Club Legend
Mar 12, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PAFC SANFL
Sorry, I don't think that's fair ,

you can say that against a lot of clubs as well,
Examples -----: a player in this Rookie Draft was promised to be Rookied then the club went back on their word. A club that takes a player one year only to delist the next are these instances not the same ?????

No love lost in football :confused:
So if a star Power player leaves the club in the future that's cool too? No love lost and all that?

AJJPAFC

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PAFC SANFL
Dog act? Get a grip. He would've been told to hang around to see what happened with the draft before making up his mind, and unfortunately for him 3 of the 4 draftees are taller than him. Rules or not, at least one of them would get first crack in the league team before him. I guarantee the club would have no grudge with him moving on.
Fair enough. Dog act may be a tad strong. Poor form though. Should have seen through one more year at least.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Fair enough. Dog act may be a tad strong. Poor form though. Should have seen through one more year at least.
Why? So he can play in the Academy team for $100 a game? He'll have Redden, Butcher, Shaw, Harvey, Clurey, Frampton, Austin and Howard ahead of him - all as tall or taller. He'd also have Gordon (if he stays) to compete with, and Stewart and Flynn are only an inch or so shorter than him as well. He would not get a game unless half those guys are missing through injury or suspension. Haren saw this coming and got out too. Port Adelaide continues to improve the standard of the competition, that's how I see it!

Would be very surprised if any new contractors are 190cm plus.

tamba

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2007
In my MAN Cave
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
South Cairns Cutters
So if a star Power player leaves the club in the future that's cool too? No love lost and all that?

You r missing the reason , there was very little chance of playing Magpies / SANFL ----- Power Reserves . Others had to be picked "before a contracted player" simple as that & playing in different leagues

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I don't like it but the reality is that he gets to play if and only if there are less than 21 available AFL players. Somehow Sturt have found some backer that is able to pay these players a large upfront payment (as they reportedly did with Beard and Kirkwood) of which we are not allowed to do plus the guarantee of league games based upon form. The $400 per week is not the biggest hurdle in this rotten deal for us, although it is still a sizeable thorn.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ben Beioley and Ant Prior in Macca's State U18 squad - as North Adelaide players

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Aaaarrrggghhhhhhhhhhhh.......my head will explode soon :(
At least we won't have to worry about our juniors being poached by other clubs next year. Hopefully it's us doing the poaching of 4 or 5 quality 17-18 year olds from all over the state to add to our contractors list or the academy squad.

AdsGoNads

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2014
SA Great
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brøndby IF, Adelaide City FC
9 vacant spots remain
D.Butcher, Hawkins and Venter are the 3 players from 2014 unconfirmed for 2015.

So who's lining up to take these 9 spots?

Assuming Hawkins, Butcher + Venter all sign on - that leaves 6 spots..

I remember a squad of players lining up last season to take 3 spots (one being Krak) ... but I don't see anyone lining up this season..

Does anyone know how our Maggies recruitments are going leading into 2015?

So who's lining up to take these 9 spots?

Assuming Hawkins, Butcher + Venter all sign on - that leaves 6 spots..

I remember a squad of players lining up last season to take 3 spots (one being Krak) ... but I don't see anyone lining up this season..

Does anyone know how our Maggies recruitments are going leading into 2015?

We have about 40 Academy players training for those spots. I'd imagine we would also give 1 or 2 of them to a person from another sport (eg Venter) and someone decent from the amateur leagues (eg Bruggemann).

I think we have until the week before round 1 to fill all the spots. So I think the Academy boys will be hoping to impress in pre-season training/games.

Regardless of whats right (Port players coming back to port feel right) - I thought the wording of the rules had been written to prevent this... has anyone seen the actual rules ?

Edit - found this on another forum:

PLAYER REGULATION CHANGES

The SANFL has announced changes to the Adelaide and Port Adelaide Football Clubs’ player regulation rules in the State League competition for season 2015.
Among the changes, all non-AFL listed players must be aged under 23, cannot be contracted for more than one year or recruited from interstate.
Adelaide will not be permitted to use SANFL players from rival clubs as top-up players next year.
The changes, ratified by the SA Football Commission, have been finalised after the league’s ongoing review of the regulations for Adelaide’s SANFL team and the restructured Port Adelaide Magpies.
The aim of this year’s review was to bring the on-field regulations for both Adelaide and Port Adelaide into line.
All non-AFL aligned SANFL clubs were involved in the review process, with the eight teams provided with an opportunity to recommend changes throughout the consultation period.
Adelaide and Port Adelaide also provided feedback on the proposed regulations during the review.

2015 PLAYER REGULATION CHANGES

1. To be eligible for inclusion on the PAMFC or AFC Supplementary List, a person must be under the age of 23 before January 1 the year in which the player is included on the Supplementary List. A player may play as a top-up player past the age of 23 as long as he is first listed prior to the age of 23. Adelaide and Port Adelaide will be able to retain current contracted players already over the age of 23.
2. PAMFC & AFC cannot contract players for more than one year. This will not impact on current players contracted for more than one season.
3. Players included on the list of AFC or PAMFC cannot be recruited from outside of South Australia. This rule will not be retrospective, allowing those already contracted to Adelaide and Port to continue playing next year.
4. Remove the option for AFC to source top-up players from SANFL clubs. From 2015, Adelaide won’t include players from rival SANFL clubs, with all top-up players to be recruited from Community Football clubs.
Following the changes for 2015, the player regulations will continue to be reviewed by the SANFL, its clubs and AFC and PAFC on an annual basis.

I wonder if there's a loophole re where Luke is from, or an existing rule allowing our juniors to return.

Last edited:

Jim Dixon

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2013
Canada
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What does "outside of South Australia" mean? If I drive from Melbourne to Alberton, and sign a contract to play for Port Adelaide there, then I'm not being recruited from outside of South Australia.

#rabblerabble

Let's just sign who we can and see what sort of a fuss they make.

"Bubububut those mongrels can't recruit from interstate! Cheats!" they will all say.... Sets a nice precedent I think, at least for expat South Australians.

Welcome home Luke :D

I see you've stuck out the bait on that other site :)

Ralph Lorenz

Premium Gold
Jan 19, 2012
Country VIC
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I was told by an Academy player that if they were from the Magpies and got delisted from an AFL rookie list, it may be possible for the player to return to us. The club is preparing to discuss this with the sanfl. Also, rumour is that a contracted player that has signed may have changed his mind.

As for Heath and Stevenson, I thought that I read that if they are straight off of our AFL list we can contract them, otherwise off of another club's main list we cannot.
Actually, here's the latest on the issue.

Did not even know it was possible to sign him.

Nonetheless, I'm very happy we got him. As soon as Carlton delisted him I wanted him to come back to Port. Only 20 years old too.

Back