List Mgmt. List Management 2014 - Contracts, Retirements, Delistings, Trade Bait (Updated in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

By my understanding we only need to free up three spots unless we trade in a player or FA.

Keps is Retired.
Gumby is shot.
Sylvia although doubtful in value ATM is contracted.
MDB, Suban and GG might be looking for other options.

Leaves Simpson who is out of contract under the pump unless one of MDB, Suban, C. Pearce or GG are traded for a pick.
Simpson is such a unique talent and player type so hard to find (speed and skill) I hope they persist with him.

Yes we only have to take three players. But I regard this as very unlikely because you must have 3 new to senior list (2 draft and 1 rookie has been done). We have only turned over 3 twice (2005, 1996). Both in the bad old days of our recruitment IMHO. More recently we have done 6 twice 7 once and 8 once.
Keep in mind that you have to have list space for all of the following; draft, pre-season draft, free agency, trades and rookie promotions.

I would think that there will be pressure from some of the rookies for an upgrade, in particular Menegola must be either delisted or upgraded. I pencil him in for a delist but that's because I think that Wood and Ballard both are better upgrades.
So I think a conservative 5 slots need to be found possibly 6.
As it is our team is one of the oldest in the league. Some say that it's because we have old talent that continues to perform the real reason is that we have had success from mature age recruits. The down side is that these players will not be around for as long and you have to go back to the well more frequently.
In any case and average of 6 players moved each year means that the list is rotated every 7 years. With 5 every 8 years. The question is really how often do you need to rotate the list to remain at the top. By way of comparison Geelong has moved on 5, 7, 5 and 6 in the last 4 years.

Delist: Gumbleton, Simpson and Menegola

Retire: Bradley and McPharlin

Trade any of Griffin, De Boer, Suban or C.Pearce for picks/upgrades/players if the price is right.

Promote Ballard.

If the club feels Simpson is a good chance of working out his problems, imo they should rookie him.

I believe he is on a two year rookie deal.

I would like to put him on the Sutcliffe roadmap to success. Small/rebounding defender who eventually makes the transition into the midfield if he proves good enough. If we don't HAVE to upgrade him then I suppose there is merit in saving it for a pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I certainly have no inside info but by upgrading Menegola maybe it shows that it is more likely he will be upgraded to the main list next year (they certainly have to make a decision on him).

Ballard has not received many rave reviews from what I have heard from RTB, it seems he has some issues with his kicking that must be resolved before he can be considered, so I would imagine he would remain a rookie but potential upgrade during the year.

I still hope Matt DeBoer is being groomed for the Crowley role because he will be terrific but if he was going then Menegola probably stays.

I believe he is on a two year rookie deal.

Rookie list players have the right to nominate for the draft after their first year, even if a club wants to retain them on the rookie list next year. That is a standard part of a rookie contract.

When Menagola was upgraded it was pretty much at the latest point that the club could upgrade a player this season. It is just precautionary. Or perhaps if we were in a situation to play the underlings, he could have played. I would not read too much into it.

Look, none of us can verify either of those claims. 188 is a fraction tall if correct, but if he has the pace and agility to go with the smalls, which imo he does, all the better.

I can verify his height and so could anybody who has seen him at training or at Peel
He is one big lump of a lad .Also he is not quick ,more a Barlowe, Mundy type in pace

Look, none of us can verify either of those claims. 188 is a fraction tall if correct, but if he has the pace and agility to go with the smalls, which imo he does, all the better.

IMO he definitely does not. Ballard is a midfielder, pure and simple. Personally I think he needs to work on his disposal a bit, specifically his decision making when kicking the ball (have heard Griff chew him out a couple of times over this, not in a nasty way mind you).

It would be ideal if we could keep him on the rookie list for another season because I think, at this stage, we have better depth options on the main list (DeBoer, Clancee, Subes). He will come good though, he is only 20. Given how execrable Peel are, I don't think any other clubs are going to woo him with main list positions at this stage.

Sam Grimley is on the Hawks list, but is behind Roughead, Gunstan and co. He has kicked 38 goals this year in 17 games, would happily give up our 2nd round for him. He can ruck as well which would make him a handy 2nd ruck with Clarke when Sandi retires.

He is 199cm's and 99kg, but needs to work on his fitness.

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/team_...nt=1-118-10469-294689-20320228&ocompID=294689
Interesting. Hawthorn seem to rate O'Brien ahead of him. Do players leave Hawthorn? [edit] Franklin just left, so I guess they do.
Not sure we want another 199cm type though, depends on how agile and quick he is, I guess.

Last edited:
Interesting. Hawthorn seem to rate O'Brien ahead of him. Do players leave Hawthorn?
Not sure we want another 199cm type though, depends on how agile and quick he is, I guess.

Yeah it is fine line, because we have apeness. If Apeness is 2+ years away and he is ready next year then do we look at him?

In 2 years, could a forward line Grimley, Taberner, Apeness, Walters, Ballas, Mayne work with Clarke in the ruck. I think this could work.

Definitely worth having a chat with his manager to see if he is interested.

Yeah it is fine line, because we have apeness. If Apeness is 2+ years away and he is ready next year then do we look at him?

In 2 years, could a forward line Grimley, Taberner, Apeness, Walters, Ballas, Mayne work with Clarke in the ruck. I think this could work.

Definitely worth having a chat with his manager to see if he is interested.
I think Apeness is 2+ years away as a forward/ruck, not sure it will take him that long as a forward. Just my take on it though. Can't see why Freo wouldn't have a chat to Grimley if they think he can help the club.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back