List Mgmt. List planning 2015 and onwards

Remove this Banner Ad

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-26...ionships-matches-begin-next-weekend.mobileapp

Daniel Rioli
16/4/97
179cm/65kg
St Marys/North Ballarat Rebels
I'm really excited about Daniel and can't wait to see him play in the championships. Daniel's got that knack of being able to play as a defender and up forward and be really smart at both ends. Two weeks ago he kicked three goals in his first TAC Cup game for the North Ballarat Rebels and turned the game. He is Cyril Rioli's cousin.

Another Rioli. Little taller than most?

Matthew Flynn
13/9/97
200cm/99kg
Narrandera/GWS academy
Matthew's a developing ruckman. There's no doubt he's going to take some time, but he has a really strong attitude, he competes hard and shows genuine courage in the contest. His agility and movement is really good in close, which is probably highlighted by his high-level basketball background in some instances. We've been using him in the ruck, but I think he could play as a key forward, and he has kicked goals for us.

Noteworthy as well maybe?

I'd heard we were legally over the cap due to being under for so long. But, Butcher & Cornes will go, both who would be on reasonable contracts and it wouldnt surprise if we trade someone like Moore or O'Shea or Broadbent, all who would be on reasonable contracts as well.
Trade Broadbent? Really?

I suppose any player is tradeable depending who is on offer, but surely not traded because he is not a fit for the club.

I'd heard we were legally over the cap due to being under for so long. But, Butcher & Cornes will go, both who would be on reasonable contracts and it wouldnt surprise if we trade someone like Moore or O'Shea or Broadbent, all who would be on reasonable contracts as well.

Have to agree, Moore and O'Shea would be playing regular AFL at another club. Broadbent is still best 22 IMO, his omission in an out of contract year doesn't bode well for his future pay cheques but I reckon he'll still be with us next year.

For me we should trade as many of the mature-aged players who are 23+. In other words trade Butcher and Mitchell, if Liam Jones can find a new club so can those two and unfortunately Moore hasn't cemented his position in any form and I'd prefer to give Colquhuon, Impey, Neade, Clurey, Amon, Ah Chee, Byrne-Jones and Austin a run. Moore is a true professional all the players always say he's never late and prepares in the same manner that Lobbe does that has got him the vice-captaincy. The problem is last year it looked like he was ready to step up then got injured in preseason and when he was about to break into the team he got injured for 6 weeks again. This year he would have come in for Wines and got suspended, if he's not cemented in our 22 by seasons end then we should trade him while he has some value. Young has shown for a couple of games he's probably ahead of Moore and being a year younger I'd keep Young. That was where it stopped for me until the last couple of weeks. But with the acquisition of Ryder it looks like we're one tall too heavy as Trengove is no longer rucking and staying in defense, therefore I think not only can we get by with 3 tall defenders but its probably our best balance so if one tall is down like Trengove is now we aren't weakened and if Carlile goes down like last year as well we can give Clurey ago if we have to so I wouldn't be too upset if O'Shea did get traded for the right price. We should use O'Shea and Moore as make-weights for Aish or a key forward we desperately need to replace Schulz.

I would personally like to see us target Jack Watts with a low pick, I know everything that is wrong with Watts comes down to a lack of any intensity, but I see so much Schulz at Richmond in him its not funny and I think Schulz could make him into the player he has become. Watts is 3cm taller than Schulz and he has kicked 77.39 in 102 games when Schulz kicked 58.41 in 71 games at Richmond. Obviously Watts could well be a lost cause as the 'He must have some talent to have been No.1 pick' line only lasts so long until a player must face they're in the Tambling basket. But we gave Mitch Farmer up to Richmond for Schulz, if we can work out a similar trade like a Pick 60-70 or Kane Mitchell for Jack Watts then I'd take the risk. I'd prefer to see Watts play 3rd or 4th tall so that we still have scoring power while Gray is in the midfield and have Watts be the one to swing into defense as loose man late in quarters rather than Westhoff and lose our whole forward structure in the process. We should target Aish as I think he could come in and have the same immediate impact as Polec last year and compete for the outside runner spot that White is struggling with at the moment. I don't know what key tall we can target but we need someone to replace our 3 talls who are over 28 yrs. old

We would still have to trade a second round pick for Watts I imagine. It's bizarre but he's a key forward that's what they bring unless he's a free agent.

If our season continues the way it's going, we could have a decentish pick in the draft.

If we have a shot at Ryan Burton... hallelujah. Kid is a gem. He's on the short side for a key forward, but makes up for it with his hands and general forward nous. No one thinks much of Darling or Stringer's height now that they're in the AFL. We've already got 4 project tall key forwards developing in the Magpies (Butcher, Shaw, Harvey, Howard) so to get a key forward type who is such a natural would be perfect for our list.

