Lions vs Cats vs Hawks - Which dynasty is the best?

Best dynasty???

• Cats

Votes: 234 21.2%
  • Hawks

Votes: 524 47.5%
  • Lions

Votes: 344 31.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Even when Brisbane were winning flags we had #1 draft picks leave under the go home factor.

Name them.

You lost Des Headland and that is all. Big freaking deal.

In case you missed it, Lance Franklin now plays for Sydney.

Interesting how all three dynasties were based upon hard, attacking, & entertaining football. It's a unique coaching philosophy, not sure if it'll catch on.

Brisbane weren't even the best team once in any given year

2001 they were.

Brisbane: 20 wins, 5 losses
Essendon: 19 wins, 6 losses
Richmond: 16 wins, 9 losses
Hawthorn: 15 wins, 10 losses
Port: 16 wins, 8 losses
Carlton: 15 wins, 9 losses

They won the last 16 games in a row and beat Essendon in both games they played against them. How were they not the best team in the AFL that year? Because the Bombers picked up an extra 6% in the H&A season?

2002 - same deal

Brisbane - 20 wins, 5 losses, 140%
Collingwood - 15 wins, 10 losses
Port - 19 wins, 6 losses
Adelaide - 16 wins, 9 losses

Won 2/3 games against Port that year. 56 and 57 point wins at the Gabba (one in a final) and a 6 point loss to them at AAMI in round 22.

Please explain how they were not the best team in the AFL those years?

Last edited:
Cats for mine. They did it for longer and they had tougher oppenents (in two out of three cases).

I'd rule the Lions out because Essendon in 2001 went in with half their list injured, and Collingwoods 2002 and 2003 lists didnt bat depe enough and suffered both years with suspensions. And they had generous cap consessions which unlike others I dont think were the difference....but they helped.

Hawks a close second to Geelong but Longevity of Geelong gets them over the line for me.

Hawks- hands down.

No salary cap relief (Brisbane) or dodgy drugs (Bris/Cats).

Standout team- amazing coach.

Best team since Hawks of the 80s
Brisbane didn't need the opposition to travel to their home ground or their own fans umpire their finals.

2001 maybe after their slow start but 2002 Port were easily the best team they went 16-2 after 2 until the finals when keeping in tradition choked during the finals
Yep Port had the tag of Chokers after 3 minor premierships for 1 grand final appearance which luckily for them resulted in a flag.
It doesn't matter how you get to a grand final its how you play on the day. Win by one point and you are still premiers.

What Brisbane did from 01-03 was massive and can never be taken away from them just like Ports flag in 04 cannot be taken away from them.

And no matter how much some supporters on BF would like to take our last three flags away from us they can't

I'm going to be a bit of a fence sitter here because I seriously can not split these 3 clubs. However, I will throw something out there to be thought about and create discussion.

Genuine question, is Hawthorn's dynasty including the 2008 premiership? Because 4 flags and 5 Grand Finals in 8 seasons sounds amazing. Because to me, a dynasty can't contain a year of no finals action. It's got to be sustained finals action, and most of all Premierships. Collingwood's run of 8 consecutive finals series between 2006 and 2013 with only one Premiership next to our name doesn't really cut it as a dynasty.

There's a lot of questions that need to be answered, and depending on what you value more will depend on who you think had the better dynasty. Is the best dynasty as much of the ulitmate success (or at least preliminary finals) in the shortest amount of time, or is the best dynasty sustained finals action?

I'm actually finding it ridiculously hard to chose. Statistically, Geelong probably had the best dynasty, but my heart says Hawthorn's was/is.

- Geelong kicked things of in 2007 (didn't make finals in 2006), Premiers, Runners Up, Premiers, Prelim, Premiers, Elimination, Prelim, Semi. No Finals in 2015 ends the dynasty. 8 seasons of contending, 3 Premierships, 1 Runner Up and 2 Prelims.

- Hawthorn despite winning the 2008 flag, missed finals in 2009. From 2010 onwards, they went Elimination, Prelim, Runners Up, Premiers, Premiers, Premiers. 6 seasons of contending, 3 premierships, 1 Runner Up, 1 Prelim.

- Brisbane's run of contending started in 1999. Prelim, Semi, Premiers, Premiers, Premiers, Runners Up. Ended in 2005 after failing to make finals. 6 seasons of being in contention.

I'm leaning towards Hawthorn purely because they've achieved what the other the clubs have in the shortest period, and still have the scope to add to the tally and be dominant for coming years.

hawks and lions both all time great teams. enjoy them both people. its all consigned to history now.:) lets all move on now, except hawks who can deservedly celebrate till the first ball is bounced next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i felt like the hawks had blown their opportunity at a sustained period after 2011 and 2012, and now they have 3 in a row... and they dont seem like stopping.

i personally had hawthorn fairly comfortably in front before they won it this year, obviously even more so now.

No doubt the selection criteria is arbitrary, though judicious.

The 5 year block best encapsulates the time-frame in which all 3 clubs played in 4 Grand finals & won 3 Flags.
The only reason to go 5 years is to fit Geelongs all in, Haw/Bris did it in 3/4 years.

Cats for mine. They did it for longer and they had tougher oppenents (in two out of three cases).

I'd rule the Lions out because Essendon in 2001 went in with half their list injured, and Collingwoods 2002 and 2003 lists didnt bat depe enough and suffered both years with suspensions. And they had generous cap consessions which unlike others I dont think were the difference....but they helped.

Hawks a close second to Geelong but Longevity of Geelong gets them over the line for me.
I didnt realise 5 years was now longer than 7 years.

No matter what side of the fence you sit on Lions did mot have salary cap concessions. It was available to all clubs if enough of your list came from interstate.

The only reason to go 5 years is to fit Geelongs all in, Haw/Bris did it in 3/4 years.

It's a comparative thread....Our 2011-2015 seasons are all of a one & inform a perfect correlation with the Cats of 2007-2011.

Their H & A record is superior & will take some beating over that time-scale, if ever....Our finals record however, is every bit as compatible & holds us in good stead, much as Brisbane's finals record does them....Brisbane's H & A form however, is vastly inferior....Even if we swap their 1999 18/7 season with their 2000 season, they still lag way behind.

The Lions were lucky they got to play Coll'wood in their flag years, is what I'm suggesting.;)

It's a comparative thread....Our 2011-2015 seasons are all of a one & inform a perfect correlation with the Cats of 2007-2011.

Their H & A record is superior & will take some beating over that time-scale, if ever....Our finals record however, is every bit as compatible & holds us in good stead, much as Brisbane's finals record does them....Brisbane's H & A form however, is vastly inferior....Even if we swap their 1999 18/7 season with their 2000 season, they still lag way behind.

The Lions were lucky they got to play Coll'wood in their flag years, is what I'm suggesting.;)

And Essendon. First signs of the selfishness of Hird were witnessed that day. Should never have played.

2001 maybe after their slow start but 2002 Port were easily the best team they went 16-2 after 2 until the finals when keeping in tradition choked during the finals

So if you ignore the 5 weeks where Port went 1-4 and Brisbane went 5-0 (including a 50+ point win over Port in a prelim final), Port were the better team? Seems reasonable.

That 18-2 run also includes a 57 point belting at the hands of Brisbane. The only reason why some people consider Port the stronger team of 2002 was because they won a dead rubber over Brisbane at home in round 22.

In two out of three of the winning GF's they played as well as the losing one to Port they wouldnt have deserved home ground advantage anyway.
And going by that logic how many did Hawthorn deserve home ground advantage?

Back