Life as a fringe AFL player can suck

Jimbos1

Team Captain
May 6, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
It seems to me that Duffy's biggest obstacle is how many players we have on the list who are capable of playing the same role. He plays as a small forward and we've already got guys like Ballas, Walters, Crozier, Simpson and Neale who play that same role. Seems to me he's going to suffer the same fate as Mellington unless he can turn himself into a genuine mid.
Well Walters is likely to miss the whole season after they announced he needs surgery. But yeah its still unlikely he will play, unless simpson, neale and crozier get injured. Or he could just be a better option than simpson.

slicedndiced

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2014
still sinking
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well Walters is likely to miss the whole season after they announced he needs surgery. But yeah its still unlikely he will play, unless simpson, neale and crozier get injured. Or he could just be a better option than simpson.

GIF1-1.gif

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
My First thought when reading the thread title was watching Tom Vandeluer (I think) trying to convince the people at the Gate during the Bombers game that he did in fact play for the club. They asked for his ID, he rifled around for it, very sheepishly. Life as a fringe AFL player can suck.
Wait, what? He was trying to get into the game and they weren't letting him and he literally did the old Josh Gibson-at-a-nightclub "do you know who I am?" Stiff!

Anyway Duffy's average. Life as a fringe AFL player is not hard. Even a rookie makes, what, $50,000? A 20-year old on that cash would be loving it. Even if he lived interstate. You could afford to share a house in a nice suburb, eat really well, and have more frivolities than the other kids your age who toil away at university or work in pubs or have an apprenticeship. Plus there's waking up every morning seeing at least one or two mates and kicking the footy for hours and staying fit. And going into town for lunch. And not worrying about how many more times you can do that this week. Life as a fringe AFL footballer would be something most people would absolutely love. The 'angst' of not getting a game means bupkis. It's a privilege.

pokerspiv

Premiership Player
Jun 23, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
$50,000 a year is hardly living the high life in Perth. You couldn't afford to live within 20km of the CBD for a start.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
$50,000 a year is hardly living the high life in Perth. You couldn't afford to live within 20km of the CBD for a start.
But at age 18-22? Better than a majority of other people your age. After that you have to make the adult choice.

Jan 5, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
But at age 18-22? Better than a majority of other people your age. After that you have to make the adult choice.

No not really mate.

The average wage in Perth is $1100 per week.

Storemen where I work earn 50k a year at base level excluding overtime and most of them are young blokes around 19 - 23 years old.

Things are so expensive here that people are scrambling to go north to earn the fifo wages to keep their heads above water.

slicedndiced

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2014
still sinking
AFL Club
Fremantle
No not really mate.

The average wage in Perth is $1100 per week.

Storemen where I work earn 50k a year at base level excluding overtime and most of them are young blokes around 19 - 23 years old.

Things are so expensive here that people are scrambling to go north to earn the fifo wages to keep their heads above water.

It's been a hell of a shock for me after over 3 years away.

Bloody ridiculous to be honest.

Back