Traded Lewis Taylor (2013-2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Inside Football player rating Rnd 2 Brisbane Lions Vs Geelong,

Showed flashes of his class and looks a real player - 4 clearances. 6/10 – Ben Casanella - Inside Football April 3, 2014

he kinda looks like this guy a bit
Angus-Young-angus-young-5893925-343-459.jpg

He shows glimpses, but can't run out a full game at the moment.

He does have a good work rate though. He ran from the back pocket to get his goal. Was contesting a ball with reiwoltd only moments before hand, jack won it and centered the ball but was turned over to us, we went down the middle and Taylor ran about 100m to support and got the reward.

He also had the composure to have a look around, find out that he had time to kick the goal, and he actually steadied, slowed down his last 5 or 6 steps to make sure he was balanced and could kick the goal. That kind of work rate, and smarts is impressive for such a yoing player. I think he is someone that could have a massive 2nd year after a good full preseason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Country MVP each averaged about 7 or 8 disposals per game less than he did and it wasn't because they were superb users of the ball (they certainly weren't) it was because of the problems Lewis created. I really do hope I am being overly harsh with him but it is important to recognise that there are some very real issues with his game that need to be addressed.

I noticed you were a big critic of Taylor last year. How do you think he has developed this year? Still your least favorite player in the draft? It seems to me he has worked hard on his deficiency's as I haven't really seen the Sherman like running into trouble that you alluded to. Granted you would have seen a lot more of him then I have especially before he got drafted I would love to hear your thoughts on him now

Very Zorko like. Huge intensity around the contest. Game awareness and skills look fairly good so far. It seems that the only thing he urgently needs to work on is the ability to get to more contests.

Very Zorko like. Huge intensity around the contest. Game awareness and skills look fairly good so far. It seems that the only thing he urgently needs to work on is the ability to get to more contests.
He needs to work on his tackling also. A few times he hasn't put his body behind the tackle instead throws an arm out and gets brushed aside easily. Looking good from what I have seen so far.

He needs to work on his tackling also. A few times he hasn't put his body behind the tackle instead throws an arm out and gets brushed aside easily. Looking good from what I have seen so far.

That would likely be an age thing. Hes not a big kid as it is. Give him a season or two to get his body like Zorkos and we'll have to dynamite short people terrorizing the midfields and defense of teams for the next 7+ years.

I was worried about his kicking penetration but he dobbed one from a decent distance against St Kilda.

I was worried about his tackling but he's now showed me that his technique is fine, he just needs to build some upper body strength.

I was worried that he plays a bit sideways. That was wrong as he generally uses the ball very intelligently and in a positive way.

Aside from his engine, it is hard to see any reason why he won't be a significant contributor in footy for a very long time. Interesting to hear the Melbourne media mafia getting on board the bandwagon this year too.

Yeah, I think he is also playing from the forward line so obviously not involved fully in the midfield, but he has a great work ethic covering ground all the way to the back line. His goal last week, and his running goal this week he has started from the backline and ran forward showing his work rate.

He averaged 30 odd touches a game as a mid, and I think he will be like Rocky once he gets his tank up and starts playing some midfield time. Just his ability to cover ground and always being an option, picking up heaps of 1 2's. Resting forward he gives some defensive pressure and could snap a goal or two, so will be dangerous in other positions.

Quigs mentioned in his draft Review of Taylor that he runs himself into trouble, I dont think we've seen this with the position he is playing, but I can see how he does it. Moving to the midfield with bring this out a bit more, hopefully by that time, his experience allows him to control it a bit.

Luke Power is the best comparison player ive seen mentioned. People keep saying Harvey, but Power is much closer. Will have himself in the best 22 by the end of the year, much like Mayes did last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back