Analysis List analysis. Bright Future

Remove this Banner Ad

bhys16

Senior List
Mar 5, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
put this where ya reckon it should be if there is a thread for it.. sorry if so..

Lions list analysis with bhys16.
hey there, currently got the day off and sitting at home fairly stoned and dreaming of Lions glory in years to come.. so i figured I would put my observations up here for you all to critique. enjoy

Forward Line
With the way football is trending and the game style Leppa employs (fast, transition, possession) I dont see the dire need for the Lions to have an elite key forward for our next premiership run. and this is discounting the potential of the currently listed young keys. Midfield goalkickers and the Mozzie squad should kick us 8-10 goals a game and hope our developing keys bag a few themselves.

Close will never be Browny but with his aerobic capacity and natural leadership abilities he is a nice poor mans option and will be crucial to our forward line..

Mcstay is a ripper. moves with so much fluidity for a guy his size and the game seems to slow down for him.. as a swingman I believe Dan will be one of the leagues best in the next few years.

Freeman has natural traits such as his great hands and agility that will make him a matchup nightmare when he gets the tank to compete for 4 quarters. I feel Johnno will be our full-forward going forward but will take a while.

Also due to our ruck depth I feel Luey will play FF when healthy this yr and probably next which will limit Freeman's AFL game time.

not sure on Paine, seems a better bloke than footballer but happy to be proven wrong. MGuane has probably lost his spot to Robinson or Staker.

Midfield

I know I am not alone on this board when I say i am stupidly excited about our midfield going forward. We genuinely have 8-10 midfield options with complementing attributes to rotate through.

Rockliff, heart and soul, everywhere man.

Redden
, my favorite player, tough, consistent and the best tackling technique in the AFL. also devilishly handsome (i am a married, heterosexual man, but c'mon he is scary good looking).

Rich,
will probably play off HB, but an elite midfielder none the less. as a left footed athlete myself (soccer goalkeeper) watching Richy hit a daisy-cutting 50m pass is as good as sport gets.. will hopefully lead our rebound 50s in 2015.

D. Beams,
dont watch Collingwood so have to admit didn't know enough about his game to know why we were desperate to get him, watched some highlights and now i get it.. hard as nails and silky skills, sign me up for that.

C. Beams, may transition to a flank due to ability to spread so well and great kick, believe having his bro in Brissy will elevate his game, in the 22 for sure.

Aish, gets himself in great positions and has amazing game sense, which helps cos he is not athletically elite. when he fills out he will be very handy in and under player too.

Lester, strong as a bull, gets first hands on the contested ball but doesnt use it well. hopefully having Beams, Rich and Bundy running past him will mean extract ball and simple handball.

Robertson, really like this kid, not sure where he will fit long term but in short term can be used as a run-with player or inside ballwinner, great attitude.

Zorko, So good in traffic, amazing fast twitch athlete. with inclusion of new mids, he will get less tags and win a brownlow. yup i said it.

Hanley, his development has been truly astonishing. absolutely nothing bad to say about this man. such an offensive weapon, cannot be tackled.

Bewick, outside runner with incredible endurance, wingman who could be N. Lappin 2.0. in a few games last year it all clicked, i expect continual development.

Mayes, sammy is a legend and silky smooth footy player.. i see him ideally as a lead up half forward with elite movement and kicking skills. will be Luke Power 2.0.. the great player always forgotten when they look back on our 2018 premiership ;)

Christensen, really like his skillset when matched up with Reddo or Lester, super 'quick' player who will thrive being first receiver out of packs and make that vital clearance.

Robinson, tough as nails, disliked greatly at Carlton but has won me over already with his attitude to his second chance.

Paparone, so bloody fit, when im watching the game with a beer and my bong he makes me feel horrible with his repeat 100m sprints.. bastard.

and then their is Green and Squizzy, forwards but once again capable of playing MID. both elite at ground level (no surprise) and defensive pressure.

What is even more exciting is that Mitch Robinson becomes the oldest member of this potentially elite group at 25.. If we can keep them together, we may be looking at 4-7 years of midfield dominance, this makes me tingle in the groin region..

Defence

Clarke
is so unique. when I hear him talk i get the mad scientist vibe, and i dig it. so good to have guys like that in the locker room. also pretty handy on a footy field. great closing speed and go go-gadget arms make him a terrific negating defender, learning to kick too which is handy.

Merrett, can he be a top 5 Fullback again? I doubt it but will be happy to be proven wrong.

Maguire, old mate reliable, tough, courageous and great leadership, not sure how much he will play if sauce is fit and firing. another great bloke for the locker room.

