List of Trade/Free Agency Rumours 2014 (READ OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
Former (end of) first round draft pick... Can't blame them if they try to get some sort of return for him.

But can we just agree that he's NOT a delisted free agent (technically, not yet, at least), but Melbourne are unlikely to get anything of value for him?
I would have thought a 4/5 round pick, or steak knives for a deal, ie player x for player y + blease.

The fact that it's been publicly been announced only means the club is trying to do the best thing for the player to get a fresh start through the trade period.

Whether they offer a new contract or not, at least they are trying to help & not leaving him in the cold.

Sydswans0512

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Former (end of) first round draft pick... Can't blame them if they try to get some sort of return for him.

But can we just agree that he's NOT a delisted free agent (technically, not yet, at least), but Melbourne are unlikely to get anything of value for him?
6 years in the system and hasn't cemented a spot, pick 65 sounds about right

etsal1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Only if he is delisted. Which the club may do to help him get to a club who doesn't want to give up a pick or player. But at this stage I don't believe he is delisted.

You sound like me last year :p I kept saying that about Laidler but turns out mutual decision to part ways = trade and if not will be delisted.

Frez87

Debutant
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors, Lakers
So you don't see Waite as a strange recruit for the Roos? For someone without a great knowledge of the Roos I would have thought they would have been looking to build a forward line around Brown, Black, Wood an Ziebell.

Waite makes more sense for Freo (they're in a win-now mode and Pavlich needs some help)

Demonheart

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2002
MCG, pocket, Punt rd end
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Victory, Hereford
I'm not wrong. He can walk as a delisted FA! Who cares anyway. He is s**t. His best chance is being rookie listed.
Yet another wasted 1st round pick for Melbourne

I agree he's crap but you were wrong. You said he's already been delisted which is obviously not true.

I'm not sure why you're getting so worked up about it

To get another 1st round pick. Whether that's possible alone or needs a pick upgrade thrown in. We've got a heap of developing inside mids that may not cover Armo immediately but are part of the future plan.

Getting more 1st rounders is part of the strategic plan and we don't have top many valuable assets to trade other that Armo, Steven & to a lesser extent Stanley.

Seriously - You trade out one of your best 6 players to get another first round draft pick - That is sheer lunacy - I am surprised that you believe the spin from pelchen.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
So you don't see Waite as a strange recruit for the Roos? For someone without a great knowledge of the Roos I would have thought they would have been looking to build a forward line around Brown, Black, Wood an Ziebell.

I don't see it as a strange recruit.

He'd be a best 22 player.

If he's too old, then so is Petrie, Harvey, NDS and Wells........we may as well chuck them too.

We have a small window while these players are still relevant, we may as well maximize it.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
Firstly, there is clearly a risk in terms of his age/injury history but if you put that aside, if fit and in form he's currently a better than Black and probably Brown too. Petrie/Waite with either Brown or Black. Alternatively, Petrie/Brown/Black or Waite/Brown/Black. Without Petrie who is also at some risk of dropping off or retiring, having a mature bodied forward is insurance.

Agreed that Tarrant is unlikely to get on the park much, if at all. I doubt Daw will make it as a forward. Tom Curran never made it out of the rehab room.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
North Melbourne have Grima, Black, Daws, Hansen, Thompson, Petrie, Tarrant, Garner, Delaney and Ben Brown.

They appear stacked for key position players, I am not sure why they would go for Waite unless they plan to trade some of the above players out.
"Appear" being the operative word. When you factor in age and injuries or injury history it is less stacked than it appears. Garner isn't a KPP (you may have been thinking of Tom Curran?!)

Grima only plays 60% of a season due to his back and he's 29. There is some risk he could break down in any given season. Tippett the likely replacement. Cam Delaney is young, but has suffered from toe injuries; no guarantees there. Hansen, I hope, is okay but his concussion history and now his hip I hope doesn't continue to plague him.

Petrie has one year to go on his contract and that may be it. Have you noticed his media presence increasing? And, even if he extended by a year he's currently 32. You'd have to think by the end of next year (33) he'll give it away?! Waite is a year younger, but a two year contract has him retiring same age as Drew, but a year later.

Brown and Black are the future, and add Wood to that although, as Pykie says, they do and can play up the ground a bit and are, in any case, third talls. Tarrant and Curran have chronic injury histories and both are a good chance to retire.

...why does North believe they need another forward?
See earlier posts, including by Pykie.

Surely everyone knows that if North need anything, they need another midfielder ideally with pace and brilliant skills.
No doubt we do also need such a midfielder and I assume we'd probably be going to the draft for this with Boomer and Wellsy to retire in the not-too-distant future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MJ_Dogs

Club Legend
Oct 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Spurs, Man U, Habs, Patriots, Cubs
Liam Jones (Western Bulldogs) is being chased by the Saints.

