Opinion List the Top 5 Midfields

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't agree with Gold Coast and North Melbourne, would probably replace them with Collingwoodand one of Hawthorn or West Coast

Hawthorn?
You have no young prospects coming through at all. Your midfield is run by a core of 30+ year old's. Guys like Shiels, Langford, Hartung, Anderson, O'Rourke, Simpkin, Woodward, they are all C grade footballers. Only the outside runners in Smith and Hill are quality.

Gold Coast's oldest is Ablett & Rischitelli but take them out and the rest of their midfield is going to be dominant in the coming years.
Same applies to North Melbourne. Cunnington (24), Bastinac (24), Ziebell (24), Gibson (25), Garner (20) and then add Swallow (28), they are going to be solid for a good 2-3 years yet.

Hawthorn?
You have no young prospects coming through at all. Your midfield is run by a core of 30+ year old's. Guys like Shiels, Langford, Hartung, Anderson, O'Rourke, Simpkin, Woodward, they are all C grade footballers. Only the outside runners in Smith and Hill are quality.

Gold Coast's oldest is Ablett & Rischitelli but take them out and the rest of their midfield is going to be dominant in the coming years.
Same applies to North Melbourne. Cunnington (24), Bastinac (24), Ziebell (24), Gibson (25), Garner (20) and then add Swallow (28), they are going to be solid for a good 2-3 years yet.

So youve listed that group from north but youve looked over richmonds midfield?

Cotchin (25), Martin (24), Deledio (28), Edwards (27), B. Ellis (22), Grigg (27), Miles (23), McIntosh (21), Conca (23)

And thats without mentioning guys like Vlastuin (21), Lambert (24), C. Ellis (19)

So youve listed that group from north but youve looked over richmonds midfield?

Cotchin (25), Martin (24), Deledio (28), Edwards (27), B. Ellis (22), Grigg (27), Miles (23), McIntosh (21), Conca (23)

And thats without mentioning guys like Vlastuin (21), Lambert (24), C. Ellis (19)

Richmond have average ruck stocks. North Melbourne have Goldstein with Brown helping out when need be.
As for me rating North above your mob, look at Richmond's past results against the Kangaroos . . . 4 point loss, 69 point loss, 28 point loss, 35 point loss. It's been years since you have beaten them.
You will finally break that drought tomorrow night, but they've certainly helped you to do so by resting half their squad. Come the following week, you will see why I rate their midfield well above yours as they will knock you guys out of the finals in convincing fashion.

Richmond have average ruck stocks. North Melbourne have Goldstein with Brown helping out when need be.
As for me rating North above your mob, look at Richmond's past results against the Kangaroos . . . 4 point loss, 69 point loss, 28 point loss, 35 point loss. It's been years since you have beaten them.
You will finally break that drought tomorrow night, but they've certainly helped you to do so by resting half their squad. Come the following week, you will see why I rate their midfield well above yours as they will knock you guys out of the finals in convincing fashion.

Hahaha so a head to head match up proves one midfield to be better than another?

Above post seems accurate

Nice work - what happened to Dredd?

After the year you have had it's an amazing result.
Deleted my account but couldn't keep away lol

Onwards and upwards into the top 4 next year. Good luck to your mob in the finals.

Hawthorn?

What? so now you can't have a good midfield if it is old? Rubbish. dude, Shiels is definitely not a grade C midfielder.
It's like saying a comfortable chair is bad just because it was made 30 years ago.

What? so now you can't have a good midfield if it is old? Rubbish. dude, Shiels is definitely not a grade C midfielder.
It's like saying a comfortable chair is bad just because it was made 30 years ago.

I did my top five midfield's based on where I see them right now and in the next couple of years.
Hawthorn don't have a Boak, Cotchin, Ziebell, Swallow, Sloane, Parker or Cripps. They have four blokes who are moments away from retirement and as such, the engine room will take a significant hit when they leave this year (or next).

and that's why Richmond's midfield can never be rated as highly as others.

Deledio, Cotchin, Edwards, Grigg . . . they just crumble under the pressure & tempo of finals footy whereas North had a multitude of 20+ possessions from their midfield group. Cunnington and Ziebell are A graders, only going to get better.

