Lions getting no credit in the media

Remove this Banner Ad

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't know if those in Brisbane have noticed this but down here all the media has been saying is how bad Melbourne were. You would not even know who beat them. Even if Melbourne were off their game you don't win by 7 goals if your awful yourself and I think we deserve a little more credit. I'm not getting carried away but in my eyes we looked quite good on the weekend and the media is frustrating me.

I will note one exception. Mark Fine on SEN last night said "a lot of us don't know much about some of these Lions players and we'd better start getting to know them"

Just wondering if others have noticed this. I hope Voss has and I would get him to use it as motivation seeing we're involved in the feature game this week and its our only prime time FTA game this year.

I have to agree. There is a lot about Melbourne losing it but little about the Brisbane effort to punish them for their lack of fortitude. I suppose the Melbourne story was always going to be the bigger one and I think Fine's observation is part of the problem, they just don't know who we are.

As long as other teams are like this for a while it won't hurt to slip under a few radars.

I have to agree. There is a lot about Melbourne losing it but little about the Brisbane effort to punish them for their lack of fortitude. I suppose the Melbourne story was always going to be the bigger one and I think Fine's observation is part of the problem, they just don't know who we are.

As long as other teams are like this for a while it won't hurt to slip under a few radars.
Whilst I find it annoying that our players don't get the accolades I feel they deserve, I have no problem with the general lack of knowledge about our guys. Especially as we are building and will be a bit up and down.

The boys will just have to let their game speak for them and hopefully surprise a few people.

Congratulations on the win guys. Fantastic effort.

I have been a big admirer of the lions since the second half of last year. I really rate your young players and feel your club is going to be very good in the not too distant future.

A number of people have told me they think the lions are rubbish and will be bottom 4 and I have dismissed this as rubbish. I'm not sure why so many people have that perspective.

It's because pre-game, the interest was tied in Melbourne, and that is what's going to push papers unfortunately.

Oh well, who needs the media anyway? :)

Congratulations on the win guys. Fantastic effort.

I have been a big admirer of the lions since the second half of last year. I really rate your young players and feel your club is going to be very good in the not too distant future.

A number of people have told me they think the lions are rubbish and will be bottom 4 and I have dismissed this as rubbish. I'm not sure why so many people have that perspective.

Because they didn't watch our games? Like you, if they'd watched some of our games last year it was clear to see we weren't as bad as our ladder position suggested. We were competitive in most games and were rarely blown away. People look at where we finished and think we were garbage, not the case at all.

It amazes that these people in the media don't know much about our players. As a fan of AFL I watch as many games as I can every weekend and don't just know about the teams in my state. There's a few that have an idea, but most don't. It's crazy.

I don't care about the Melbourne media coverage. I'd much prefer to fly under the radar, if such a thing is possible in today's saturation coverage of footy. In terms of the winners in round 1, I suspect that only Sydney got less attention than us.

And let's face it - neutral fans are much more likely to want to pick over the Melbourne carcass than they are to discuss a team which may or may not be ready to move up the ladder.

Lol, Lions getting bugger all coverage in Vic media? What's new?

I honestly don't care, the less we are talked up, the better we can assume underdog status. Hopefully that mentality makes other teams think they can cruise to a victory as well. The trick will be to make sure our boys don't get that same mentality in their heads too.

Even before the game we knew this was going to be the case.

We should get used to it. It wasn't until West Coast knocked off Carlton in round 14 last season that they started to get the credit they deserved.

I don't think it is praise per se that we're looking for. I read both Melbourne papers on the flight home yesterday and neither could produce a decent match report. They could talk about how bad Melbourne were all they liked, but I would have liked to have seen a decent report on how the match unfolded, and where it was won.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree - it annoys me, but if it helps make Carlton overconfident then I can live with it

Considering they were mainly 'bad' because 'we' smashed them in the clearances and 'we' kicked the goals that hurt them on the scoreboard.

Everything else, Yes - They were poor.

Also, We should have won by 60+, Bad umpiring decisions going Melbourne's way in the first half, Plus some easy misses in front of goal.

I like how they've been repeating Neeld saying they were pulverised in the clearances. :thumbsu:

No matter what anyone says, we won, they lost.

Ner ner ner ner.

No one can take that away from us. It's ours and we earnt it dammit!

The framing was terribly Melbourne focused; but saying that It's like complaining that the Courier Mail has 8 pages on the Broncos and two on the Lions. They are just serving up what the lowest common denominator in their market will buy.

It was a terrific day for us but it was a terrible, terrible, terrible day for Melbourne. The media are going to focus on the bigger story.

Were we that good, or were they that bad. Who really knows yet. If and when we beat some quality teams we will get some attention.

Loved the way Blacky was talking up the blues in the paper today. Sure sign that we are going to try to ambush them.

It was a terrific day for us but it was a terrible, terrible, terrible day for Melbourne. The media are going to focus on the bigger story.

Were we that good, or were they that bad. Who really knows yet. If and when we beat some quality teams we will get some attention.
This.

The MFC went in with expectations of winning & to some extent honouring Jim through our performance. Sadly from my point of view none of this happened & the media have grabbed hold of this. In saying that we were as bad as I can remember & in recent times MFC fans have a lot of bad times to remember.

As for talking you guys up, I think there has been some credit given to the lions but as was mentioned its round one & impossible to tell at this stage what was more pronounced; The lions great win or the dees complete capitulation.

If we play well this week & you get smashed it'll be called an aberration, however if we continue to be poor & you put in a good performance then you'll start to get the credit due.

Like Leigh used to say in footy - recognition doesn't follow performance for six months. This is especially so for the Lions.

Melbourne is about Melbourne. We should be more concerned about the South East Qld Market.

I didn't have much of an issue with it. Fact is, the Demons were always the story in this game. Our performance was great, but it's only one win. If we keep it up and start knocking over more sides, they'll start talking.

KB and Robbo both did make the point this morning though to say, "Let's not forget the Lions were very impressive", and further words to the same effect.

If the next few rounds are going to be "that team was so poor, they lost the game to Lions tsk tsk tsk" I will gladly take it.

Media can shove it up their backsides. Give me the 4 points any day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back