List of 2014 Free Agents

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO, he would not leave Carlton unless teams like Gold Coast, GWS, St Kilda or Melbourne throw money at him.
Why? So he can piss away the last few years of his career with rebuilding sides? If he went, he would go to a team in premiership contention imo. Hawthorn, Fremantle, Collingwood and Adelaide could go after him. The Hawks and Pies have lots of salary cap space to boot. And you can never rule out Sydney ;)

Almost guaranteed 2-3 big names will move to other clubs as the money available is simply too much to ignore.

My predictions
Boak to Geelong (Money and closer to family
Gibbs to Port (Money and to be with family)
Frawley to GC(Wants a new start)
Kelly to GWS (Because Boak came and offered a coaching/playing role)
Mundy to Melbourne (Money)
Hurn to Adelaide( Family)
Higgins to Melbourne
Ben Ried to Sydney: Due to the retirement of Richards, the Swans get him and also gets to be with his brother)
Hmmm, doubt half of these predictions will come true.

I hate Port, but no way Boak as captain is going to walk.

My predictions
Boak to Geelong (Money and closer to family
Gibbs to Port (Money and to be with family)
Frawley to GC(Wants a new start)
Kelly to GWS (Because Boak came and offered a coaching/playing role)
Mundy to Melbourne (Money)
Hurn to Adelaide( Family)
Higgins to Melbourne
Ben Ried to Sydney: Due to the retirement of Richards, the Swans get him and also gets to be with his brother)
Why would Hurn move?

Clint Jones not going anywhere. That's fact. I'm told he'll resign once Montagna's deal goes through.
So? He's a tagger with shocking disposal and doesn't really shut down his opponent anymore.

Ben Reid would be perfect for us, but won't come here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know Boak would not leave PA. I just think Geelong would offer him big money for him to come to the cats. Higgins, Gibbs,Hurn, Frawley and maybe Reid could leave their clubs for family, money or a new start.

I get the idea that Boak might move but I wonder about our ability to pay BIG money to a FA - given the culture we have of paying under market to everyone we have re-signed thus far - i can't see us spending big $$ on an outside FA disproportionate to the current pay scale.

Would luv to get him if it was possible...

Go Catters

I get the idea that Boak might move but I wonder about our ability to pay BIG money to a FA - given the culture we have of paying under market to everyone we have re-signed thus far - i can't see us spending big $$ on an outside FA disproportionate to the current pay scale.

Would luv to get him if it was possible...

Go Catters

Sorry to throw the thread off topic but do you write 'Go Catters' every time or have you programmed it in somehow? If you do write it every time thats some pretty awesome commitment to the 'Go Catters' cause.

Sorry to throw the thread off topic but do you write 'Go Catters' every time or have you programmed it in somehow? If you do write it every time thats some pretty awesome commitment to the 'Go Catters' cause.

5700 odd Go Catters and counting… no real reason for it but Ive probably yelled at games a bunch so it just followed and now its stuck...
Thanks for recognising it….

Go Catters!

Im only stating the obvious. We will target him. We will free up more space with big retirements.
Sam Reid is signed until end of 2016. Much disharmony at Collingwood.
So you reckon you will have plenty of cap space, when Buddy's pay increase will take up most of your 2016 retirement's cap ... who along with Tipp take up 20% of the cap between the 2 of them.

Then what happens when the AFL remove your COLA...

So you reckon you will have plenty of cap space, when Buddy's pay increase will take up most of your 2016 retirement's cap ... who along with Tipp take up 20% of the cap between the 2 of them.

Then what happens when the AFL remove your COLA...
Buddy's contract will include the cola for 9 years.
Tippett will play for far less in the 3rd & 4th years of his contract.
We will free up $1.5M when a few of our older players retire at the end of 2014. Should they have another year left in their bodies, they will play for the bare minimum in order to have one more crack at success. Something Jude Bolton chose to do in 2013.
These guys know that Buddy will help the club financially off field by being in the red & white. The leaders know only too well that someone like Buddy can get the club another 10,000 + members. Add to that the merchandise sales he will generate. Hawk supporters know only too well the off field financial benefit Buddy provided to the club.

.......................and then there is Buddy the player. Buddy, Rohan, Goodes, Jetta, Tippett......................WOW!

Nearly every player wants to play AFL to achieve the ultimate. Buddy in the red & white has increased our chances of on field success ten fold, such is the talent he brings to our already hard working list. There will be the odd bit of colateral damage to the fringe 'star' that can't get a game (Lamb), but name me a top club where that doesn't happen. That's part of the deal.
If someone like Hannebery wishes to go home, then I'm sure he will work with the club to get us the best deal possible & good luck to him. That's what this free agency is all about & if we are forced to move such a player on prematurely in order to avoid them going as a free agent, then that is a big win for us as we will get something for him.
Clubs will need to be smart & ahead of their opposition. They need to talk to their players so that both parties have an understanding of where things are at.
Hanners or Parker may have already expressed interest at wanting to go home at some point & the club may have factored this in.
Our management is one of the best, which is why we have Tippett & Buddy in the red & white.
Make no doubt, they have been two master stroke recuitments.
Only time will tell how huge a master stroke they are.

So? He's a tagger with shocking disposal and doesn't really shut down his opponent anymore.

Ben Reid would be perfect for us, but won't come here

He didn't shut down his opponent this season because his role had changed. Playing in a good side as a pure tagger again he could be very valuable.

Does anybody know much about Mundy's situation? If he was looking to come back to Vic i would hope that the Cats would make him a good offer.

Mundy's wife comes from WA, and with Fremantle in their premiership window, having cap room, him being on the Veteran's list from this year or next (can't remember) which means an extra 110k out side the salary cap I can not see him leaving.

I doubt the cats could afford to pay the extra cash needed to get the deal over the line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back