Traded Liam Jones to Carlton for pick 46

Unorth

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dogs fans - do you think Jones would thrive as the 2nd fwd? From my limited views of him he always struck me as someone who didn't have the right mentality to be the primary forward like Cloke or Tomahawk. Maybe playing a secondary role alongside Henderson might help him. If Mick wants him to be a mini-Cloke he might be disappointed.

He isn't really the type to play as a #1 target, at least how he is now. His best season was probably in 2011, playing next to Hall. His kicking has improved quite a bit since then. The deal is with Jones is that he's not big enough to be the 'gorilla' key forward, and will rarely win 1v1 marking contests. When Jones receives a good kick, and he can have a decent run at it, is when he'll take the marks. I guess it could be argued that most forwards would have a good year playing next to Barry Hall, but it is what it is. Playing next to Henderson and Casboult would probably enable him to be an effective 3rd forward, and to a lesser degree if he's the 2nd forward. Not entirely sure that playing as a 2nd/3rd forward would fix his mental issues though. If things don't go his way early he tends to just pack it in for the day, hence 5 out of his 10 games this season finishing with him kicking no goals.

The Dogs would have to sell Jones' potential as a 2nd/3rd forward to the Blues; undoubtedly they'd have done their homework, and would know Jones is not likely to ever thrive as the #1 option. Maybe he'll peak and become that, but maybe he won't. I personally have never been a fan of Jones, but as a 2nd/3rd forward I'll admit he may be valuable.

Hva sher a

Club Legend
Nov 3, 2009
right in front of you
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Everton
He isn't really the type to play as a #1 target, at least how he is now. His best season was probably in 2011, playing next to Hall. His kicking has improved quite a bit since then. The deal is with Jones is that he's not big enough to be the 'gorilla' key forward, and will rarely win 1v1 marking contests. When Jones receives a good kick, and he can have a decent run at it, is when he'll take the marks. I guess it could be argued that most forwards would have a good year playing next to Barry Hall, but it is what it is. Playing next to Henderson and Casboult would probably enable him to be an effective 3rd forward, and to a lesser degree if he's the 2nd forward. Not entirely sure that playing as a 2nd/3rd forward would fix his mental issues though. If things don't go his way early he tends to just pack it in for the day, hence 5 out of his 10 games this season finishing with him kicking no goals.

The Dogs would have to sell Jones' potential as a 2nd/3rd forward to the Blues; undoubtedly they'd have done their homework, and would know Jones is not likely to ever thrive as the #1 option. Maybe he'll peak and become that, but maybe he won't. I personally have never been a fan of Jones, but as a 2nd/3rd forward I'll admit he may be valuable.

Now that you mention it, my best impressions of Liam would've coincided with him playing with Hall. And I probably rated him more on potential back then.
Has he been tried as a backman? I can't remember if he was fast enough.

Unorth

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Now that you mention it, my best impressions of Liam would've coincided with him playing with Hall. And I probably rated him more on potential back then.
Has he been tried as a backman? I can't remember if he was fast enough.

From what I can remember, he's been sent down back once at AFL level. It was our game against Adelaide this season; 15 and a half minutes in we were up by a point. Jones had been moved to defence after having about 6 touches with no score at all. He promptly dropped an absolute sitter in the Crows goal square, and they grabbed it and goaled. A couple of minutes later, Jones was kicking out of the backline...Right to a Crow. Literally no Dogs player around where the kick went to. The Crows promptly goaled from that turnover. At AFL level, he hasn't been seen in defence since. To be fair to him it was his first time down there, and it was in a key period of the match. Probably half the coach's fault for moving him there, but that's a whole other issue.

In the VFL grand final he took some key marks in defence, however, in the last quarter. Maybe that can be translated to AFL level. I think just with playing him in defence, it would never be to Carlton's advantage (Unless he was developed there specifically). If he's playing a shocking match, then moving him to defence will lead to turnovers as he's mentally gone. If he's playing well enough to warrant not being moved there, then he's probably kicking goals. And whilst his kick for goal has improved, his field kicking and handballing accuracy/decision making is not so great. In terms of having tools, Jones does not really have many except going for the occasional high-flying mark.

