Review Lions v Suns.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's the mentality of the young players that they go missing in games they expect to win, but happen to turn it up when they're the underdogs like that 2nd half against the Pies. Gary provided the leadership to bring them down to earth in those circumstances. Our real vice captain is injured and our other experienced players, Risch, Broughton, Harbrow arent vocal leaders themselves. McKenna of course has to bear some of the responsibility with not getting the team mentally ready pre-game.

It's the mentality of the young players that they go missing in games they expect to win, but happen to turn it up when they're the underdogs like that 2nd half against the Pies. Gary provided the leadership to bring them down to earth in those circumstances. Our real vice captain is injured and our other experienced players, Risch, Broughton, Harbrow arent vocal leaders themselves. McKenna of course has to bear some of the responsibility with not getting the team mentally ready pre-game.
+1. Well said.

Something obviously went very wrong during the prep of this game. Our first Finals appearance takes the hit because of it.

Next week is up against the Saints, back at home at least. Another game they should be expected to win. I saw first hand the Saints go Super Saiyan against Freo last week and the Suns need to be ready for that.

Whenever I go to a live game, I usually come home and watch the game on tv to see what I've missed. I can't bring myself to rewatch that pathetic performance.

From my perspective in the stands, Aaron Hall was a real standout. Definitely proved his worth tonight. Stephen May was pretty good at times, and Martin stood out too. Similarly, I was very impressed with Shaw.

Too many players (note: ALL) were making no attempt to mark the ball. All the Suns players were punching the ball away, where it usually ended up in the oppositions hands.

IF THAT METHOD DIDN'T WORK IN THE FIRST QUARTER, DON'T KEEP DOING IN THE NEXT THREE QUARTERS. Whoever came up with our tactics for tonight should be euthanized.

I don't even care anymore. Half the team didn't give a s**t tonight.

Look..it was very disappointing tonight..And I don't believe even if Gaz was there we would have won...Losing/Not playing Dicko/Smith/Riska/Cannon/Matera and KK,hurt MUCH more than not having just Gaz missing!

it souunds like a bad joke but

The lions missing Leuenburger, Johnathon Brown, Rich, 5 first round draft picks that left at seasons end and a first year coach are a 60 point better side than a club cbock full of early draft picks and with a coach that has had 5 years with the most talented group in the land and one of the best players of all time to show them the way.

am i wrong, or does that sound like a joke

Don't care if you think im wrong, but fact is we are a ship without a rudder whilst we don't have Gazza,..... Lost him 2 weeks ago, then , play and loose to the Bulldogs and Lions / we are all over the place, so much missing the influence/direction of Gazza on the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had two players with over 100 games experience. Harbrow and Broughton.
You wouldn't have guessed it judging by tonight's efforts!

On another note: Overall, we played very poorly. But it didn't start pouring down until the first quarter was very closed to finishing. If it weren't for the rain, the Suns could have caught up. But instead, they ****ed around while we had a dry field and attempted to catch up while it was bucketing down. Poor choices.

I don't know if they showed it on TV, but the guys were getting nailed by Bluey at 1QTR time and 3QTR time. He literally started dancing around like a ballerina and threw his clipboard on the ground and continued to scream at them. Never seen him like that before.

Last edited:
This loss hurt. We got slaughtered.

I am happy to see Aaron Hall step up at least (considering I have been criticising the bloke for ages, glad to eat my words with a genuine effort from him).

I can only hope that we'll improve upon this year with next year. I am also hoping the team uses this chance to build/find some leaders in the team other than Gary.

You wouldn't have guessed it judging by tonight's efforts!

On another note: Overall, we played very poorly. But it didn't start pouring down until the fourth quarter was very closed to finishing. If it weren't for the rain, the Suns could have caught up. But instead, they ****** around while we had a dry field and attempted to catch up while it was bucketing down. Poor choices.

I don't know if they showed it on TV, but the guys were getting nailed by Bluey at 1QTR time and 3QTR time. He literally started dancing around like a ballerina and threw his clipboard on the ground and continued to scream at them. Never seen him like that before.
I hope nobody actually blames Bluey. This was a poor performance by the players.

anyone know the average age of the teams tonight?
brisbane = 23yr 10mth
gold coast = 22yr 5mth

as per footywire

i missed the first quarter, but even after that we played pretty s**t. 47 & 45 disposal games for 2 brisbane players is simply unheard of in a game of footy. we got walked all over. pathetic effort, don't think i'll be analyising the replay like i usually do.

If you think McKenna has no responsibility in the worst performance in the clubs history
you are not paying close attention
Literally every post you make criticises Bluey without actually addressing what he's done wrong. Can you expand and explain on what you think he has directly done wrong?

Congrats to Aaron Hall tonight. Played really well.

I hope nobody actually blames Bluey. This was a poor performance by the players.
I don't blame him directly, but he definitely shares some of the blame. Most of the blame is to be placed on the players tonight. Most of them made no effort. Very few actually played well, which made no difference due to the others being lazy. I was embarrassed when leaving the Gabba tonight.

In saying that, I support Bluey 100%.

Things I noticed from tonight's game:

1) Transportation via bus is far more effective in getting to and from the Gabba than it is at Metricon

2) Every single game I've seen at the Gabba has been a wet-weather game

3) In saying that, the Suns seem to have no ball skills in the wet. It was evident against Hawthorn, and it was evident against Brisbane. Wet weather = no deal. Needs to be worked on.

4) I saw a lot of young Brissy supporters tonight. Most of them weren't even alive during the 2001, 2002, and 2003 Premierships, which makes me sad.

5) The white GCFC uniform is ugly as s**t. It needs to be changed.

6) I witnessed Bluey go absolutely crazy at the guys - Malthouse style. If that doesn't change their attitude, nothing will.

7) The 'experienced' players acted like idiots. Blokes like Shaw and Hall were very impressive.

8) Too many players made no effort in getting the ball. They'd sprint to the ball, get 5m from it, then slow down. Mistakes weren't learned from.

9) Who was the bald bloke walking around with the players before the game and during the breaks? Looked like an Ablett lookalike - I couldn't see properly!

And lastly...

10) I'm tipping the Saints next week.

I'd be surprised if our game plan has changed in 3 weeks, so there is no excuse with what our boys dished up early. They are full time professionals on big dollars, so I'm not sure how Bluey is to blame. If they need Rocky music and a blasting from the coach to get ourselves up, then we have real problems.
We clearly have an issue with the crucial 24-29 year bracket and lack of leadership. Zorko, Rockliff, Martin, Hanley, Adcock, Patfull etc all fit into that bracket and literally tore us a new one.

Saying that, this is a real pressure time for Bluey and he needs to adapt with a changing game plan being used against us recently. Bulldogs and Lions chipping the ball around and easily keeping possession and we seem clueless to deal with it. Bluey may also need to look at a tagging role occasionally. Hanley has struggled with a tag, but left alone he'll destroy you with his run. 34 of his possessions were uncontested which is unacceptable.

Our lack of depth is being highlighted in a painful way. Tough decisions will need to be made with the list going forward to address this.
Still we're a work in progress and I'd rather have our deficiencies exposed now than in 2 years time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back