Traded Liam Jones to Carlton for pick 46

Remove this Banner Ad

He is in the David Mensch mould. Monsters guys in the reserves but does not have enough tricks to play consistent AFL footy. Would be a handy back up but thats it. Would be very surprised if the dogs got a second round pick for him. Brisbane or St Kilda would be his best chance for regular games.

He is in the David Mensch mould. Monsters guys in the reserves but does not have enough tricks to play consistent AFL footy. Would be a handy back up but thats it. Would be very surprised if the dogs got a second round pick for him. Brisbane or St Kilda would be his best chance for regular games.

He'd definitely play regularly for us but I can't get excited about the possibility, even though his Dad played for the Saints. Strikes me as not quite AFL quality. We've got enough mediocre tall forwards.

Rightly or wrongly, we'll get * all for him. Probably a 3rd round pick.

Opposition supporters greatly underrate Jones. Put him in a side where he isn't getting 2 or 3 opponents at a contest and watch him flourish. I'm pretty pissed off that he's going to end up leaving. 6 years of development thrown out because he's not prepared to work hard enough to keep his spot in the side. Gifted games for years and quits the moment he's challenged with other guys like Campbell and Redpath getting their chance at AFL (deservedly, from their VFL form).

Rightly or wrongly, we'll get **** all for him. Probably a 3rd round pick.

Opposition supporters greatly underrate Jones. Put him in a side where he isn't getting 2 or 3 opponents at a contest and watch him flourish. I'm pretty pissed off that he's going to end up leaving. 6 years of development thrown out because he's not prepared to work hard enough to keep his spot in the side. Gifted games for years and quits the moment he's challenged with other guys like Campbell and Redpath getting their chance at AFL (deservedly, from their VFL form).
Yep I'd be annoyed as well. That said there's a bit of you make your bed, you lie in it.

Why was he gifted so many games when he was struggling just to then be dropped when he's out of contract (I presume he is).

Plus if he had some help (which he did this year with Crameri, Stringer and Dalhaus being capable forwards) he might've produced more.

For the life of me, having watched some of his junior footy, I can't work out why he hasn't been tried at CHB. I think all young forwards struggling to get in to games should have a spell down back at times. He's big and athletic. He should've finished the year at CHB instead of Mark Austin.

Personally I don't see Redpath (or Cordy or Campbell for that matter) being anything more than a second ruck who can be ok forward. Similarly Crameri, Stringer even Bontempelli are good options as the 3rd or 4th big guy down forward. Jones was the one player on your list who actually has the attributes in terms of size, athleticism and potential talent to be a solid proper key forward. It would be sad to see him go especially if at a bargain price.

Yep I'd be annoyed as well. That said there's a bit of you make your bed, you lie in it.

Why was he gifted so many games when he was struggling just to then be dropped when he's out of contract (I presume he is).

Plus if he had some help (which he did this year with Crameri, Stringer and Dalhaus being capable forwards) he might've produced more.

For the life of me, having watched some of his junior footy, I can't work out why he hasn't been tried at CHB. I think all young forwards struggling to get in to games should have a spell down back at times. He's big and athletic. He should've finished the year at CHB instead of Mark Austin.

Personally I don't see Redpath (or Cordy or Campbell for that matter) being anything more than a second ruck who can be ok forward. Similarly Crameri, Stringer even Bontempelli are good options as the 3rd or 4th big guy down forward. Jones was the one player on your list who actually has the attributes in terms of size, athleticism and potential talent to be a solid proper key forward. It would be sad to see him go especially if at a bargain price.
Purely because we had nothing else. The "key forwards" (I use that term loosely for some of these) that Jones has had to deal with at the Dogs are: Barry Hall, Matthew Panos, Tom Hill, Ayce Cordy, Tom Campbell, Jack Redpath. Then when Campbell, Cordy and Redpath were pushing for games with very good VFL form, they were given games as Jones wasn't performing. You would have seen his abysmal effort against the Dees.

He has been tried at CHB a few times. He literally cost us the game against Adelaide earlier in the year in that position. It was awful.

I don't see Redpath being any good either, but he deserved the shot. Campbell is going to be a very good ruckman, and deserved a place in the team. He can do alright up forward.

I'll be really disappointed to lose Jones. Just think the penny's about to drop for him.

Hope it's just a scare tactic from his management and the club signs him for a little bit more than originally intended.
Don't mind him but his goal kicking was shite.....
He's put a mountain of work into it and he's actually a reasonably reliable set shot for goal, now.

He has the odd shocking miss, but they all do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rate him. Dogs should be demanding a 2nd rounder.
Having said that if he comes to North cheaply i won't be upset.
If he has nominated carlton it would make sense though. Will get more opportunity there than with us

I wouldn't be against taking him with a 3rd rounder.

Problem is he is listed at 197 cm but plays like a small forward.

Change that mentality and could have a potential 50+ goal kicker.

I wouldn't be against taking him with a 3rd rounder.

Problem is he is listed at 197 cm but plays like a small forward.

Change that mentality and could have a potential 50+ goal kicker.
I think you have confused him with Grant.

Jones is one of the strongest pack marks in the game. Both him and Casboult in the same forward line could be interesting..

I wouldnt mind seeing him in our forward line as maybe the 3rd tall.

Although he's proved he can take a big grab, they were all when he gets on his bike and a good run up but he doesnt seem to have the bulk/strength in those one on one wrestles...which i think doesnt make him suitable to be the no.1 forward.

Could envisage Henderson and Casboult taking the 2 biggest defenders and Jones getting the third defender and playing a more roaming role like Gunston...this could see him flourish.

Bulldog fans...hows his tank? Can he play that more lead up HF, roaming role?

I wouldnt mind seeing him in our forward line as maybe the 3rd tall.

Although he's proved he can take a big grab, they were all when he gets on his bike and a good run up but he doesnt seem to have the bulk/strength in those one on one wrestles...which i think doesnt make him suitable to be the no.1 forward.

Could envisage Henderson and Casboult taking the 2 biggest defenders and Jones getting the third defender and playing a more roaming role like Gunston...this could see him flourish.

Bulldog fans...hows his tank? Can he play that more lead up HF, roaming role?
Probably the biggest knock on him. Not up to scratch for AFL standard, and main reason he isn't a better player.

Absolute dudski. Worth third rounder at most will be delisted soon enough

Remove this Banner Ad

Back