List Mgmt. List Management 2014 - Contracts, Retirements, Delistings, Trade Bait (Updated in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Ballard could do the role MDB did this year and probably better. Suban I'd like to trade, Demons could use him or the Bulldogs.

MDB can win the ball, it's his disposal that lets him down. Would it be possible to get a dedicated kicking coach to get his boot a bit better? Such a shame as he a lot of attributes that are valuable on the field and in the playing group. Unfortunately, bad kicking is bad football.

Ballard apparently needs a help with his kicking as well.

There's no proof of this in the public domain is there? I wouldn't have thought you'd be one to peg players to such unfounded claims without proof? That'd be slightly hypocritical wouldn't it??

I always thought it seemed more believable than-

Broughton probably didn't embrace the team defence game plan like the others did.

Then again you could argue there's a strong correlation between both of these theories anyway. I think Spurr/Sutcliffe is still an upgrade on Broughts and I was a big fan of his, one thing about Broughton is that he's very slow so Gray would have ripped him apart too. Most of Gray's goal were from s**t frees though so Nick Smith would've been caned too (if he played for Freo).

There's no proof of this in the public domain is there? I wouldn't have thought you'd be one to peg players to such unfounded claims without proof? That'd be slightly hypocritical wouldn't it??

You assume I think it's the player's fault, he isn't the first to leave a Lyon coached club over a difference in opinion. Similar thing to Luke Ball by all reports.

Broughton has been very good at Gold Coast and would be best 22 in most teams, he wasn't traded for not being good enough, he was traded because he "wasn't in Lyon's future plans".

You assume I think it's the player's fault, he isn't the first to leave a Lyon coached club over a difference in opinion. Similar thing to Luke Ball by all reports.

Broughton has been very good at Gold Coast and would be best 22 in most teams, he wasn't traded for not being good enough, he was traded because he "wasn't in Lyon's future plans".
I don't think this can be proven, but I do think this might be close to the truth.

Or, Broughton was on a high paying salary, but his position was taken by Lee Spurr. Because Spurr was better at the job.
And because of salary management, it made sense to offload Broughton to the Suns. They took care of the salary, and the salary cap returned to a balance, where the best players got the best salary.

Broughton wasn't bad, but Spurr was better. And Broughton was no longer worth what Fremantle were paying him.

See, you don't need to invent personality clashes with Lyon to work out a plausible reason for trading Broughton. This also gels with what Chris Bond said at the time.

I find it hard to believe a club administration would rather trade out a current (at the time) best 22 player purely to avoid 1 year of a back ended contract whilst we were on record for the last 5 or so years trying to pay overs for a mercenary KPF. That could happen to anybody at the club with a back ended contract...

Or, Broughton was on a high paying salary, but his position was taken by Lee Spurr. Because Spurr was better at the job.
And because of salary management, it made sense to offload Broughton to the Suns. They took care of the salary, and the salary cap returned to a balance, where the best players got the best salary.

Broughton wasn't bad, but Spurr was better. And Broughton was no longer worth what Fremantle were paying him.

See, you don't need to invent personality clashes with Lyon to work out a plausible reason for trading Broughton. This also gels with what Chris Bond said at the time.
THIS.

Clubs have to manage their list all the time. If a player who commands a decent salary isn't the best for a role and looks like playing a significant amount of time in reserves you move them on.

Otherwise you're just carrying wasted player inventory - list cloggers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it hard to believe a club administration would rather trade out a current (at the time) best 22 player purely to avoid 1 year of a back ended contract whilst we were on record for the last 5 or so years trying to pay overs for a mercenary KPF. That could happen to anybody at the club with a back ended contract...

I'm pretty sure Broughton had two years left on his contract. I think his contract at the Suns expired at the the end of this year, and was just that taken up from Fremantle. Not 100%, though.
Also, by the end of Spurr's first year, he was best 22, and not Broughton.

Also, there is a huge difference in paying overs for a back pocket small compared to trying to lure a KPF.

Let's have a look. Here's what Bond said;

"There's been speculation that he fell out with the coach and that's not right,''

"Ross has got a lot of respect for Greg and Greg for Ross, but at the end of the day it was just a decision in the best interests of the footy club and in talking to Greg, we think that everyone comes out with a win.

"We spoke to Greg and his management at length yesterday and I think we all walk away really satisfied, and Greg as well that he's going to get a great opportunity at the Gold Coast."

But I suppose Bond would say that, what did Broughton say?

Broughton said he and Lyon parted on good terms and scoffed at the suggestion they had fallen out.

"That is definitely not true," he said. "He is a great coach and he is going to lead Freo in the right direction.

"They just chose a different path and now so do I."

That's what I tried to tell Salim. If he just agrees with everything that Ross thinks than he can never be wrong because Ross is the coach and a very good one and what ever he decides to do is what happens. It's a very safe option as is never trading anyone. I however, chose to make up my mind on what I see and have to accept that I am most likely wrong. I can live with that.

Instead of taking cheap shots at Salim, why don't you try answering his original question "Who do think we would get that would improve our list by trading our C graders?"

Do you guys believe De Boer will be traded? Personally I'd love to have him at the Lions, and at 24 YO he fits in perfectly with the building of our list.

Do you guys believe De Boer will be traded? Personally I'd love to have him at the Lions, and at 24 YO he fits in perfectly with the building of our list.

It largely depends what clubs would offer. I'm not sure of the money he is on but he is a good player that can cover a variety of positions.

I can't wait until the delistings are actually announced to end the speculation..... for at least 6 months

I reckon Ballard could do the role MDB did this year and probably better. Suban I'd like to trade, Demons could use him or the Bulldogs.

Not sure an untried rookie will be able to do the role better. I believe MDB will take over from Crowley when he retires. I don't think there's a spot for DeBoer unless it's in the tagger role

Not sure an untried rookie will be able to do the role better. I believe MDB will take over from Crowley when he retires. I don't think there's a spot for DeBoer unless it's in the tagger role

Thats a long time to stay on a list waiting for a bloke to retire. It's not as if MdB is 20 and is learning. He's played a fair amount of footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back