Injury Lincoln McCarthy - injured ankle 7/5/16

Remove this Banner Ad

That's one of the reasons I used the word "honourable", thegerman. He's already picked up a bundle of money this year.
It's like finding a stash of cash and not turning it in.

Lol good analogy. We'll have to see won't we? I think he'll try again after xmas and if that fails, then pack it in.

Hope we have someone on the rookie list we can promote

Oh dear. The "N" word. How I hate it!! :mad:
Hqs0Pbn.gif

Oh wait,not that one :p

No offence to McCarthy who when he plaed afl did look like he could be an ok player but that was a terrible decision to give him a 2 year contract. He showed a little bit even without any injuries in his potential he deserved 1 year. I'd say that they should put him on the rookie list but I'm not sure who's going to fill the list spots we already have.

The "N" word is never good news, but this "recovery"/update is not unexpected either. I don't hold out much hope for Linc, even as I am still very cautious about Menzel and Vardy.

At least we all know, and can console ourselves with the fact he is ahead of Smedts for a forward role. :p

Might do the honourable thing and call it a day now, before the final list is lodged with the AFL.

We would still have to pay him out as he is contracted until the end of 2016.

do we have to pay if he is the one who volunteers to make a break for it?

Why would he do that? He has gained a "workplace" injury and the club should do the right thing and pay him out if they (hypothetically) want him to step aside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without wanting to appear to kick a guy why he is down ...

IMHO what Linc displayed in his (very limited) AFL games didn't show anything that warranted a 2 year contract. I remember poorly directed passes/turn overs, flying for marks (and missing them) when he should have been front and centre, not particularly fast and no goals (although little unlucky with the snap vs. Kangaroos 2014 final). I watched again the quarter of that aforementioned game really hoping to see something from Linc that showed he had something but aside from one tackle and that snap there wasn't much else to backup Scott's post match plug). From what I saw in VFL he had some dominant quarters but no dominant games.

Presume the club sees something in those matches and/or on the track (?)

Think Cowan showed much more pre his injury run and could see why the club persisted.

I’m not seeing anything in the article that says anything about another setback. He is 7 months into a 12 month recovery process so for Hocking to be talking about the main group in the new year seems about right. We all know it is has last chance. Good luck Lincoln.

In March when he had the op, he was expected to recover in 5 months = August. He resumed straight-line running in June. He's now not expected to join the main group until the NY. The recovery must have been delayed by something or some setback/s.

do we have to pay if he is the one who volunteers to make a break for it?
Yes we do - that is a standard condition of the PFA contract. What's more if we are already at 100% salary cap and he retires now, then we will be over the salary cap for this year and in a whole lotta trouble.

Linc was chatting to someone next to me at the footy today. He said that he was "very lucky" he signed a contract for next season otherwise "they would have given me the arse" at the end of 2015. Said he's three weeks back running now and will build up to full training and throw everything at next preseason.
This was 11 July when I heard the words from his own mouth. For him not to be joining the main group until post Christmas something hasn't gone to plan.

Are we allowed to have our meltdowns now??? Or do we have to wait to he retires due to injury like Blease before we are allowed to meltdown?
You raise a fair point but Blease is a bit unfair. He retired from concussion related problems, occurring whilst playing. A tad harsh.

Yes we do - that is a standard condition of the PFA contract. What's more if we are already at 100% salary cap and he retires now, then we will be over the salary cap for this year and in a whole lotta trouble.
no wiggle room to split payments into half next year and half the following year by arrangement with the player? Anything?
Guess it leaves us with a gap on the list if he goes, then.

With Hartman and Toohey leaving part way through this season, where do we stand with regards to paying out their contract? My guess is that we pay Toohey, but Hartman has broken the terms of his contract?

Hqs0Pbn.gif

Oh wait,not that one :p
What about the M word? M for small forwards running rampant? Menzel, Motlop, Murdoch, McCarthy. All Clark and Hawk would have been hearing all year would be MMMM buzzing by them. Must be a Mistake. Bring back McCarthyism, Murder, Motters and Menz. MMMM GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no wiggle room to split payments into half next year and half the following year by arrangement with the player? Anything?
Guess it leaves us with a gap on the list if he goes, then.
No - if he retires this year, next years salary gets brought into this years cap - regardless of when we actually pay him. We are well and truly tied that way
With Hartman and Toohey leaving part way through this season, where do we stand with regards to paying out their contract? My guess is that we pay Toohey, but Hartman has broken the terms of his contract?
I doubt Hartman broke the terms of his contract - quitting is akin to retiring and the cba agreement tends to be weighted heavily in the players favour. even if he had broken the contract I doubt he was on much coin.

No - if he retires this year, next years salary gets brought into this years cap - regardless of when we actually pay him. We are well and truly tied that way
I doubt Hartman broke the terms of his contract - quitting is akin to retiring and the cba agreement tends to be weighted heavily in the players favour. even if he had broken the contract I doubt he was on much coin.
OK. Thanks for elaborating.

Without wanting to appear to kick a guy why he is down ...

IMHO what Linc displayed in his (very limited) AFL games didn't show anything that warranted a 2 year contract. I remember poorly directed passes/turn overs, flying for marks (and missing them) when he should have been front and centre, not particularly fast and no goals (although little unlucky with the snap vs. Kangaroos 2014 final). I watched again the quarter of that aforementioned game really hoping to see something from Linc that showed he had something but aside from one tackle and that snap there wasn't much else to backup Scott's post match plug). From what I saw in VFL he had some dominant quarters but no dominant games.

Presume the club sees something in those matches and/or on the track (?)

Think Cowan showed much more pre his injury run and could see why the club persisted.
Hi LIH, good post, I have only seen Linc's senior games and I must say I was unimpressed also, was bewildered by 2yr extention. Mayb others see something special that Im missing. Gunna put myself up as a dartboard here, but I'm still unimpressed with Smedts, I know they used the 2nd compo pick for Ablett on him, so they obviously seen something about the boy, and I hope I get to see this nxt season. I liked Cowan when I 1st seen him all those years ago, and when I seen this year he looked twice the size and still looked talented, hoping he stays on the paddock for the whole 2016 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back