Player Watch #12: David Astbury - Has decided to retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 11, 2003
somewhere in the jungle something is lurking
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
tigers
People forget how important Chappy is to our setup . Remember the Melbourne game that he didn't play and Rance got smashed by Hogan. Is Astbury capable of taking over that setup/general/organiser role? If. So great keep Astbury groom him to play that role. If not we dont have a right to hold onto him whilst he plays in the 2s when he has opportunity to play seniors elsewhere. As others have mentioned he falls into the griffiths basket where they have a bit of currency at the trade table.
You obviously don't know how slow he is and how old he is he's past it plain and centre

leekok

Cancelled
I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Dec 7, 2013
offline, online whilst posting
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hide the sausage
In hindsight would have been good in the elim against waite, might have stopped a few goals. I would persist as I see him as the one to replace chaplin in the next couple of years. Has shown much more than Elton has.

I think a lot of people are blind to Astburys' deficencies. Yes he looked alright in the first 10 or so games last year before being injured. He beat a lot of big strong forwards in the contests but in general play he was like a snail getting the ball back out. We leaked goals like a siv. It was no coincedence we have lost nearly everygame he has played as a backman recently. I think even the coaches were a bit blinded by his games last year with his strong performances in the marking contests, I remember dimma saying he was right up there in the B&F but since then realised we have far better, quicker backline players now and Astbury doesn't fit in the Backline anymore. Snail. As a Forward? Not convinced, but had only seen 1 vfl game this year.

I'd almost bet my sack and 2 nuts that we'll trade him. (Almost)

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
I think a lot of people are blind to Astburys' deficencies. Yes he looked alright in the first 10 or so games last year before being injured. He beat a lot of big strong forwards in the contests but in general play he was like a snail getting the ball back out. We leaked goals like a siv. It was no coincedence we have lost nearly everygame he has played as a backman recently. I think even the coaches were a bit blinded by his games last year with his strong performances in the marking contests, I remember dimma saying he was right up there in the B&F but since then realised we have far better, quicker backline players now and Astbury doesn't fit in the Backline anymore. Snail. As a Forward? Not convinced, but had only seen 1 vfl game this year.

couldn't be slower than chaplin?

leekok

Cancelled
Dec 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hide the sausage
couldn't be slower than chaplin?
In running no, but his decision making is and Chaplin would always pick a better option. Astbury shits on chaplin in the contest but not in general play. I like Astbury and would love to see him developed as an effective forward where his decision making won't cost us AS much. But while he's still got value I think he'll be traded.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
In running no, but his decision making is and Chaplin would always pick a better option. Astbury shits on chaplin in the contest but not in general play. I like Astbury and would love to see him developed as an effective forward where his decision making won't cost us AS much. But while he's still got value I think he'll be traded.
value? what do you think we'd get for him?

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

Good point re Astbury's speed and Chaplin for that matter. All the good KPDs these days are mobile and athletic. Look at the KPDs in the AA team - Hurley, Rance and Gibson all that type of player.
Upgrade on both Chaplin and Astbury for me.

CHIMP MAGNET

Premiership Player
May 23, 2011
man, woman, chimp
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Eliminationfinalmond
how many games has rance and astbury played together without chaplin?

did we lose the games astbury played because of astbury or because we were missing the big trosser?

is it a case of astbury and chaplin in the same side are a liability?

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
how many games has rance and astbury played together without chaplin?

did we lose the games astbury played because of astbury or because we were missing the big trosser?

is it a case of astbury and chaplin in the same side are a liability?

Don't know chimp too many tough questions there. who is the big tosser?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

leekok

Cancelled
Dec 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hide the sausage
value? what do you think we'd get for him?
s**t mate, I don't know, I'm just a Richmond fan who loves the club and think I know what I'm talking about. Maybe a bootsma type or pick no.1.;) No really I think he'll be involved in a trade involving a few players to get us a late second rounder or a player with us adding 1 of our later picks. Saying that he'll probably stay?????????? i have NFI just don't reckon he's not the one playing full back for us.

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
How much of that is lack of experience at AFL level though?
Rance was pretty bad with his decision making until he got to about 50-60 games experience
Haven't seen Astbury take over Chaplin's position before with Rance still the foundation of the defence, I reckon he'd go ok

If someone will give us something for him then we sure as **** take it. Between his knees, ponderous decision making and high wage ******* him off would be a blessing.
2015-09-23-19-05-28-255441547.jpeg

leekok

Cancelled
Dec 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hide the sausage
How much of that is lack of experience at AFL level though?
Rance was pretty bad with his decision making until he got to about 50-60 games experience
Haven't seen Astbury take over Chaplin's position before with Rance still the foundation of the defence, I reckon he'd go ok
Chaplins experience is more valuble than his actual football. He seems to keep everyone in check and can't be too bad with the Tiges having had the best defense in the comp since round 6. While Astbury hasn't played in Chaplins spot before to my knowledge I can't really comment on it. I also must say that I'd never actually thought about it that way I was always going off last year when he was filling in for Rance. Very interesting proposition and as you say, it does take games in the AFL to get experience. Rance being the perfect exmple. Who knows but I reckon he'll be gone though.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Astbury is good insurance if any of our key backs go down...
The best thing about Astbury is he always puts his body on the line in a contest... if he can get to one... he's such a plodder...
The good thing is that maybe... just maybe our game plan doesn't require a pacy key position back... just look at Chaplin speed... if any...
Astbury could be a keeper... just depends what's on offer from other clubs...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back