Hva sher a

Club Legend
Nov 3, 2009
right in front of you
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Everton
From what I can remember, he's been sent down back once at AFL level. It was our game against Adelaide this season; 15 and a half minutes in we were up by a point. Jones had been moved to defence after having about 6 touches with no score at all. He promptly dropped an absolute sitter in the Crows goal square, and they grabbed it and goaled. A couple of minutes later, Jones was kicking out of the backline...Right to a Crow. Literally no Dogs player around where the kick went to. The Crows promptly goaled from that turnover. At AFL level, he hasn't been seen in defence since. To be fair to him it was his first time down there, and it was in a key period of the match. Probably half the coach's fault for moving him there, but that's a whole other issue.

In the VFL grand final he took some key marks in defence, however, in the last quarter. Maybe that can be translated to AFL level. I think just with playing him in defence, it would never be to Carlton's advantage (Unless he was developed there specifically). If he's playing a shocking match, then moving him to defence will lead to turnovers as he's mentally gone. If he's playing well enough to warrant not being moved there, then he's probably kicking goals. And whilst his kick for goal has improved, his field kicking and handballing accuracy/decision making is not so great. In terms of having tools, Jones does not really have many except going for the occasional high-flying mark.

Yikes - doesn't sound like he's AFL quality at all. Would love him to go to Carlton. :) Hope you get a decent return for him.

Dogs fans - do you think Jones would thrive as the 2nd fwd? From my limited views of him he always struck me as someone who didn't have the right mentality to be the primary forward like Cloke or Tomahawk. Maybe playing a secondary role alongside Henderson might help him. If Mick wants him to be a mini-Cloke he might be disappointed.
Unfortunately yes, I do think he will thrive as a 2nd string forward. Sigh.

Jones and Tutt are both rubbish, people thinking we will get anything of value out of them are deluded, there is a reason both of them have spent more time at VFL level than AFL, when both are exactly the type of player we require.

Both are mentally weak and cant handle any sort of blow torch being applied to them, Mick with chew them up and spit them out, would be surprised if either are on Calrton's list within two years.

Take them, do what you want with them, couldn't care less about getting anything for them.

btemplar88

Blues4Flag2020
Mar 9, 2012
Tasmania
AFL Club
Carlton
Jones and Tutt are both rubbish, people thinking we will get anything of value out of them are deluded, there is a reason both of them have spent more time at VFL level than AFL, when both are exactly the type of player we require.

Both are mentally weak and cant handle any sort of blow torch being applied to them, Mick with chew them up and spit them out, would be surprised if either are on Calrton's list within two years.

Take them, do what you want with them, couldn't care less about getting anything for them.

So its decided. Jones and Tutt for our 4th round pick (currently pick 62)
Moving on to the next wanna be blues players

cammo78

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Mooroolbark FC, Arizona Cardinals
How did that work out for you ?

A lot better than your handshake agreement with Tom Boyd and his old man...

Stronger-than-Oak1.jpg

Sep 27, 2004
Dr Geoffrey Edelsten's jacuzzi
AFL Club
Carlton
Pretty good. We took dyed in the wool Blue Bagger Tom Boyd and generously gave you Liam Jones as consolation
For your sake, I hope you can avoid the spoon with Cooney, Griffen, Jones, Giansiracusa and Higgins leaving. IIRC, just Biggs and Boyd were brought in. Similar senior exodus to the Saints who are rebuilding and chasing early picks. Kids will run out of steam with Boyd a second year player.
We were losing him regardless but thanks.

Enjoy Jones, make sure Mick doesn't raise his voice at him too much. He's a bit sensitive
Do you have a coach? :p

Sam95

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For your sake, I hope you can avoid the spoon with Cooney, Griffen, Jones, Giansiracusa and Higgins leaving. IIRC, just Biggs and Boyd were brought in. Similar senior exodus to the Saints who are rebuilding and chasing early picks. Kids will run out of steam with Boyd a second year player.

Do you have a coach? :p
better then having squib murphy

Back