Threat of the PSD makes this one interesting.
Saints will probably offer 3rd rounder as they have said they want 3 picks inside top 21. IMO Jones is worth a 2nd rounder. Be interested to know what others think he is worth. If Saints are throwing money at him they have to be reasonable and offer a trade they think is reasonable. Offering him big money and refusing to trade for fair value with threat of PSD would be a prick of a thing to do

Last edited:

The_Sheek

Senior List
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Saints will probably offer 3rd rounder as they have said they want 3 picks inside top 21. IMO Jones is worth a 2nd rounder. Be interested to know what others think he is worth. If Saints are throwing money at him they have to be reasonable and offer a trade they think is reasonable. Offering him big money and refusing to trade for fair value with threat of PSD would be a prick of a thing to do

Cannot see the saints giving up a 2nd rounder for Liam Jones. Although they do have a some recent history in over valuing players at the trade table i.e giving up pick 12 for Tom Lee and a couple of other picks.

What about Liam Jones makes him worth a 2nd rounder? Is it that he is a KPF with 6 years in the system?

Varicho

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2008
Essendon
AFL Club
Richmond

Seriously with dogs desperate for a KPP - and Jones not being able to make it there - why would you go near him?

MJ_Dogs

Club Legend
Oct 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cannot see the saints giving up a 2nd rounder for Liam Jones. Although they do have a some recent history in over valuing players at the trade table i.e giving up pick 12 for Tom Lee and a couple of other picks.

What about Liam Jones makes him worth a 2nd rounder? Is it that he is a KPF with 6 years in the system?
Only 22 and has shown tremendous potential in a fairly poor side. Lead the league in contested marks in his 2nd season. Was great when Hall was in the side but struggles to be that main target. His consistency is the main issue with him. Watch him vs Pies this year and then against Dees 2 weeks later. He has huge potential and is only 22 with KPP taking longer to get going. But if Saints are throwing cash at him they must rate him

The_Sheek

Senior List
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Only 22 and has shown tremendous potential in a fairly poor side. Lead the league in contested marks in his 2nd season. Was great when Hall was in the side but struggles to be that main target. His consistency is the main issue with him. Watch him vs Pies this year and then against Dees 2 weeks later. He has huge potential and is only 22 with KPP taking longer to get going. But if Saints are throwing cash at him they must rate him

Questionable adjective. Joe Daniher shows tremendous potential, not Liam Jones.

He is 23yrs 6mo.

Yeh haven't seen the games you mentioned, I have definitely seen glimpses of what he can do. Was for a while there considering backing him for most goals at WB as Crameri typically doesn't kick more than 35 goals in a seasons(at least while at essendon).

Although glimpses aren't worth a 2nd rounder imo. Why not take a punt on a player in the 2nd round of the draft who you have seen glimpses of greatness in?

MJ_Dogs

Club Legend
Oct 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Questionable adjective. Joe Daniher shows tremendous potential, not Liam Jones.

He is 23yrs 6mo.

Yeh haven't seen the games you mentioned, I have definitely seen glimpses of what he can do. Was for a while there considering backing him for most goals at WB as Crameri typically doesn't kick more than 35 goals in a seasons(at least while at essendon).

Although glimpses aren't worth a 2nd rounder imo. Why not take a punt on a player in the 2nd round of the draft who you have seen glimpses of greatness in?

I rekon the guy has close to elite talent. Problem is he only shows it maybe 5-10 minutes a game. But the potential is there...not sure how potential is measured then i guess!

I agree glimpses aren't worth a 2nd rounder but then why would saints throw cash at him. Apparently what Dogs have offered and what Jones wants are miles apart.

Damo80

Premiership Player
Jul 11, 2011
Latrobe Valley
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
I agree glimpses aren't worth a 2nd rounder but then why would saints throw cash at him.
You mention a few times the Saints "throwing cash" at him... is this an assumption, or based on reliable info?

The Saints may see him as a relatively cheap option to target (trade and wage wise). He's possibly worth a 2nd round pick... But probably not the Saints 2nd rounder

Droppa Brogan

Senior List
Aug 31, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If the Saints want a free forward option, Lisle was just delisted by the Lions. Obviously not a world beater by any means,but fairly regularly kicked small bags in the NEAFL and can pinch in the ruck.

MJ_Dogs

Club Legend
Oct 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
You mention a few times the Saints "throwing cash" at him... is this an assumption, or based on reliable info?

The Saints may see him as a relatively cheap option to target (trade and wage wise). He's possibly worth a 2nd round pick... But probably not the Saints 2nd rounder
Assumption - based on the the offer we have in front of Jones and what he wants being miles apart

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't see it as a strange recruit.

He'd be a best 22 player.

If he's too old, then so is Petrie, Harvey, NDS and Wells........we may as well chuck them too.

We have a small window while these players are still relevant, we may as well maximize it.

I guess Waite could give North a genuine shot at a flag while their senior players are still capable of having an impact but surely you agree that it's a risk?

thetradesman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal, Browns, Clips, Renegades
I guess Waite could give North a genuine shot at a flag while their senior players are still capable of having an impact but surely you agree that it's a risk?

I don't see it as a big risk.

Not like there paying him huge money.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back