Review Lions v Suns.

Remove this Banner Ad

2oqLLZDGLgetmfxEbMxmNhGiIj6GNLRerb2fIzfv0yE=w1044-h342-no

What a 27k Q-Clash looks like, if anyone is interested!

No forward line structure whatsoever - agree
Never use the corridor - false
Don't play on quickly - false
Don't take risks - false
Slow safe ball movement - sometimes, but every single team should try and hold onto it for periods
Players don't know how to draw a free kick - nor should they
No system design plan for kicking in - I'd argue it's more a lack of genuine 'clunking' talls, and I'm not sold on Maysie kicking in, but okay
No system design plan for Centre bounces - completely false, the last 2 weeks the exception, not the rule
Don't man the mark properly - debatable

do you want me to continue
If you want man. I think you're overreacting to the last two efforts though.

12 disposals and 3 tackles and 2 free's against. he certainly wasn't our worst, perhaps I am being too harsh
Jack Martin did a couple good things in my eyes, but I understand, for the most part we got slaughtered and it's difficult to find much good from that game.

Jack Martin (4) with a very good Goal Assist to Danny Stanley (25) while under pressure, followed by a nice Inside 50 highlight that set up the momentum for another goal. (time: 2:25)

Danny Stanley returning the favour with an Inside 50, Jack Martin crumbing wonderfully and kicking a goal. (time: 3:36)

Jack Martin did alright by my reckoning, especially for a nineteen year old.

From the GC Suns website

Gold Coast players were forced to endure one of the most brutal review sessions in their short history on Monday, but coach Guy McKenna believes they will come out the other side fighting.

McKenna said he made the playing group watch the inept first quarter of Saturday's 54-point loss to the Brisbane Lions while listening to the scathing commentary of premiership duo Alastair Lynch and Jason Dunstall.

He said the SUNS had lost any credit they had gained this season with a "cataclysmic" performance.

This is great to hear, it needed to be done and I can only hope some home truths were told as none of them earned their money on Saturday

Just watched AFL Access all Areas and Gary Lyon stated that our first quarter against the lions was "the worst quarter of football by ANY CLUB this year" I haven't watch all the teams but i would have to agree with him. The was also quiet scathing of O'Meara and Smith and saved a smack for Bluey for allowing 90+ possessions between Hanley and Rockcliff.

Basically I think he nailed it.

No forward line structure whatsoever
Never use the corridor
Don't play on quickly
Don't take risks
Slow safe ball movement
Players don't know how to draw a free kick
No system design plan for kicking in
No system design plan for Centre bounces
Don't man the mark properly

do you want me to continue
Totally agree with all of that. especially the No forward line structure.
I reckon there would have to be at least 15-20 times a game we look to kick it to someone leading inside our forward 50 only for the player to looks up and there's absolutely no one inside our forwed 50 it's comical sometime. And 80% of the time it just get turned over and the opposition kicks a goal.

Watch on Saturday night it will still happen

Just watched AFL Access all Areas and Gary Lyon stated that our first quarter against the lions was "the worst quarter of football by ANY CLUB this year" I haven't watch all the teams but i would have to agree with him. The was also quiet scathing of O'Meara and Smith and saved a smack for Bluey for allowing 90+ possessions between Hanley and Rockcliff.

Basically I think he nailed it.
Anthony Hudson's most at stake for this weekend on afl360 tonight was Guy McKenna. said he need to get a response from his team. And if he doesn't there's a lot at stake for his reputation.

Anthony Hudson's most at stake for this weekend on afl360 tonight was Guy McKenna. said he need to get a response from his team. And if he doesn't there's a lot at stake for his reputation.

Is this fair or not, you decide
  • 5 years in the role with the core group
  • The best player in the game to lead by example of how to be a professional
  • A team full of high draft picks (have the 2010 draftees developed to their potential?)
  • Players gifted games, others not (Nicholls is a perfect example, he would of gotten a chance if Smith was available or Hickey was still around)
  • first quarter of the last game the worst by any club this year, No response from the team in the final 3 quarters
  • 3 pre seasons in Arizona
Now ask yourself
  • How would you rate our skill level, Kicking to targets, leading to space (is it at AFL standard) after 5 years
  • Do you think the team would of put up that effort if Clarkson, Thompson, Hinkley or Roos was coaching
Thoughts?????

Totally agree with all of that. especially the No forward line structure.
I reckon there would have to be at least 15-20 times a game we look to kick it to someone leading inside our forward 50 only for the player to looks up and there's absolutely no one inside our forwed 50 it's comical sometime. And 80% of the time it just get turned over and the opposition kicks a goal.

