List management and the end of the 2012 season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 3, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle
Well the time has quickly come around again where the team needs to make some very tough decisions in relation to the list management. I think that this will be one of the hardest times in the teams history as our list ( in my opinion) has a deep range of young talent and older players who continue to perform well.
Delistings will have to be made though so that we can make the best use of our draft picks.

My suggestions are as follows;

Jessie Crichton ( trade/delist ) just not making the grade, too small not strong enough and not enough ball winning capacity
Antoni Grover ( Retire- Great servant of the club but age and injuries take their toll )
Viv Michie ( trade/delist ) too many similar type and sized players who are not injury prone
Nick Suban ( trade ) has not come on anywhere as well as initially thought and is a long way behind similar players. May also have currency with younger teams like GWS and GC.
Jay Van Belo ( delist ) honest trier who is not up to AFL standard and is a mile behind similar type players

Our current list of rookies show promise and Lee Spurr should be upgraded to the main list. Let's hope that we load up on key position forwards this time with our early picks and pick the best of the rest!

Well the time has quickly come around again where the team needs to make some very tough decisions in relation to the list management. I think that this will be one of the hardest times in the teams history as our list ( in my opinion) has a deep range of young talent and older players who continue to perform well.
Delistings will have to be made though so that we can make the best use of our draft picks.

Jessie Crichton ( trade/delist ) just not making the grade, too small not strong enough and not enough ball winning capacity
Antoni Grover ( Retire- Great servant of the club but age and injuries take their toll )
Viv Michie ( trade/delist ) too many similar type and sized players who are not injury prone
Nick Suban ( trade ) has not come on anywhere as well as initially thought and is a long way behind similar players. May also have currency with younger teams like GWS and GC.
Jay Van Belo ( delist ) honest trier who is not up to AFL standard and is a mile behind similar type players

Our current list of rookies show promise and Lee Spurr should be upgraded to the main list. Let's hope that we load up on key position forwards this time with our early picks and pick the best of the rest!

Mitchie has been signed for another 12 months.

Jack Anthony - Contracted but I think we should delist him
McPhee - Trade\Delist (Assuming he wont sign a contract with us)
Suban\Duffiled\Ibbitson - Trade for the right deal.
Grover - Retire
Chrichton - Delist
Jay Van Belo - Delist
Players to trade for Lucas Gumbleton Free Agents Daniel Pearce - Will add run and carry\spread to our team and his skills are excellent. Can't handle the tag but wont get tagged at fremantle will Hill, Mundy and Barlow all getting tagged before him

No way michie goes, and he is not similar to our other players at all. he has genuine speed, and elite skills by foot.

my suggestions would be

crichton- same reasons as you suggest
grover- retire
suban- trade
Jay van berlo- not good enough
Mzungu- trade to GWS as part of minidraft
Bradley- trade to GWS as part of minidraft

others
anthony- would love to see him get a go in the backline, great kick, and has done it well in the past
Faulks- would have hoped him to have had an impact by now, saved by our lack of KPP's
Broughton- love him as a player, and definitely dont want to see him go, not sure Ross is wrpt with him though, may be trade bait
Silvagni- same as broughton, lyon said he sees him as a big part of the future... but really what else is he going to say? would not be surprised to see him leave
Ibbotson- gets games regularly, i think he is very tradeable
duffield- See ibbotson

Maybe save these type of threads for the actual 'end' of season.

i dont know.. its something else to muse about, no harm in that. although it will become a "which player dont i like thread"... i.e me suggesting mzungu be traded. dont think there is any problem with that.

Going to be tough come season's end, though you'd think Ross would have pretty definate idea's about the list having watched them train for a full season..

VB gorn
Grover retired
Crichton gorn (re rookie if they like him)

Pearce should be the only rookie upgraded, Spurr to stay on the rookie list for at least another 12 months.

No way michie goes, and he is not similar to our other players at all. he has genuine speed, and elite skills by foot.

my suggestions would be

crichton- same reasons as you suggest
grover- retire
suban- trade
Jay van berlo- not good enough
Mzungu- trade to GWS as part of minidraft
Bradley- trade to GWS as part of minidraft

others
anthony- would love to see him get a go in the backline, great kick, and has done it well in the past
Faulks- would have hoped him to have had an impact by now, saved by our lack of KPP's
Broughton- love him as a player, and definitely dont want to see him go, not sure Ross is wrpt with him though, may be trade bait
Silvagni- same as broughton, lyon said he sees him as a big part of the future... but really what else is he going to say? would not be surprised to see him leave
Ibbotson- gets games regularly, i think he is very tradeable
duffield- See ibbotson
what about griffin?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to be tough come season's end, though you'd think Ross would have pretty definate idea's about the list having watched them train for a full season..

VB gorn
Grover retired
Crichton gorn (re rookie if they like him)

Pearce should be the only rookie upgraded, Spurr to stay on the rookie list for at least another 12 months.

Pretty well agree with this. I think that Jessie will be offered a spot on the rookie list . Long term I see him taking Crowls role.

Given we have Moller coming on board,Zac or Moller, are trade bait for the GWS 2nd pick. We also have a surplus of HBF's so Ibbo/Duff/Suban/Spurr are potential trades.

The club will want McPhee to stay on but it will be up to him.

I would payout Jack Anthony and de-list Roberts

Pretty well agree with this. I think that Jessie will be offered a spot on the rookie list . Long term I see him taking Crowls role.

Given we have Moller coming on board,Zac or Moller, are trade bait for the GWS 2nd pick. We also have a surplus of HBF's so Ibbo/Duff/Suban/Spurr are potential trades.

The club will want McPhee to stay on but it will be up to him.

I would payout Jack Anthony and de-list Roberts

I'd rather see Schloithe taking over Crowleys role.

McPhee is a very real possibility of retiring or leaving Perth. Was on some random show last night saying as much. Basically saying having no family support means they must stay home with the 2 boys. Verbatim "no date nights" so they use their theatre room as an escape. Very real possibility of retiring. The last 3 years was the time he thought about his own career, now the decision isn't his, thinking more about family.

Will be a big loss, but i think a career opportunity for Silvagni/Faulks.

IMO, one of Duffield or Ibbotson needs to go. Trade
Suban trade.
Van Berlo - delist
Moller: if he is part of the package for pick 2 mini draft, then trade otherwise keep.
Roberts: delist
Pearce: upgrade to main list.
Spurr: stay as rookie.
Anthony: play out contract as KPD insurance then delist 2013.
Criertown: I'm undecided here. He's got something that some patience could nut out.
Grover: retire.

I havent seen a lot of Pears lately, but how would people feel about trading Pears and Gumbleton for our first round pick.

They are both only 22, and if we can get them both injury free they will be great pickups.

I definitely rate Pears, but I thought he was more of a full back type than a centre half back. We've got more than enough depth at FB now. No-one elite obviously (assuming Elvis is CHB), but we need guys that are capable of playing CHB.

I'd save the first rounder for the best available quick outside mid with good ball winning capability and good/great kicking, or KPF if they're a genuine best available at that spot. Gumbleton is a major risk, and we have enough depth at FB (unless I'm wrong in assuming Pears is essentially a FB).

EDIT: Bolded

Only one or two kp's will be on the list for trade, de-list, all will be required, for back-up, contingency plans. Mcphie will make up his own mind.
Roberts cant get on the track, Grover to retire.
I would keep Bradley, Anthony, Silvagni, Faulks, all are mature age players, and are plug in play.
Crowley, Crighton, JVB, Suban, Duffield, Ibbotson, all play in similar positions, at least two will be moved on, Crowley may go for the coin.
Is Son Son safe?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back