Lewis Taylor vs Zac Merrett

taylor vs merrett

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

both players taken in the 2013 draft, taylor at #28 and merrett at #26.

Both players had impressive debut seasons, Lewis Taylor winning the nab rising star award and Zac Merrett was also nominated, however failing to recieve a single vote from the judging panel.

Right now as it stands if you could pick one player for your team who would you choose?

Zac Merrett hasn't gotten a huge amount of attention so far but he's already firmly entrenched in our best 22, has a great left boot and decision making, nice pace (without being lightning) and is a terrific tackler. Strong through the hips. Kicks goals as well. I've been quite vocal that i see him in a few years being our 2nd best player behind Heppell. Just a smart footballer. He's playing mostly half forward and rotating through the middle as part of rotations but i think he will have no trouble becoming a full time mid as soon as next year perhaps.

A lot of Essendon people are making the comparison with Chapman.

I must confess i have barely watched Brisbane last year so I can't really compare them but i thought i'd provide a bit of info about Merrett.

I've liked Merret from day dot...seems a natural footballer, as does Taylor but I'd pick Merret.

Taylor has the rising star award and will be a good player but if I could take one I'd take Merrett. Been a fan of him since before the draft and rated him above Taylor. He didn't rack up the big disposal numbers but his brilliant kicking meant that every time he had the ball he was dangerous. Clearly best 22 in a strong Essendon side and has more upside.

Both great players.

Would take either one but because Zerrett is wearing the black and red I pick him.

Has alot of Simon Black about how he plays. (and no I am not saying he will be that good, just that he plays like him).

at the moment taylor gun young player who runs circles around players, slightly underated because he is only like 2 ft tall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zach Merret- Age 19, 35 games averaging 22 disposals, 5.3 tackles. 2 goals in 2015
Pick 26
http://vvcap.net/db/xX0brJP68fThn6cqX9OL.htp

Lewis Taylor- Age 20, 36 games, averaging 20.9 disposals, 1.6 tackles and has kicked 8 goals in 2015.
Pick 28
2014 Rising star winner
http://vvcap.net/db/_v3fh_kdDX2gPGZhJ84q.htp

I thought these guys would be a great comparison. I cannot split them. Knock on Merret in 2015 for mine is lack of goals but in 2014 he and Taylor both scored a similar amount.

From what I've seen of them this year, Merrett's spent a lot of his time in the midfield. Taylor's been rotating between wing and the HFF probably splitting his time 50/50. Which would naturally see him score more goals. Both do damage with their run through the middle and largely rely on teammates getting the ball out to them, which is essentially what they are there for. Neither of them are supposed to be consistently winning the inside ball.

Right now, they are seriously quite equal as players. They'll both have long careers. Will be interesting to visit this in 3 years time and see where they are both at.

why do people keep making polls with lewis taylor?

Taylor for me simply because he plays for brisbane and kicks goals.

why do people keep making polls with lewis taylor?

Taylor for me simply because he plays for brisbane and kicks goals.

I made it because I thought Merret was a good comparison to him, both similar draft pick and age, both played nearly all games and doing well.

I don't think the other comparison with the bloke from the dogs is any good.

I made it because I thought Merret was a good comparison to him, both similar draft pick and age, both played nearly all games and doing well.

I don't think the other comparison with the bloke from the dogs is any good.

Agree. This poll is actually a very close and interesting.

Sadly Lewis Taylor is shaping up as a bit of a Rhys palmer

Taylor's been played forward most of the year in a side that's been getting killed. When he's had midfield time, he's been a lot better. Can't say I agree with that post at all. Whilst I don't think Taylor will be a star, he'll be a handy B Grade type imo.

Back