List Mgmt. List Management 2014 - Contracts, Retirements, Delistings, Trade Bait (Updated in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hardly anyone kicks both feet nowadays. Most players prefer the checkside or banana. Apart from truly ambidextrous players like Sam Mitchell kicking on the opposite foot is done in emergency cases only.

There are a truck load of one footed players in the AFL. Keiran Jack for example, costed Sydney two goals in the GF because of it. Twice he was 10 metres out running into goal but had to change direction, ended up getting mowed down for HTB

If you play AFL at the elite level you should be forced to train both legs. Sam Mitchell's a prime example of it, can pin point a pass with both feet and rarely gets pinged because of it

Yeah well unfortunately teams are drafting players for speed, agility, height, vertical jumps etc.

I've said it before but those entering the draft should be given a sherrin and asked to kick on both feet to win a place for further testing. If you can't kick it then no one cares if you're quick. Rohan comes to mind instantly, couldn't even bounce the ball on the run in the GF and kicked so poorly.

AFL needs more Barlows not more robots.

There are a truck load of one footed players in the AFL. Keiran Jack for example, costed Sydney two goals in the GF because of it. Twice he was 10 metres out running into goal but had to change direction, ended up getting mowed down for HTB

If you play AFL at the elite level you should be forced to train both legs. Sam Mitchell's a prime example of it, can pin point a pass with both feet and rarely gets pinged because of it

Exactly, Mitchell taught himself how to kick on his left at around 15 or 16 from memory

Here is a great article about Mitchell.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/sam-i-can-20120811-241f7.html

Mitchell thus has a competitive advantage over the midfield pack that buys him time when he wins the ball. ''His left foot gives him an exit,'' explained one opposition assistant coach who has studied the Hawk extractor closely. ''He handballs both hands really well - that gives him two exits. You can't just play him on one shoulder.''

The dual-sided skills have been developed in the course of his time at Hawthorn. Schwab recalled telling Mitchell to kick on his right foot where possible. Mitchell's relentless drive to improve was such that he no longer has a dominant foot. ''He's almost turned himself into a left-foot kick,'' said Schwab.

Last edited:

Exactly, Mitchell taught himself how to kick on his left at around 15 or 16 from memory

From my memory he was a left footed as a junior and taught himself to kick on his right, where it was then perceived by the AFL community to be his 'natural' foot.

He was naturally left that became preferred right, not the other way around.

Very few players, at any point in the history of the game, have been any good off their opposite foot under any sort of pressure. It is an incredibly difficult skill for which the primary requirement is natural ability. Practice practice practice will get you from awfull to adequate, but adequate doesn't cut it under pressure.
That being said if there if one area they should be better at it's snapping from close range off the opposite. In today's pressure footy it's hardly the percentage to run back into traffic to get on your natural foot (see Jack comment above).
Also anyone complaining about one sided left footers is an idiot. There is no magical quality that makes a randomly chosen left footer more or less one sided than a right footer.

I think Darren Jarman and Jason Akermanis are probably the two others I've seen with genuine equal ability on both feet.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahaha

You can not be serious, Sam Mitchell is awesome of both feet. His side step to either side and then quick kick is unbelievable and this is what I hope Neale could develop. Obviously he can not do this if he can't kick on his left.

From memory Sam Mitchell is a natural right footer, but taught himself to kick on his left late and has a better action and is more accurate. I think a junior coach of his got angry at him for kicking on his right and wondering why he didn't use his dominate foot.

I think you read his post wrong because he actually did say Mitchell is the best off both feet. You look kinda stupid now with all that carrying on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So in other words ambidextrous?

Nah, It is advantageous for a right handed person to learn to bat left handed, some are even taught this way. You want your top hand to be your stronger hand. Ask Mike Hussey to bowl left handed though and you're going to have problems, he's not ambidextrous.

Cobbler said:
So in other words ambidextrous?
No. They are not. They learnt to bat with their dominant hand as their top hand. This is how they bat. If you forced them to bat right handed every ball they would not be equally as proficient. Further they don't do everthing with both hands. They bowl, throw, open doors, shake hands and presumably ah-ha-ha-hem with their right because they are right handed. Not ambi-bloody-dexterous!

So far as I am aware neither Warner or Gilly are ambidextrous. They are right handers that bat left handed. Like Clarke. Or Langer, or billions of batsmen actually.
Ian Harvey was genuinely ambidextrous.
Add Michael Clarke and M Hussey.
You know who had a great left foot that helped made him a champion? Glen Jackovich, his left was superb over 30-40m. He set up a lot of attacks running the opposite direction that people expected and hitting up team mates.

I think we're arguing over different shades of white when it comes to the term ambidextrous.

In professional sports (baseball pitching aside) you'll find hardly anyone who is truly ambidextrous because they wouldn't invest as much time practicing on each side.

For me if you can do one thing (bat left handed) and do another thing (swing a gold club right handed) I'd call you ambidextrous.

No. They are not. They learnt to bat with their dominant hand as their top hand. This is how they bat. If you forced them to bat right handed every ball they would not be equally as proficient. Further they don't do everthing with both hands. They bowl, throw, open doors, shake hands and presumably ah-ha-ha-hem with their right because they are right handed. Not ambi-bloody-dexterous!

Calm down mate.

If Ian Harvey was genuinely ambidextrous why didn't he bat left handed or bowl left handed? Was he not equally proficient? Therefore not ambidextrous??

Please explain how he would be considered ambidextrous over the others.

Calm down mate.

If Ian Harvey was genuinely ambidextrous why didn't he bat left handed or bowl left handed? Was he not equally proficient? Therefore not ambidextrous??

Please explain how he would be considered ambidextrous over the others.

Warner is the only one I would classify as ambidextrous, given he spent a season batting right handed in state league cricket and can throw with both hands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back