Adcock, great player, greatly underrated outside the club. top rebound 50's whilst often playing on a small forward. as above tough, courageous.

Harwood, the guy who makes me throw the remote at the telly with ridiculous brainfades but when on his game probably our best small defender.

Gardiner, love dizzy, will be our 3rd tall for next 10 years. got dem crazy eyes going on big time!

Cutler, great kick, finds space, big future.

Golby, ?

Ruck

Stef is the best ruckman in the league, which is a ridiculous thing to say but based on 15 odd games last year is true.

West is more than serviceable, hopefully doesn't lose any agility post knee, doesn't have much to lose..

Luey, great tap ruckman, also great at ground level for a guy with bung knees/achilles and 7foot tall. not as important as he once was, but if fit and firing will be a huge bonus for us.

missing Z'obrien, Archie, and few others but yeah you get the point, we are on track to be quite the powerhouse..

so I write a thousand words on our beloved Lions future prospects and I get absolutely nothing.. you pack of mongrels :)
It's a work day for some.:D
Well done - don't agree with all of it but good effort just the same.

Freeman doesn't have the strength to play full forward. Will take a bit for him to make the 22 next year I think. Especially if Staker is fully fit.

Dude solid write up. Disagree whoever said freeman can't be full forward. Might take a few to put it all together but once he fills out he's gonna be a beast. He can take a mark and kick straight plonk him down the f50 he's such a big unit gonna be hard to stop once he builds his strength

Dude solid write up. Disagree whoever said freeman can't be full forward. Might take a few to put it all together but once he fills out he's gonna be a beast. He can take a mark and kick straight plonk him down the f50 he's such a big unit gonna be hard to stop once he builds his strength
I can't see him slotting in there next year - but will be a decent FF when he adds more muscle. Will be there for depth I think.

so I write a thousand words on our beloved Lions future prospects and I get absolutely nothing.. you pack of mongrels :)
It's the clique. Majority on this board will only post when the clique gives it the okay.
It could be that, or there's little left to add that isn't in one of these;
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/round-1-2015-full-strength-team.1069010/
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/season-2015.1080167/
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/brisbane-lions-top-16-in-2015.1075507/
I left a couple out.;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a good write up, bhys.

Sometimes there's no easy place to start to reply to what is a series of statements compared to, say, a question, or even a single statement.

Doesn't mean it's not a worthwhile read - just there's not as obvious a way in as, say, 'who's our best young player?'

Since Champion Data began, only the one premiership team has had less than 10 players in the 25 - 29 age bracket :footy: (Pies in 2010).

Most have had 12 - 15.

Next year, whilst faaar from a premiership; we're likely to have 9 at the start of the season, with 10 by the end of the season (Rich turns 25 in June):

Adcock 29
Martin 28
Leuenberger 26
Hanley 26
Zorko 26
Robinson 25
Bewick 25
Beams 25
Rockliff 25

Rich 24

Then there's a batch who are 23 / 24 during next season:

Redden 24
Christensen 24
Harwood 23
Beams 23

After that, there's a dip to the likes of Green and Lester who have just turned 22 and then a formidable list of youngsters aged between 19 and 21:

Clarke 21
Freeman 21
Mayes 20
Close 20
Paparone 20
Taylor 20
Cutler 20
Robertson 19
McStay 19
Gardiner 19*
Aish 19*

*Not 20 until after 2015 season

Since Champion Data began, only the one premiership team has had less than 10 players in the 25 - 29 age bracket :footy: (Pies in 2010).

Most have had 12 - 15.

Next year, whilst faaar from a premiership; we're likely to have 9 at the start of the season, with 10 by the end of the season (Rich turns 25 in June):

Adcock 29
Martin 28
Leuenberger 26
Hanley 26
Zorko 26
Robinson 25
Bewick 25
Beams 25
Rockliff 25

Rich 24

Then there's a batch who are 23 / 24 during next season:

Redden 24
Christensen 24
Harwood 23
Beams 23

After that, there's a dip to the likes of Green and Lester who have just turned 22 and then a formidable list of youngsters aged between 19 and 21:

Clarke 21
Freeman 21
Mayes 20
Close 20
Paparone 20
Taylor 20
Cutler 20
Robertson 19
McStay 19
Gardiner 19*
Aish 19*

*Not 20 until after 2015 season

great work with the stats.. your efforts backed up my positivity and make me pretty happy with my 2018 premiership prediction..

Is there a single person at this time of the year who doesn't think their club has a bright future ahead of them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back