Watch on Saturday night it will still happen
The Suns have absolutely no forward line structure
They just stand in the forward 50 like statues
The players need to create space for the Tall forwards to lead into
especially when the opposition have already set their defense.
There is no team co ordination, no set plays, no forward line strategy
The tall forwards also need to stop getting into each others way
They need to push up the ground to provide an option when the ball is rebounding
which in turn opens up the forward line.
Crumbing OMG it just doesn't happen
Dixon, Day & Lynch need to be able to compete one on one
so players need to clear out instead of drawing their direct opponents to the marking contest.

Under 16 stuff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Suns have absolutely no forward line structure
They just stand in the forward 50 like statues
The players need to create space for the Tall forwards to lead into
especially when the opposition have already set their defense.
There is no team co ordination, no set plays, no forward line strategy
The tall forwards also need to stop getting into each others way
They need to push up the ground to provide an option when the ball is rebounding
which in turn opens up the forward line.
Crumbing OMG it just doesn't happen
Dixon, Day & Lynch need to be able to compete one on one
so players need to clear out instead of drawing their direct opponents to the marking contest.

Under 16 stuff
I agree the structure looks dysfunctional and haphazard, but no AFL teams seem to have a dominant consistent forward structure ATM.

I almost feel like we have to have 2 lead up forwards from the goal square running to space and everybody else out of the 50.

We're still improving on a yearly basis; we're travelling alright in my eyes. I admit that the chances of making the finals have been mostly crushed, but realistically we're still doing better than prior years.

We already have more wins this year than any year. We still have five more games to build on this record.

We're still improving on a yearly basis; we're travelling alright in my eyes. I admit that the chances of making the finals have been mostly crushed, but realistically we're still doing better than prior years.

We already have more wins this year than any year. We still have five more games to build on this record.
There's definite improvement, but the fact that we could have gone even better with no legitimate reason why we didn't is what's bugging most people. While I'm happy that we've gone better than previous years, it pisses me off that we are playing like s**t and lost against WB and Lions despite dominant wins earlier in the season.

We might as well sack the coach and fold the club I reckon. Not even overreacting. We're easily the worst club in the league. We don't do anything well ever! Bluey is the worst coach ever.

There's definite improvement, but the fact that we could have gone even better with no legitimate reason why we didn't is what's bugging most people. While I'm happy that we've gone better than previous years, it pisses me off that we are playing like s**t and lost against WB and Lions despite dominant wins earlier in the season.
It happens. It happened to Fremantle against St Kilda last round. It happened to Sydney against GWS in the very first round. Upsets have been happening all season, left and right. We caused a couple upsets ourselves when we beat Geelong and then Collingwood. I don't think we give our opposition enough credit to say there were no legitimate reasons why we lost at any point during this season. It's been a close competition and no side has been able to take their position on the ladder for granted.

We had some embarrassing losses (who hasn't?), but we most certainly aren't going backwards as a club.

We might as well sack the coach and fold the club I reckon. Not even overreacting. We're easily the worst club in the league. We don't do anything well ever! Bluey is the worst coach ever.

You broke my sacrasm meter DWD

Clearly we were just unlucky in the Lions game, it was just too dry in the first quarter and too wet in the last 3. The wholesale changes that Bluey made worked a treat but the wind clearly swirled a lot and the lions used that to their advantage, I am sure the ground was leaning towards which ever side the lions were kicking too and a little know 24hr virus that prevents players opening there hands to catch the ball and instead forces them to punch also caused havoc. We are clearly the best team with the best coach and the league should give us the cup NOW.

Now it's absolutely irreparably broken :D

Last edited:
Clearly we were just unlucky in the Lions game, it was just too dry in the first quarter and too wet in the last 3. The wholesale changes that Bluey made worked a treat but the wind clearly swirled a lot and the lions used that to their advantage, I am sure the ground was leaning towards which ever side the lions were kicking too and a little know 24hr virus that prevents players opening there hands to catch the ball and instead forces them to punch also caused havoc. We are clearly the best team with the best coach and the league should give us the cup NOW.
I am so tired that I literally typed up a big response to this before realizing this was sarcasm at the last second. Wow. I'm going to make myself a coffee haha

You broke my sacrasm meter DWD

Now it's absolutely irreparably broken :D
The grass length at the GABBA was also way too long just like at the Adelaide Oval :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back