News List management overhaul

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Apologies if this is already in the 285 page Supermegaultrathread:

Former Melbourne and Sydney footballer Adrian Battiston is set to join West Coast as the club looks to beef up the list management side of its football operations.

Battiston, who played 96 games for Melbourne from 1982-1987 before playing nine games for Sydney in two seasons, will assume responsibility for a big portion of the Eagles' list management strategy.

West Coast chief executive Trevor Nisbett confirmed that Battiston, currently working as a lawyer with an emphasis on sport in Adelaide, was likely to join the club and that veteran recruiter Mick Moylan, who had been working out of Melbourne in recent years, would return to WA.

Nisbett hoped that Moylan would remain with West Coast in some capacity but said there was no defined role for him at the moment.

Football operations manager Craig Vozzo is overseeing the changes.

Rohan O'Brien is expected to remain the club's head of recruiting but Moylan's fellow veteran scout Trevor Woodhouse is also expected to scale back his role at the club.

There is speculation that Brad Smith could be given increased responsibility in the recruiting department.

The moves are, in part, to rationalise and prune the club's football department costs, with the AFL's "soft tax" on football department spending looming.

But they are also driven by succession planning and circumstances.

Neale Daniher stood down from his role as the club's football operations manager 12 months ago because of his battle with motor neurone disease and has now returned to Victoria.

"We don't have an official list manager at the moment," Nisbett said. "Craig will still head up the football department and have a strong input into the list management side of it.

"He has been looking at how we structure it up with Neale's departure for a few months now. Adrian has been part of that mix."

Stalwarts Moylan and Woodhouse have long-standing associations with the club spanning more than 20 years and Nisbett expects both to stay involved.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/25236702/new-recruit-to-focus-on-eagles-list/

mick06

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United; San D uh LA Chargers
That all sounds pretty amateur for a supposedly professionally run club. No list manager going into this time of year?
That's an area i would not want to scrimp on to cater for the tax

Longwthebreeze

Senior List
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
That all sounds pretty amateur for a supposedly professionally run club. No list manager going into this time of year?
That's an area i would not want to scrimp on to cater for the tax
Craig Vosso has been list manager for about the last 4 years, he`s going to be taking over the Football Managers role as Neale Daniher is battling illness and has returned to Melb.
Vosso had a year with Daniher, new bloke takes over with Vosso still around. Pretty professionally run succession planning from a very professional club I would have thought!!
I reckon its great to have an intelligent lawyer looking after legally binding employment contracts while also dealing with player managers, club direction planning (short & long term) and AFL salary cap pressure, to name a few...

West Coast Weasel

Club Legend
Jan 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seattle Sonics/OKC Thunder
Why a lawyer? Considering the insane amount of turnover of coaches and whatnot from AFL teams, surely we could entice someone with football management experience to West Coast. Also this should of probably been done waaay before we entered the trading period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Longwthebreeze

Senior List
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Why a lawyer? Considering the insane amount of turnover of coaches and whatnot from AFL teams, surely we could entice someone with football management experience to West Coast. Also this should of probably been done waaay before we entered the trading period.
Please see 4 posts above yours. Vosso is the List Manager!!!!!! Can you possibly explain why a former coach is better than a lawyer as a List/Contracts Manager. BTW- they don't decide who gets drafted or traded (THAT WOULD BE THE HEAD OF RECRUITING) but they are involved in the list strategy committee who decide where the club is headed, how to structure contracts, make sure its between 92% - 100% of the salary cap ETC ETC ETC. Give me a lawyer any day!!

swannies

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Armchair Endzone Minor Comp Winner Armchair Endzone Participant
Oct 27, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Everton
Peter Gordon is a lawyer. Just saying..... :)

Albert Ross

Premiership Player
Nov 24, 2012
Portland, Victoria
AFL Club
GWS

He has been working for Tom Petroro at Stride Sports which is one of the big Player Manager companies.

http://www.stridesports.com.au/adrian-battiston

joeyavalanche

Premiership Player
May 30, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
im very pleased when i hear these sorts of stories when the club is being pro-active.
im just not sure why we are so far behind everyone else when it comes to doing it.

West Coast Weasel

Club Legend
Jan 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seattle Sonics/OKC Thunder
Please see 4 posts above yours. Vosso is the List Manager!!!!!!

First and foremost, that amount of exclamation points makes you come across like a... well you know... Lighten up mate, we're all friendly here. Keyboard warriors can head over to the Bay. Also I was talking about Battison not Vozzo, but hey, don't let that stop you.

He has been working for Tom Petroro at Stride Sports which is one of the big Player Manager companies.

http://www.stridesports.com.au/adrian-battiston

Thank you Albert Ross for the answer. That clears things up a bit :thumbsu:

Longwthebreeze

Senior List
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
"No list manager going into this time of year?"

Also this should of probably been done waaay before we entered the trading period.

No worries mate, I think we were discussing two different things. The the fact remains Vosso is the List Manager and I know you`re talking about Battiston.
FWIW, WC was the first club to have a full-time List/ Strategy role around 5-7 years ago. It was always done by the Footy manager and his admin staff across the AFL. Now theres 18 of them.

Problem for list managers/recruiters is that it can take a few years before the value of your work can be fairly judged and that others are responsible for developing the talent you identify

Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown
Problem for list managers/recruiters is that it can take a few years before the value of your work can be fairly judged and that others are responsible for developing the talent you identify
How difficult can it be to manage a list? List management would be the most straightforward task given to anyone in football operations. Talent identification and recruitment is where bread must be buttered.

How difficult can it be to manage a list? List management would be the most straightforward task given to anyone in football operations. Talent identification and recruitment is where bread must be buttered.

Yeah I kinda lumped list management and talent identification together which was simplistic

List management I don't think would be as easy as you make out though

Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown
Yeah I kinda lumped list management and talent identification together which was simplistic

List management I don't think would be as easy as you make out though
Respectfully, I disagree and here is the way I would go about it.
  • Assess current list
  • Identify strengths and weaknesses
  • Identify acquirable talent (segmented into draft/trades/free agents)
  • Identify tradable players (currency based)
  • List Project 1 to 5 seasons ahead identifying potential weak spots (this includes potential players losses through trades/delistings/retirements)
  • Manage cap hits per player (facilitating current and future list moves)
That's a fairly simplistic notion knocked up in a few minutes. Industry professionals should be capable of managing a list without battering an eyelid.

Respectfully, I disagree and here is the way I would go about it.
  • Assess current list
  • Identify strengths and weaknesses
  • Identify acquirable talent (segmented into draft/trades/free agents)
  • Identify tradable players (currency based)
  • List Project 1 to 5 seasons ahead identifying potential weak spots (this includes potential players losses through trades/delistings/retirements)
  • Manage cap hits per player (facilitating current and future list moves)
That's a fairly simplistic notion knocked up in a few minutes. Industry professionals should be capable of managing a list without battering an eyelid.

And then you get a phone call saying that your club captain wants out of his contract because he doesn't like the coach

Or your prized No1 draft pick from a year ago says he wants to go home

Remove this Banner Ad

Back