Injury Lincoln McCarthy - injured ankle 7/5/16

Remove this Banner Ad

seems like every year theres a surgery that happens at this time of the year, and you think to yourself, how come they didnt do it before xmas

It's more when they start giving us the 'structurally it's stronger than ever' line that you start to wonder what they're thinking.

5 games in 3 years is going to become 5 games in 4. What are the odds for 5 in 5?

That's the one glimmer of light, it gives a chance to someone else. Maybe Lang, maybe Blease, maybe Gregson. The opportunity for that role is there.

Do you think it's possible for Lang & one of Blease/Gregson to play in the team?
After NAB1 Lang would be right at the top of the list of younger guys in line for Round 1.
But Lang can play 75% Forward, 25% Centre.
While someone like Gregson can be that FP 100% always being at the feet of our big guys? (Good positioning by Gregson to get his first goal)

Do you think it's possible for Lang & one of Blease/Gregson to play in the team?
After NAB1 Lang would be right at the top of the list of younger guys in line for Round 1.
But Lang can play 75% Forward, 25% Centre.
While someone like Gregson can be that FP 100% always being at the feet of our big guys? (Good positioning by Gregson to get his first goal)

I think in cold reality, there are far less places available than we like to think. Scott's very conservative; he doesn't make many changes. The veterans will all keep their places, plus you have Scott's favourites who simply won't be dropped. So I'd say there may be one spot in the backline up for grabs (Bews), one forward pocket spot (would have been McCarthy, now may be Lang), and one spot on the bench. Which could be Smedts. I really can't see any other changes coming.

I think in cold reality, there are far less places available than we like to think. Scott's very conservative; he doesn't make many changes. The veterans will all keep their places, plus you have Scott's favourites who simply won't be dropped. So I'd say there may be one spot in the backline up for grabs (Bews), one forward pocket spot (would have been McCarthy, now may be Lang), and one spot on the bench. Which could be Smedts. I really can't see any other changes coming.

That's true.
I was hoping Gregson could take the available forward spot, then Lang could take Murdoch's spot if Murdoch continues having disappointing games. Then remembered Scotty loves Murdoch.

seems like every year theres a surgery that happens at this time of the year, and you think to yourself, how come they didnt do it before xmas

I'm pretty happy we actually find out what's going wrong before putting them in for surgery. Better than operate first and ask questions later.

If he does miss the whole season I'd still give him 1 more year. There's talent there for sure and realistically we've probably got 10 guys who are every chance to be on the chopping block due to age, injury or ability. I just hope he can catch a break.

If he does miss the whole season I'd still give him 1 more year. There's talent there for sure and realistically we've probably got 10 guys who are every chance to be on the chopping block due to age, injury or ability. I just hope he can catch a break.

He's contracted for next year in any case, so he's certain to still be around. There may be talent, but thus far we haven't seen it at senior level.

It's more when they start giving us the 'structurally it's stronger than ever' line that you start to wonder what they're thinking.

5 games in 3 years is going to become 5 games in 4. What are the odds for 5 in 5?
Sorry this displeases you Dr.Partridge. After all an experienced medical professional like yourself can diagnose medical conditions from your couch better than those working for the club:)

I'd rather the club persevere with injured players, if there is talent there, or a clear role they're needed for. Prefer that over retaining healthy plodders:thumbsu:

No t sure he has the talent ?
For a small forward he sprayed shots at goal I don't think he's kicked a goal yet he's no Eddie Betts

No t sure he has the talent ?
For a small forward he sprayed shots at goal I don't think he's kicked a goal yet he's no Eddie Betts
5 games into his career is a bit early to make a definitive judgement either way, that was also a general comment, not just related to Lincoln.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor recruiting as well from
Medical team we knew he had difficulties months ago.
Cowan more than likely will end up the same .

Do you have the date when Cowan will "end up the same" - and by that I presume you mean he's gonna have a sore ligament in the bottom of his foot.
Just grab next week's logo numbers too please.

Go Catters

Can't afford any more list cloggers already have regular injured players such as :
Menzle
Cowan
Mcintosh
Vardy
Kersten

And a ageing list
So you'd rather we turf some of these out the door to keep plodders like Burbury, Brown, Stringer and the rookie listed Sheringham?

Nah pass on that. Those above have ability, the hard part has been getting them on the park. Risk and reward scenario, the potential reward here IS worth the risk.

