Toast Liam "Pup" Shiels.

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the way Liam goes about it but he is a mile off super-star.

Runs well, kicking below average on the run and shots at goal in bottom quartile for guys that play midfield or more forward.

Will never be AA so Superstar is a stupid term.

Will be interesting to see if he proves a better player than Adam Selwood. I see him as a poor man;s version of him.

Every team needs troops though...

I frequently upgrade his game from "good" to "very good" after watching the replay. Does a lot of things you don't notice first time around.

Shiels tackles to hurt yet rarely gives away frees anymore as his technique is sound. He's our best two way runner and can negate quality opposition mids whilst finding plenty of footy himself. He's strong overhead, good by hand and an above average kick on both sides of his body up to 35 metres. Beyond 35 his kicks get a little 'floaty' and tend to spin funny.
However, Liam is clearly the worst set shot at the Hawks and his lack of improvement in this area is cause for (some) concern.
If the coaching staff can help rectify Shiels' inaccuracy he'll be the complete midfielder.

Last edited:

Another 8 tackles in the loss. The kid is a machine.

Loved his desperation when he had a 50-60m foot race with Riewoldt to our defensive goal line.

He's not the quickest bloke you'd necessarily want in that situation but I just knew that he wouldn't let Riewoldt beat him. Would do anything to stop a goal, as illustrated when he cannoned into and wrapped himself around the goal post in the process.

Would be in the top couple in the B&F.

Defensively he was as good as ever but offensively he was a little quiet didn't get a ton of footy inside or out, was he running a hard tag or was his running to provide an option not being honored?

I like the way Liam goes about it but he is a mile off super-star.

Runs well, kicking below average on the run and shots at goal in bottom quartile for guys that play midfield or more forward.

Will never be AA so Superstar is a stupid term.

Will be interesting to see if he proves a better player than Adam Selwood. I see him as a poor man;s version of him.

Every team needs troops though...
I just read this post when it got bumped.
Poor mans Adam Selwood? Are you serious?
Sheils is a vital cog to a premiership team, adam Selwood would not get a game in this side.
You obviously don't watch the work he does without the ball, the tackles, pressure, racks up possessions .
Maybe you only like the guys who take the hangers or kick 5 goals.

Open your eyes mate, the kid is so underrated externally it's not funny.
I bet he would be one of clarkos favs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's actually crazy that he only just turned 30.

Could have multiple solid years left, however I do wonder if it's necessary that it's in brown and gold considering our current predicament.

Also need to consider the wear and tear on his body after 12 years of bash and crash footy.

Will leave Hawthorn at some point as a genuine club legend though.

Will play over or close to 250 games and leave a 3 time premiership player. Massive.

Has and is a great servant of the hawks. He strength is the negating mid, which he still can do to the highest level. However due to the lack of Polish in our midfield and his age I think he would be one better suited at another club. There are just to many limited midfielders in our team and cuts need to be made .

Some of you may know that I played most of my junior career opposed alongside Pup and always knew he had the talent to match it at AFL Level

Just want to give my 2 cents and say it's great to see that he is doing fantastically well and playing good consistent footy.

You lucky Hawks fans have an absolute superstar on your hands.

Will be a 250+ game player for the Hawks.

His attack on the ball and ball winning skills are invaluable. Just wait for the year he starts getting on the end of some goals and becoming a goal kicking midfielder.

On ya Shielsy, fantastic to see you doing so well!
OP was on the money!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back