Lin Jong Elevated for the remainder of 2014

Nov 1, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Whilst I know this is true, it still never fails to surprise me. It's almost like he's disguised as a plodder.
I think that might be more because of his endurance. You can really see bursts of speed at points, but especially at the end of games he'll look a bit slow because he is so tired. Once he gets his endurance up, we'll get to see that speed more consistently.

He's the quickest at the club over 20m and is strong - he has some tools.

He'll never be a play-maker and we know that but he may fill in a few roles for us in the next few years.

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
He's the quickest at the club over 20m and is strong - he has some tools.

He'll never be a play-maker and we know that but he may fill in a few roles for us in the next few years.
One thing I like about him is that he's a very big boy and at the pace he's capable of, he will destroy packs eventually.
I think he has a huge upside, and I'm really unsure why people are so down on him. Has plenty of tools, great attitude and has shown tremendous improvement. The exact type of bloke you keep on a list.

One thing I like about him is that he's a very big boy and at the pace he's capable of, he will destroy packs eventually.
I think he has a huge upside, and I'm really unsure why people are so down on him. Has plenty of tools, great attitude and has shown tremendous improvement. The exact type of bloke you keep on a list.
As a general point I dislike people being down on a player (whoever he is) if he just hasn't got the skills or the physical characteristics required. But we do have quite a few "whippers" among our supporters who will bag such players. Every club does. It seems pointless and counter-productive to me. Not to mention harsh on the player who is trying his guts out.

I can understand (and agree with) people being down on a player who doesn't have much ticker, discipline or team spirit. However Jong is definitely not in that category.

You also have a feeling that Dolph Ziggler will be world champion again. I don't trust your feelings...
It's going to happen. All you have to do, is...
nxt-050114-bo-dallas-1.jpg

He's definitely improved his game this year though, which is only a positive. I just don't think he deserves a permanent call up to the senior list on what we've seen. It's either that, delist, or delist them draft him again as a rookie.
I do think he has tools to work with, and his injuries have stopped us from seeing a large amount of him, so there should be a bit of lenience, but I just don't see where he fits long term. Tagger, maybe, but we haven't seen much of that at AFL level. His decision making and kicking has improved a lot, but I'd still say it's below par, so as a play maker off half back he'd struggle. We have too much talent on the inside for him to go there. So it limits him (in my eyes) to stopper in the backline.

I'm also of the opinion of not yet being totally sold on him but fine with him getting more opportunity. I am intrigued to what we do with him at end of the year in regards to whether he is delisted, upgraded or drafted as a rookie again. I can see it going any of those ways and I wouldn't be too annoyed with any either. I'm thinking we will upgrade him.

Also Dolph better be champion again, even thought I know he probably wont be :(

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
Some of the usual suspects have said he wouldn't be on any other list .
I would be very confident he will find another AFL home he we cut him.
Let me tell you he is way ahead of a lot of spuds in the VFL on AFL lists.
Compare him with the Essendon "young guns" playing last week.

Some of the usual suspects have said he wouldn't be on any other list .
I would be very confident he will find another AFL home he we cut him.
Let me tell you he is way ahead of a lot of spuds in the VFL on AFL lists.
Compare him with the Essendon "young guns" playing last week.
Totally agree. It's a good sign for our young list that he's not in the top or even secondary bracket of good young players that we have at the club, but if he were at Richmond or Carlton, he'd be in their best 8-10 players aged 21 and younger.
I'm guessing 10-15 other clubs would have him on their list easily - even for just his upside.
For a rookie selection it's astute drafting (the marketability of him aside, imagine if he becomes a 100+ gamer), he's looking at the very least to be a solid long-term player.

This is his official job interview for next year. He can't be retained as a Rookie (he's had 3 years on it) so if he doesn't cut it in these next few weeks then Linsanity will have to look elsewhere. The fact that he wasn't in the senior squad this week is not a good sign for him.