Edit: Would love Watts, but I don't think we have the pieces to get him. He was good for Melbourne on the weekend.

If our season continues the way it's going, we could have a decentish pick in the draft.

If we have a shot at Ryan Burton... hallelujah. Kid is a gem. He's on the short side for a key forward, but makes up for it with his hands and general forward nous. No one thinks much of Darling or Stringer's height now that they're in the AFL. We've already got 4 project tall key forwards developing in the Magpies (Butcher, Shaw, Harvey, Howard) so to get a key forward type who is such a natural would be perfect for our list.

Edit: Would love Watts, but I don't think we have the pieces to get him. He was good for Melbourne on the weekend.
Was he injured in a motor bike accident?

whats going on with Toumpas?
Plenty of hate for him on melbs board!
Would take an upgrade, ie toumpas and 3rd rounder for second.... seriously??
Needs to be back here but not sure what his contract status is. If he's still reasonably quick we can find a spot for him I'm certain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Toumpas was overrated by Melbourne in his draft and was probably more in the 15-25 bracket. He had a great championship, which rocketed him up the draft. Injuries, particularly hip operations, have meant he hasn't had a great run at it and has lost that yard of pace he had. He will come good though and would be surprised if Melbourne got rid of him, or, indeed, that cheaply. He is a bit like Polec but I don't think has quite the same agility/speed profile and isn't quite as good a kick, but he could certainly be a reasonable 2nd or 3rd midfield type.

Jack Watts has all the ability and athleticism but can't put it on the park. I am not sure he would be right for us, where would he play? He is probably better off going to Brisbane where he can get out of the spotlight somewhat.

The question with these two is will they be better than what we could draft with the picks needed to get them?

Are you serious with the Broadbent comment or just trying to gauge the reaction? I would have thought he is a bit like Hamish Harlett - a lock to stay at the club long term and unlikely to look elsewhere. But maybe there is a highly tradeable player there who would net us good picks and salary cap space.....

Are you serious with the Broadbent comment or just trying to gauge the reaction? I would have thought he is a bit like Hamish Harlett - a lock to stay at the club long term and unlikely to look elsewhere. But maybe there is a highly tradeable player there who would net us good picks and salary cap space.....

If (and its a big if) we are struggling for salary cap space then someone may have to give. A position we have in abundance is back flank and he would be the player that has the most trade value and would likely be on the biggest contract out of our defensive group. I wouldnt want to trade him, he's one of, if not my favourite player, but if we need to make cap space or are chasing a player type we need, then he may be someone that could end up being offered.

Toumpas was overrated by Melbourne in his draft and was probably more in the 15-25 bracket.

Toumpas was widely considered a top 3 pick for two years prior to being drafted.

I had read that his championship was what got him over the line and others, like Wines, were more highly fancied. I'll see if I can dig up the article. I guess it is all semantics now anyway, it is only in hindsight that the choice can be criticised.

Edit: no wrong player! You were right Macca.

Last edited:
On Toumpas I remember precisely that almost everybody on this board wanted him to slide to use but we inevitably got wines. Toumpas was highly rated and touted as a future captain of a club in his draft year. he hasn't presented his potential at the dees so far. maybe he is not happy there and needs a change of environment. Used as sub various amount of time.

With the carlton rebuild I don't know if its been mentioned already but what about the thought of ed Curnow as our next tagger? 182cms 84kg proven tagger can win his own ball and good tackle numbers

Toumpas would be a better get than Aish IMO. possibly not on future output but cost to potential, only problem is he has John Butcher hips.

no way trading for Curnow. yes he can tag but he cant kick. seriously we'll find one within. you just dont trade for taggers.

If (and its a big if) we are struggling for salary cap space then someone may have to give.

It does make sense we may have paid over legally - as you mention above. I'd hope though some of this involves bringing payments forward. While not foolproof, working with guys and paying them more upfront, and then having their contract drop off is one way of clearing up space.

If (and its a big if) we are struggling for salary cap space then someone may have to give. A position we have in abundance is back flank and he would be the player that has the most trade value and would likely be on the biggest contract out of our defensive group. I wouldnt want to trade him, he's one of, if not my favourite player, but if we need to make cap space or are chasing a player type we need, then he may be someone that could end up being offered.

This post falls under the '99% players are tradeable for the right deal' category :straining:.
I wouldn't trade him for any less than a well credentialed KPF.

There is a sound reason why he 'has the most trade value and would likely be on the biggest contract out of our defensive (back flanker) group'. He is easily our best performed back flanker over the last 2.5 seasons and will be at his peak over the next 5 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back