Opinion List Management

.... I will be there next year as I am every year and am Port Adelaide till I die and I know that it was agree to the conditions or basically die but there's an ever growing part of me that wants nothing more to do with the snafl .....
I think that if we want the Maggies to be at least competitive we have to move beyond the SNAFL, e.g. the VFL or the SAAFL. But legally/financially I'm not sure it's viable.
The VFL seem to incorporate AFL linked sides without this drama. Do the WAFL emasculate the Freo and West Coast linked teams like this?

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Doesn't anyone realise that having spuds who wouldn't get an A grade game for their grassrootsfooty team perfectly balances out the superhuman qualities of those AFL-listed players with not enough experience, body maturity or form to get an AFL game? Geez it's so obvious! #integrity

Last edited:
"Eight positions on the contract player list remain vacant after the departures of Aseri Raikiwasa (to Woodville-West Torrens), Ben Haren (to South Adelaide) and the retirement of Henry Slattery."

Nathan Krakouer, Jake Johansen, Danny Butcher, Zac Hawkins and Matt Venter's future with the club are unknown.

Bruggemann to Sturt rumor is false ...
Good. Interstate I could have handled, or even the SAAFL. But not to another SANFL team.
He's not a superstar but he holds his own. If he starts off fitter this year and his best is a bit more consistent he might make a name for himself.
... http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-11-17/six-exciting-magpies-make-new-commitments-for-2015

"ANGUS Bruggemann, Anthony Biemans, Sam Gordon, Ben Sawford, Louis Sharrad and Robbie Young have all agreed to remain Port Adelaide players for the 2015 SANFL season ....
I don't know Gordon or Sawford but the others are all good sign-ups.
... Included on that list for 2015 is Magpies captain Steven Summerton, who will take to the field in the second of a three-year deal with the club."
Phew!

I don't know Gordon or Sawford but the others are all good sign-ups.
Gordon will most likely spend next year in the Academy team up fwd.
Sawford is very good midfield depth and stepped up to the challenge when called up to the Maggies throughout 2014. Won the Academy B&F without even playing with full season at SANFL Reserves level.

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2756/

"Port Adelaide bigman Angus Bruggemann has decided to remain at Alberton next year despite attracting interest from rival SANFL clubs.

Port will also be sweating on talented trio Jake Johansen, Keenan Ramsey and Declan Hamilton, who could all be picked in this month’s AFL National Draft or the AFL Rookie Draft in November.

Should they be overlooked, they will be strongly considered as for one of the remaining SANFL contracts on offer at Alberton. Port has the ability to sign 15 non AFL-listed players per season.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's Krak I still want at Alberton.

Also, the club must fight to be able to up that payment of 400 to 600 and most importantly push to be able to demote an AFL player that would be best served to find confidence and form in a couple of reserves games. That would keep the contracted players believing their good form can be rewarded. We don't want AFL players in the Academy games but there are cases where it is beneficial. We should be allowed to have a couple of more senior contracted players as well. What the heck, we should be able to do as we bloody please!

AdsGoNads

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2014
SA Great
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brøndby IF, Adelaide City FC
It's Krak I still want at Alberton.

Also, the club must fight to be able to up that payment of 400 to 600 and most importantly push to be able to demote an AFL player that would be best served to find confidence and form in a couple of reserves games. That would keep the contracted players believing their good form can be rewarded. We don't want AFL players in the Academy games but there are cases where it is beneficial. We should be allowed to have a couple of more senior contracted players as well. What the heck, we should be able to do as we bloody please!

Totally Agree on all Fronts!

Good to see the six lads sign on but sorry to see Raikiwasa leave. Thought he was a chance for a rookie list spot the past couple of years but it just wasn't to be.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He fended off the Eagle's offer and money last season because he didn't want to leave Port but soon the disappointment on his face after the first few weeks was pretty noticeable after matches.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There is no doubt the sanfl sanctions were designed to hamstring the maggies and prevent us from ultimate success, and unfortunately the bird may have already flown on any chance of another gf appearance because those sanctions will almost certainly bite even harder next season.

Two examples of the bs selection system forced on the club, were Haren, who was regularly the first player dropped even though his form warranted selection, and Russell, who was clearly not up to sanfl league standard when first selected, well off match fitness due to missing a large chunk of the season, and took 3 or 4 games to get a kick.

The above aside, all the club probably needed was one genuine ruckman in the team on gf day and we would probably have seen a different result, so I will still be attending the majority of Maggie games at Alberton next season.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Rumour that Luke Reynolds back with Maggies in 2015.
Maybe Deerick Wanganeen too.

I thought the SNAFL rules were we couldn''t recruit anyone (even ex-Magpies) who had been on an AFL list for the past two years though?

Rumour that Luke Reynolds back with Maggies in 2015.
Maybe Deerick Wanganeen too.

I thought the SNAFL rules were we couldn''t recruit anyone (even ex-Magpies) who had been on an AFL list for the past two years though?

Unfortunately they can't come back. I wish there was an exception to the rule for ex Port Adelaide players that have played via the junior system, Academy, Maggies or Power. Would have loved Heath and Stevenson to stay around another year or 2 at SANFL level and to bring back Wanganeen and Reynolds.

Ralph Lorenz

Premium Gold
Jan 19, 2012
Country VIC
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Unfortunately they can't come back. I wish there was an exception to the rule for ex Port Adelaide players that have played via the junior system, Academy, Maggies or Power. Would have loved Heath and Stevenson to stay around another year or 2 at SANFL level and to bring back Wanganeen and Reynolds.
Anyone looking at using us to reinvigorate their career such as Krak will be disappointed to know the SANFL has ensured we won't be used as a stepping stone.
Still an exciting to see Port Adelaide's Academy side possibly getting the same limelight of successful TAC Cup teams as being renowned for producing great draft prospects.
Although very limited spots will only ever be available going forward in the SANFL seniors side unless we're hampered with injury which could work against us.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I was told by an Academy player that if they were from the Magpies and got delisted from an AFL rookie list, it may be possible for the player to return to us. The club is preparing to discuss this with the sanfl. Also, rumour is that a contracted player that has signed may have changed his mind.

As for Heath and Stevenson, I thought that I read that if they are straight off of our AFL list we can contract them, otherwise off of another club's main list we cannot.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Aslo worth noting that with Krakouer being called up to the AFL list, There are 8 spots still left in the Maggies list...Jake Johansen, Danny Butcher, Zac Hawkins and Matt Venter have not re-signed yet.

Rumour is that rather than not having re-signed yet, all of these may not be getting signed, perhaps one will, perhaps.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Also, rumour is that a contracted player that has signed may have changed his mind.

As for Heath and Stevenson, I thought that I read that if they are straight off of our AFL list we can contract them, otherwise off of another club's main list we cannot.

Bruggemann?

Rumour is that rather than not having re-signed yet, all of these may not be getting signed, perhaps one will, perhaps.
Would love to keep Johansen, Danny Butcher and Hawkins.
Not sure Venter can make the jump up to SANFL let alone AFL so I'd delist him.

Back