Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2002
Torquay
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
Lin Jong come on down.
With Cooney and Griffen gone, there is definitely a spot for someone with an initial burst of speed to break away from a stoppage/contest. We are light on in this department. Probably the best player on our list to do this only played a handful of games last year.
So Ling Jong come on down. I believe if he is given a more offensive role by a new coach he could explode next year. Granted he is still working on his decision making and kicking yet his strength and breaking away from stoppages as evidenced in the VFL finals and throughout the year is second to none at our club.
It players like Jong who may flourish under a new coach. Gee I'm excited about next year, all the turmoil was needed for this club to advance.

Could be a Fyfe type player for us. Goal kicking, ball winning tall mid who can take a mark and has a bit of pace to burn. Even has the poor disposal of Fyfe!

Seriously though, if he can play 15 games next year and Smith can do the same while also increasing Hrovats midfield time, we should cover Griff and Coon leaving.

Could be a Fyfe type player for us. Goal kicking, ball winning tall mid who can take a mark and has a bit of pace to burn. Even has the poor disposal of Fyfe!

Seriously though, if he can play 15 games next year and Smith can do the same while also increasing Hrovats midfield time, we should cover Griff and Coon leaving.

Lin Jong come on down.
With Cooney and Griffen gone, there is definitely a spot for someone with an initial burst of speed to break away from a stoppage/contest. We are light on in this department. Probably the best player on our list to do this only played a handful of games last year.
So Ling Jong come on down. I believe if he is given a more offensive role by a new coach he could explode next year. Granted he is still working on his decision making and kicking yet his strength and breaking away from stoppages as evidenced in the VFL finals and throughout the year is second to none at our club.
It players like Jong who may flourish under a new coach. Gee I'm excited about next year, all the turmoil was needed for this club to advance.

I agree LB, he took monumental steps late in the season and one can't help but think there's more to come, much more in fact.....That said given the step up in class from the VFL and his lack of experience and developing fitness base we'll need to exercise patience.

I'd also love to see the new coach (provided we appoint one in time) talk Tutty around for the same reasons you mention above.... Griffen/Cooney/Higgins all missing will open up spots for him one would think?

Big fan of Jong too. Just in terms of breaking away from stoppages, I think it's hard to look past Dahlhaus as being our best at that. Could he be in for more midfield time? Don't be mistaken for me not rating Jong in terms of breakaway speed etc, just think Dahl is ahead of him in that regard

I could see Lin Jong and Shane Biggs both being used through the
midfield and making an impact this year along with Luke Dahlhaus
in bursts as we lack leg speed. Unfortunately i have not applied
for the coaching job and who ever comes in could see things in
a completely different way all coaches have favorites.

Jong, M.Boyd and Wallis in the same team...That could pose serious problems. You can do two of them, but all three? That's a whole lot of butchered kicks going around. He'll probably have to wait till 2016, when M.Boyd's (Presumably) gone, to get a regular gig.

That said I would really like to see Jong get games. He plays within his limitations, having (iirc) 24 handballs compared to 7 kicks in the VFL grand final. That's a sign of an intelligent player, as he learnt how to best play his game. Add to that his physical traits; his speed, height, suicidal tendencies...I get excited thinking about Jong in a couple of years, with an increased tank.

Also (For obvious reasons), he has extreme marketing potential, particularly for the ever diverse western suburbs. The 'Linsanity' the New York Knicks had increased their popularity and brought more people to their games; if Lin Jong can do something close to what Jeremy Lin did than we could expect the same result. Huge potential on and off the field.

Felt like Jong will replace picken role in the future
He'll be more than that I reckon. So excited for this kid this year, I was flip flopping a little bit I rated him, then i didn't then i did again, but his finish to the year sold him to me. Expecting a breakout year and 15 + games. He has an unreal burst from a stoppage and his game is just improving at a rapid rate. I don't even think his disposal is too bad most of the time, he's a pretty sound kick actually. Love what he's going to bring to the team because he offers genuine line breaking pace, he runs hard both ways but he's still naturally a contested ball beast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#bemoreasian
f.gif

if Jong can do what he did at VFL level in the AFL level, we will have a very exciting midfield.
As mentioned earlier, losing Grif, and Cooney to some extent, we lost our burst through packs players. Jong can do this. When watching the VFL grand final, he was the most exciting player to watch.
imagine the size of our midfield to with bonts (192 cms), Jack Macrae (191 cms) and Lin Jong (188 cms)
Add in Libba (182 cms) and Wallis (185cms). Libba and Wallis ain't that tall, but Libba did well to grow as tall as he did.

If Jong can have a big year and cement himself into best 22 along with Wallis, that could be our future starting midfield there. Has everything you really want. Libba and Wallis as your hard contested ball players, who also work well together.
Bonts and Macrae on the wings, using there skill to kick to the forwards, along with being a pretty decent height to rest forward, and take good marks in the midfield when ball kicked out of the backline.
Jong is the player that just sees ball, grabs, it and somehow comes out with it, out of a pack of 4 or so players. Perfect mix

I have high hopes for Jong but let's not start mentioning him alongside Griffen or comparing him to Fyfe. After the Swans game in the second half of the year I honestly thought he was gone. Ok we got pummelled that day but Lin looked completely outclassed and out of his depth. Full credit to Dalrymple who must have worked wonders with him towards the end of the vfl season.
All I'm saying is that was VFL and he has a long way to go. I think he and Redpath are our two most important developmental players moving forward.

For Jong to replace Griffen or Cooney, he needs to first find the football, something he wasn't able to do that much few senior games.
He can match those 2 for speed but I disposal skills or his decision making in is not in their ball park yet.
I'll give him he is probably a better defender than both but we don't need another tagger.
Comparing him to Fyfe is Laughable

Impressed me heaps in the VFL grand final. His run and pressure was unreal.

He looks to have a good tank. Excited to see what comes of him.

Cooney averaged 9 touches in his first 10 games, griffen 11. Jong averages 14 for his first 10.Boyd looked a very average battler in his first couple of seasons. Jong has courage & athleticism and seems to have the right attitude. I am going to reserve judgement, he might surprise

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have already spent a small fortune to dispatch a highly qualified mad scientist to Melbourne with instructions to kidnap Barry Hall and Jack Redpath so as to transfer Bazza's footy brain into Redpath's head. The bulk of the expense was for the shipping, set up and calibration of the equipment. I'm thinking I could get him to add on a Griffen to Jong transfer fairly cheaply. I'll look into that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back