List of 2015 Free Agents (Updated list in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's laughable that people are even mentioning Rory Sloane and Tex Walker.

Any chance Cotchin might look to make a move next season with the way the Tigers are going?

Any chance Cotchin might look to make a move next season with the way the Tigers are going?

With all due respect your team and ours, I think it would be extremely difficult to lure a non-SA player to our Clubs.

In fact, history states that neither of us have been able to lure a big fish that was successful outside of SA and not bred here especially from a Victorian Club. With all due respect to Carey he was well and truly washed up as a footballer when we got him. IMO and its a late post so no player from the past jumps up towards me, but Betts was a damn good get for the Crows - "A Class" small forward.

With all due respect your team and ours, I think it would be extremely difficult to lure a non-SA player to our Clubs.

In fact, history states that neither of us have been able to lure a big fish that was successful outside of SA and not bred here especially from a Victorian Club. With all due respect to Carey he was well and truly washed up as a footballer when we got him. IMO and its a late post so no player from the past jumps up towards me, but Betts was a damn good get for the Crows - "A Class" small forward.
I'm not looking to get him to Alberton, mainly because I don't believe he would want to play in Adelaide. I'm just really curious to see if there will be a big free agent on offer next season and Cotchin would fit the bill.

I'm not looking to get him to Alberton, mainly because I don't believe he would want to play in Adelaide. I'm just really curious to see if there will be a big free agent on offer next season and Cotchin would fit the bill.
He's not coming to SA

It will be interesting to see if Port can hold their list together, as far as I know they should have everyone around for the next two years after this.

Maybe Ollie I am not sure of?

Richmond are a basket case, even last season to lose to the Blues was just embarrassing. Cotchin should go, would do really well in a good team that is well coached and surrounded by decent players.

Im surprised that Riewoldt has not left the Club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know when a decision will be made/announced on the free agency rules being changed for 2015?

Not strictly a Free Agent but Troy Menzel has re-signed at Carlton ...

Can someone explain to me why James Frawley is an unrestricted free agent?

I can't find anywhere in the AFL Free Agency rules that only the final year of a players multi year deal counts towards ranking a player in the Top 25%, yet it seems to be the accepted wisdom.

If the AFL introduced free agency laws, AFTER he signed a front ended contract that sees him in the bottom 75% in one out of 4 years - then the D's have every right to be upset that he qualifies under a rule that didn't previously exist.

surely his contract should be averaged out, to determine if he is in the Top 25% of earners?

I can't find anywhere in the AFL Free Agency rules that only the final year of a players multi year deal counts towards ranking a player in the Top 25%, yet it seems to be the accepted wisdom.

If the AFL introduced free agency laws, AFTER he signed a front ended contract that sees him in the bottom 75% in one out of 4 years - then the D's have every right to be upset that he qualifies under a rule that didn't previously exist.

surely his contract should be averaged out, to determine if he is in the Top 25% of earners?
I think the inherent logic in your post is exactly why its not true! No doubt over the last 4 years Frawley would be in our top 25%. But the frontloading and signing guys like Vince, Dawes and maybe even Clark and re-signing others seems to have put his 2014 wage under that.

Either way the restricted FA thing is a bit of dud anyway because other clubs will offer big money than you wont because they are incentivised by getting a free player. No way Sydney pay Buddy nearly as much if he had been one of their players originally, but as they get him in for nothing they pay him more.

I don't agree with the decision, but only the final year determine if you are in the top 25% of earners.

Can you point me to where this is stated anywhere in FA rules available publicly?
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/james-frawley-can-walk-away-from-demons-20140311-hvhi1.html

Frawley, who is one of the game’s most sought-after free agents this year, has surprisingly been classified as ‘‘unrestricted’’ – allowing him to go to any club, without any impediment, regardless of the money offered – because he is not ranked in the top 25 per cent for player payments at Melbourne. In effect, this means he is not one of the club’s 10 highest-paid players – despite his record and high rating within a club that has struggled.

Frawley had signed a four-year, front-loaded contract, which meant that he was paid relatively highly in the first year, 2011 – when the Demons had fewer players to pay heavily – and less in the final year. The Demons also made a ‘‘pre-payment’’ in 2010 – bringing forward money from his 2011 contract. The defender has put off contract talks with the Demons until he sees how the season unfolds and is understood to be a prospective target for a number of clubs, including Hawthorn and Richmond.

Under the AFL rules for free agency, a player is ranked according to what he is paid in the final year of his contract. Thus, Frawley is ranked outside the top 10 at Melbourne, in part because his contract tails off (or does not increase) in the last year (in line with the rising salary cap) like many of the better-paid players in their prime. He is perhaps the highest calibre player to become an unrestricted free agent in his first year of eligibility, and at just 25 years of age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back