This is his official job interview for next year. He can't be retained as a Rookie (he's had 3 years on it) so if he doesn't cut it in these next few weeks then Linsanity will have to look elsewhere. The fact that he wasn't in the senior squad this week is not a good sign for him.
You would think so.
However Redpath was elevated and not selected first week. He came in the following week.

I'd like to see him perform well in the VFL again and get another crack at it before the end of the year. He's had a few months to work on the deficiencies that would have been pointed out to him earlier in the year, so I'd like to see how far he has progressed.
MC and JMac might too.

G-Mo77

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Do you think any of them will make it? I think they're all on the 3rd year aren't they?

Considering losing Wallis, Higgins is up and down I think they've had little choice but to do in in terms of that extra utility type player. Unfortunately for Ling he has struggled to improve over the last 2 seasons but I am not surprised to see them do this.

Not sure if they're going to cut him loose just yet. I get the inkling that they might keep him on for the time being

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
Considering losing Wallis, Higgins is up and down I think they've had little choice but to do in in terms of that extra utility type player. Unfortunately for Ling he has struggled to improve over the last 2 seasons but I am not surprised to see them do this.

Not sure if they're going to cut him loose just yet. I get the inkling that they might keep him on for the time being

Not sure Mike you have come to that conclusion ?
I think he has continued to improve.
I remember seeing a 20 yr old Cross , let me tell you he was bloody hopeless !

Not sure Mike you have come to that conclusion ?
I think he has continued to improve.
I remember seeing a 20 yr old Cross , let me tell you he was bloody hopeless !

No, Jong's progression has been slow, similar to Johannisen in some aspects. We haven't seen much of him in the seniors, he hasn't developed the tank to play a full game yet. As I stated I don't think the club will let him go just yet, he'll be here for a little while yet. But on Jong, it's sink or swim in my opinion. He's going to have to prove his capabilities if he wants to keep a spot on the list.

Apr 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He's quick, hard as a rock, tremendous vertical leap and doesn't know the meaning of "no". Sure he's still learning the game, but tell me 1 player with more upside than Jong!. ???? Still thinking???

With the right coaching, Jong could turn into anything.

He's quick, hard as a rock, tremendous vertical leap and doesn't know the meaning of "no". Sure he's still learning the game, but tell me 1 player with more upside than Jong!. ???? Still thinking???

With the right coaching, Jong could turn into anything.
Bontempelli, Hunter, Hrovat, Stringer, JJ, Roberts. That's 6 without even thinking.

The thing is that he's never going to be a natural footballer. That's not to say that he won't become a good player, but the fact is I believe his ceiling is limited as opposed to someone like Bontempelli or Stringer who are just such naturals. It's another example of overrating someone because they have great athletic attributes, but not great football attributes.

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
Bontempelli, Hunter, Hrovat, Stringer, JJ, Roberts. That's 6 without even thinking.

The thing is that he's never going to be a natural footballer. That's not to say that he won't become a good player, but the fact is I believe his ceiling is limited as opposed to someone like Bontempelli or Stringer who are just such naturals. It's another example of overrating someone because they have great athletic attributes, but not great football attributes.

Your argument implies he has no idea how to play the game ?
But I can see some real improvement there. As you say he is not a natural anywhere near those boys you mention, but neither is Picken and he has carved out a decent AFL career.
I am hoping he becomes a run with player that is bloody hard to shake. No doubt he need to get his insurance up on what it is now.

Your argument implies he has no idea how to play the game ?
But I can see some real improvement there. As you say he is not a natural anywhere near those boys you mention, but neither is Picken and he has carved out a decent AFL career.
I am hoping he becomes a run with player that is bloody hard to shake. No doubt he need to get his insurance up on what it is now.
He doesn't have no idea, but he's not a natural. I like him, but I'm worried if he'll ever get over the "great athlete with unlimited potential" tag.

Back