Expansion Lionel Messi the most popular sports star amongst Australian children ages 4-14

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why the AFL needs to fund a quality AFL video game, rather than charge for its rights.

It's the best way to expose young kids to the game.

My nephew is obsessed with fifa ultimate team but has zero interest in watching an actual game of soccer.
The AFL should go to Electronic Arts and fund the development of an outstanding AFL video game. Would be hard to pull off given the ins and outs of the game but would be huge in creating interest in the kids. The older generation do not understand how massive the gaming industry is. Someone should float some sales figures across Gillian's desk. Gaming has left movies and music for dead in terms of sales.
Such an underrated marketing tool in the modern age. European soccer would be absolutely nowhere in Aus if not for FIFA me thinks, due to the incredibly inaccessible time slots. Can't watch em? Play as them.

Soccer would be absolutely nowhere in Australia without FIFA I reckon'.

I doubt it really, I'm a fan of the game whereas most of my friends can't stand it, but they all love their FIFA. I've no doubt the game has converted many but generally it just raises fans of the video game here IMO, FIFA had been around long before soccer exploded in this country.

Australia's involvement in the World Cup and YouTube highlights would be what gets most kids started IMO.

LOL. I like footy more than soccer, but soccer is easily the most skillful of the two. Easily.

Easily? I don't understand that. Soccer is incredibly skillful, but they don't have to do anywhere near the range of skills that AFL players do.

Due to me being born in the mid 90s. I don't really know much about the world sporting landscape and such in this time. Has soccer always been as popular as it is today around the world? Or has it only recently expanded from Europe and South America into the rest of the Western world?

All over, Asia and Africa are obsessed with soccer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easily? I don't understand that. Soccer is incredibly skillful, but they don't have to do anywhere near the range of skills that AFL players do.

People always say this, yet how often do we have athletes who have come from other sports with very little experience playing Australian Rules in the AFL? Sure they're not the stars of the game, but they're playing at the elite level. Nobody walks into a Premier League, Serie A, La Liga etc... soccer side after picking up the game a year before hand.

People always say this, yet how often do we have athletes who have come from other sports with very little experience playing Australian Rules in the AFL? Sure they're not the stars of the game, but they're playing at the elite level. Nobody walks into a Premier League, Serie A, La Liga etc... soccer side after picking up the game a year before hand.

Elite level of AFL = approx 800 people out of 22 million
Elite level of Soccer (lets say EPL) = approx 800(?) out of 7 billion

Yes. All children aged between 4-14 have bedrooms that are Messi.

Hardly a need for a thread on BigFooty about it.

Who? I've heard of Pele and Ronaldo but I've never heard of a soccer player with TWO names!

Last edited:
Elite level of AFL = approx 800 people out of 22 million
Elite level of Soccer (lets say EPL) = approx 800(?) out of 7 billion

Of course the talent pool that soccer draws from is far larger, but that doesn't disprove that there's a higher level of skill on display in soccer. I doubt anybody who hasn't been playing soccer for the majority of their life would make the next few lower levels of the English, Italian, Spanish (any Euro/South American country) leagues either.

For the record, I don't particularly care, give me the AFL any day.

There are exceptions (eg. Israel Folau), but if you've got the requisite size and athleticism, and willingness to "go in hard", you can often at least be a decent Australian footballer. Much harder to get by on physical gifts alone in soccer IMO.

I remember when the most popular sportsman in the country was Michael Jordan and Basketball was going to sweep all before it. How'd that turn out?

Yup i remember being in my early teens wearing a bulls singlet and my uncle banging on basketball was going to kill afl off. Still waiting as you say, suspect this is the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back