Official Club Stuff Liam Jones gone for pick 46

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good in the VFL, but it's a huge gap and if he couldn't seize his chances in our 2013/14 forward line, there was no hope of him going on.

Comparing Jones' recent form to that of a potential 18 year old draftee was merely a point of reference to his worth as a KPF if he was available in the AFL Draft. He's a big, strong, high marking forward with plenty of potential and with those criteria would be strongly sought after in the draft as an 18 year old. Hope that adds to the confusion. Anyway, we will watch his progress at Carlton with interest, or not.

Comparing Jones' recent form to that of a potential 18 year old draftee was merely a point of reference to his worth as a KPF if he was available in the AFL Draft. He's a big, strong, high marking forward with plenty of potential and with those criteria would be strongly sought after in the draft as an 18 year old. Hope that adds to the confusion. Anyway, we will watch his progress at Carlton with interest, or not.
Yeah I get that and it would be fantastic for an 18 year old to be performing like that in the VFL, but when they've got 5 years in the system behind them you should be expecting that in the AFL! So I just don't think you cant even compare that. But yeah agreed interesting to see how he goes.

Thus far, Jones has demonstrated he doesn't have a great tank, misjudges the ball coming in more often than not, and has been terribly inconsistent to say the least. This may be a matter of getting fitter during the off season and gaining confidence in his own ability. A new coach may do wonders for him, and good luck to him if he can be reinvigorated, but I'd suggest a complete change of attitude to doing what he doesn't want to might be a good start.

Thus far, Jones has demonstrated he doesn't have a great tank, misjudges the ball coming in more often than not, and has been terribly inconsistent to say the least. This may be a matter of getting fitter during the off season and gaining confidence in his own ability. A new coach may do wonders for him, and good luck to him if he can be reinvigorated, but I'd suggest a complete change of attitude to doing what he doesn't want to might be a good start.

Hi Bulldogs sorry if it seems coming on your board quite often however interested to see your point of view as you have seen these players develop

Does Liam possess onfield leadership? I heard VFL Grand Final he won the premiership for the Dogs. Can he be the forward General and possibly in time part of Blues leadership group?

as Blues fan still trying see roles he will be playing as soon as 2015 season starts but excited in a way. Been watching footage and think will slot in

Second question how long do you think til Tom Boyd matures into the key forward you want, still young you'd think take him least 3-4 season before takes the reigns but once he does will be good to watch

Hi Bulldogs sorry if it seems coming on your board quite often however interested to see your point of view as you have seen these players develop

Does Liam possess onfield leadership? I heard VFL Grand Final he won the premiership for the Dogs. Can he be the forward General and possibly in time part of Blues leadership group?

as Blues fan still trying see roles he will be playing as soon as 2015 season starts but excited in a way. Been watching footage and think will slot in

Second question how long do you think til Tom Boyd matures into the key forward you want, still young you'd think take him least 3-4 season before takes the reigns but once he does will be good to watch
I wouldn't trust him to cross the road on his own, he's got no hope of being a leader in any official capacity.

He'll play his best footy when he doesn't hold any responsibility at all - we'll see if that's the case considering he'll play as a third tall behind Henderson and Casboult.

Nope. Not in the slightest. No leadership at all, in fact if you try and thrust him into a leadership position he will regress.

Boyd it entirely depends on a few factors. It won't be next season, it could be the season after if he's mature enough and he handles his body well. It could be 4 seasons, which is what I would be aiming for.

Nope. Not in the slightest. No leadership at all, in fact if you try and thrust him into a leadership position he will regress.

Boyd it entirely depends on a few factors. It won't be next season, it could be the season after if he's mature enough and he handles his body well. It could be 4 seasons, which is what I would be aiming for.

When we lost Waite disappointed as wanted someone mentor young forwards coming through onfield. Hoping either Liam or Levi could mentor young Menzel and Buckley

Do you feel Boyd lacks a mentor? I felt as young as Patton was at GWS his nickname 'The General' suited him and would be good for Boyd's development. If Jones was at Dogs think he could assist progressing Tom Boyd's development?

Just feel great teams have these leaders that take command of there area, eg Tom Harley and Scarlett absolute Generals in defense

When we lost Waite disappointed as wanted someone mentor young forwards coming through onfield. Hoping either Liam or Levi could mentor young Menzel and Buckley

Do you feel Boyd lacks a mentor? I felt as young as Patton was at GWS his nickname 'The General' suited him and would be good for Boyd's development. If Jones was at Dogs think he could assist progressing Tom Boyd's development?
I don't know enough about Levi, but Jones can't do it for you. And if you were counting on him to do it, you're in for a bad time.

From all indications, not really. He speaks and handles himself very well, and is very mature for his age. Plus he has a big enough body, so I don't really think he lacks a mentor.