Bad year again for McCarthy to get injured again. A spot had just opened up for him and he had looked ok in the few senior games he played.

What to do if he is out for the season again ? Talented to be contracted again next season ? Maybe there will be room as I reckon Vardy maybe the only long term injury would carry after this season.

I think it likely if any of these players get injured and are out for a long time - and they end the season injured - they could well be delisted - Menzel, Simpson, Hmac, Cowan and McCarthy. Then you have the situation Kelly or Enright got a serious injury that would also likely finish their careers.

So maybe Vardy and one other might get another year contract.

Geelong just needs more picks, whether they end in ND picks or FAs coming to the club - we need to get at least 4 new kids (and 1 FA player every 3 years) each season (not including Rookies). Why we have Wells we need to give him picks - even if they are 45 +. I think that would ensure at least one very likely player gets added to the team each season. Not enough even with a FA being added every third year (that is 4 players every 3 years. In 9 years that is 12 players) but not far off either. And we back to get two players some years that we had not banked on.

Sorry this displeases you Dr.Partridge. After all an experienced medical professional like yourself can diagnose medical conditions from your couch better than those working for the club:)
Doc Larkin can spot and diagnose injuries on the other side of the ground, when he's sitting on the boundary but the vision is so much better on the TV, don't you think??

So you'd rather we turf some of these out the door to keep plodders like Burbury, Brown, Stringer and the rookie listed Sheringham?

Nah pass on that. Those above have ability, the hard part has been getting them on the park. Risk and reward scenario, the potential reward here IS worth the risk.

Rather get Dangerfield + draft picks

Rather get Dangerfield + draft picks
You know we could get Danger or Selwood and keep these guys?

Enright, Hmac, Kelly all could retire, then there's SJ who's future at the club will depend on how his back and ankles hold up. So there's already a possible 4 out. I'd say definitely two.

Blease is on a one year deal, fail and he'll be gone.

Menzel or Simpson suffer one more major injury and they'll likely retire.

So I think if none of those players suffer injuries this season then there's no reason for them to be gone, and all deserve to be on our list at present. The chaff we got rid of last year was more pressing, except for Schroder, thought he was harshly treated tbh.

What are we arguing about anyway? Linc will be here until at least the end of next season anyway.

Yep I was so wrong. I voiced concern that we retained too many injury prone players, and what happens - McCarthy immediately re-injures his foot and will now miss at least a significant chunk of this season. Even without a medical degree I'd suggest that's less than ideal.

Continue to tell yourself he'll come back this year though. It'll make it more true if you repeat it.

Players who have, and can, set foot on a football ground regularly in the last 3 seasons are more valuable than those who haven't. Interesting you list Burbury, his stats compare very favourably against McCarthy's.

Yep I was so wrong. I voiced concern that we retained too many injury prone players, and what happens - McCarthy immediately re-injures his foot and will now miss at least a significant chunk of this season. Even without a medical degree I'd suggest that's less than ideal.

Continue to tell yourself he'll come back this year though. It'll make it more true if you repeat it.
No I took issue with this 'structurally it's stronger than ever'. What medical expertise, or intimate knowledge about GFC players' injuries allows you to deride like this? or are you just being a smartarse?

Had nothing to do with, I repeat nothing to do with whether or not I expect to see Lincoln again this season, which appears slim. Just the response, which unless you're a doctor is uninformed to say the least.

Anyway why are we surprised at today's development? There was an article forecasting this about 3 weeks ago

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne...injury-setback-for-geelongs-lincoln-mccarthy/

A decision will be made in the next few weeks to see if Cats forward Lincoln McCarthy goes in for surgery to repair a navicular injury.

"(It's) disappointing for him but we'll just work through it and get the best advice possible and make some decisions from there as to what is the best course of action" Geelong football manager Steve Hocking told AFL.com.au.

"More importantly for us it is really about his long-term wellbeing. That is the important part at this stage."

Read the last part. Looks like a club doing its due diligence to me. Looks as though they've got Lincoln's long term well being as the first priority.

Bad year again for McCarthy to get injured again. A spot had just opened up for him and he had looked ok in the few senior games he played.

What to do if he is out for the season again ? Talented to be contracted again next season ? Maybe there will be room as I reckon Vardy maybe the only long term injury would carry after this season.

Contracted until the end of 2016 already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back