And you're not listening to me about Jones. If anything, Boyd would be Jones' mentor. Jones does not have a single leadership bone in his body and cannot lead or be a mentor in any way, shape or form.

Just feel great teams have these leaders that take command of there area, eg Tom Harley and Scarlett absolute Generals in defense
Jones is in desperate need of a mentor himself.
I don't think you know who you're getting.

I don't know enough about Levi, but Jones can't do it for you. And if you were counting on him to do it, you're in for a bad time.

From all indications, not really. He speaks and handles himself very well, and is very mature for his age. Plus he has a big enough body, so I don't really think he lacks a mentor.

And you're not listening to me about Jones. If anything, Boyd would be Jones' mentor. Jones does not have a single leadership bone in his body and cannot lead or be a mentor in any way, shape or form.

Thanks you have answered my question

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See you Liam.

I hope you get the warm cuddly treatment you crave from that fuzzy old teddy bear Mick Malthouse once your painfully inconsistent form gets too much for him to bear, instead of the mean old Bulldogs who actually tried to help you and teach you to work hard. :)

On the other hand: Olde worlde dour Calvinist McCartney from the provinces failed big time to get players like Jones to play well .. primarily because he couldn't coach or understand players with flair ... and then gets in the Geelong group think and puts people like Mooney in charge of fwd develpment.

If Jones was at Dogs think he could assist progressing Tom Boyd's development?

He could have assisted by showing how not to do it, by being a stepladder in marking contests, and showing Boyd where the club toilets were and which bakeries did the best Banh mi.

Other than that, I wouldn't trust Jones to teach my grandmother to suck eggs.

Haha sorry I didn't really mean to be rude but tbh I just don't really get your point, you could say the same about 300+ players in the AFL "if they showed the same form they are showing at 23, at 18, they would be a high pick" its not exactly a huge call :p

In regards to the rest of your post, I completely agree, he has some huge upside and if he unlocks that he is a massive steal for Carlton. After all we've heard about him this offseason it doesn't really sound like he's got the will to get the best out of himself though tbh, and at this stage its probably more likely he's never anything more than an average forward who will put in a blinder a few times a year. A fresh start might be exactly what he needs, and after getting Boyd I wish we could have talked him into staying. Could have been great together.

I like to watch the games from pretty close to the fwd pocket / half fwd area and saw Jones do some remarkable things, show some great ability and generally trying hard. I reckon other coaches like Eade , Wallace, Parkin, would have put the acid on him but would have kept him in the line up.

He could have assisted by showing how not to do it, by being a stepladder in marking contests, and showing Boyd where the club toilets were and which bakeries did the best Banh mi.

Other than that, I wouldn't trust Jones to teach my grandmother to suck eggs.

Jones himself definitely needed better teachers then what he got under Macca.

Starting to think that way too doggies. He's either a troll, stupid or knows very little about football. Either way I think the time has come for him to take his leave from our board.

How am I trolling? just ask you a question and that's it, I post questions on other teams boards too. If you would of noticed I said 'thanks you have answered my question'

I haven't continued after that, have I? I ask questions because I don't know much about players wanting to know their qualities and what they bring to the table as they are coming to my team. Anyways thanks again and no need to stay any longer as mentioned you answered my question. Agree I'll take leave from your board as no business left on here!

Anyways have nice weekend

Please tell me you understand the connection between Jonathon Patton and the nickname of "The General". I suspect that you don't, so let me give you a hint. It has absolutely nothing to do with his on field abilities. Even a player with the dubious leadership qualities of Liam Jones, would've had the same nickname had he been born Liam Patton.

Please tell me you understand the connection between Jonathon Patton and the nickname of "The General". I suspect that you don't, so let me give you a hint. It has absolutely nothing to do with his on field abilities. Even a player with the dubious leadership qualities of Liam Jones, would've had the same nickname had he been born Liam Patton.

WW2 General Patton, John Patton probs gained it through leadership, bravery, his size (all of the above)

Maybe I'm wrong, look if we continue this then I'll be accused of trolling, but anyways every piece of feedback terms of questions are appreciated

If Redpath is retained then I expect Boyd and himself to pair up in everything over preseason.
IMO there is no place for Redpath in a forward line where Boyd is the main KPF. Where does he play - forward pocket? Not suitable. CHF? - too slow and not agile enough. I think his days at WB are probably numbered.

WW2 General Patton, John Patton probs gained it through leadership, bravery, his size (all of the above)

Maybe I'm wrong, look if we continue this then I'll be accused of trolling, but anyways every piece of feedback terms of questions are appreciated

Of course your sound reasoning is how he got his nickname. It follows the long proud tradition of creativity and originality when Australians bestow a nickname on somebody. I don't think you're trolling BTW, that Generally takes some creativity and originality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back