This year it surely has to be (in no particular order) West coast, Fremantle, Sydney, Hawthorn and one of Adelaide and the Bulldogs. Probably a bit of bias here, but I personally believe West coast can have the best midfield in the comp in a year or 2, Another full season into Naitanui and he will only get even better, Priddis ages like fine wine, Shuey has become an A grader who explodes through packs and kicks plenty of goals, Yeo (when he hasn't been thrown down back to fill a hole) looks to be a future star in the mold of Fyfe and is still only 21, Gaff has become the premium wingman of the competition, Masten has a very clean disposal and gets plenty of the ball, Sheed is nothing but quality, came 3rd in the rising star this year and has a deadly accurate kick and can withstand tackles already, Duggan speaks for himself when he takes the field, a shame he injured his knee he'd have been very handy depth through the finals, almost certainly would have been one of the favourites for rising star next year had he not played 12 games already this season. Also solid midfield depth through guys like Hutchings, Rosa, with Lecras and Cripps running through when needed.

I can't see West Coast's midfield getting the better of Fremantle if both make it through to the grand final.

Just reckon Lachie Neale is a class above West Coast's youngsters coming through while Barlow & Mundy will negate any impact Priddis & Shuey have on the game. That leaves Fyfe and Hill as the two play makers, something in which West Coast simply haven't got just yet. No doubt Yeo & Gaff are class, but they aren't Fyfe or Hill.
Sandilands often has his way with Naitanui as well so that is where Fremantle have the advantage through the middle of the ground and will continue to do so until Mundy & Sandilands hang up the boots.

I can't see West Coast's midfield getting the better of Fremantle if both make it through to the grand final.

Just reckon Lachie Neale is a class above West Coast's youngsters coming through while Barlow & Mundy will negate any impact Priddis & Shuey have on the game. That leaves Fyfe and Hill as the two play makers, something in which West Coast simply haven't got just yet. No doubt Yeo & Gaff are class, but they aren't Fyfe or Hill.
Sandilands often has his way with Naitanui as well so that is where Fremantle have the advantage through the middle of the ground and will continue to do so until Mundy & Sandilands hang up the boots.

Our midfield may not have to get the best of them statistically speaking to get over them, See round 20. They beat us in just about every relevant stat, except breaking even on contested possessions, yet I don't think anyone would argue their midfield had the better of ours on the day, they were still trailing by 40 odd points at 3 quarter time and managed to make the scoreboard a bit more respectable by the end when west coast dropped off, much like last weeks game against hawthorn. We also didn't have Naitanui playing.

Even if they won clearances, inside 50s, disposals, tackles, hitouts, West coast could still beat them. The West coast mids have used the ball much better than Fremantle the 2nd half of this season. West coast score with 53% of inside 50s, fremantle do on 45%, West coast score every 12 disposals, Fremantle score every 17, and the pressure acts (which unfortunately aren't available to the public) I'm sure would favour west coast, especially in the last 10-14 weeks. West coast are less about overall raw numbers, and more about efficiency, for example the tackling against Hawthorn, we were beaten 58-89, yet I'm sure anyone who watched the game would agree West coast's tackling pressure seemed far greater due to how effective they were, they made them stick and they rarely tackled high or in the back. They also averaged slightly higher than a mark inside 50 every 3 forward 50 entries, which just goes to show the silver service the mids were delivering to the forwards.

Barlow has been well down on his usual output this year, and was subbed out early uninjured last time we met, Shuey was arguably BOG last time, Fyfe is someone we can't match IF he is at his best, which he hasn't been for almost 3 months, and has been wearing a moon boot this week so I dare say he won't return to peak form by the Grand final, Gaff has surpassed Hill this year and become the premium wingman of the competition, will be AA this year, Hill would be considered very lucky to make the final team. Sandilands does not have the dominance over Naitanui that he once had, the ruck stats from the first derby are distorted because Lycett spent a lot of time in the ruck and was comprehensively beaten by Sandi, Naitanui would have gone close to breaking even.

Fremantle's midfield may get the better of West coast's when you look at the stat sheet, but we will see who proves to be the more effective midfield come Grand final assuming they both make it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn?

Liam Shiels is definitely no C-grader. :eek: He's a tackling machine; he's one of the most prominent tacklers in the competition at the moment. He shares a record with Stephen Coniglio, Andrew Swallow, Tom Rockliff, and Gary Ablett for the third highest number of tackles in a game at 17. Matt Priddis (18) and Jude Bolton (19) are the only two players to overtake this record.

As for taking Ablett out of our midfield, we did that this year and last year and we didn't dominate at all.

link with stats: http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-hawthorn-hawks--liam-shiels

Selwood and Dangerfield is enough to have us #1 but remember we also have Duncan who is now an A-Grade too. It's also only a matter of time before Caddy becomes one.

Fyfe>>Danger
Mundy = Selwood
Neale>>Duncan
Hill>>>Motlop
Barlow>>>Caddy

Include the rucks and you fall even further behind. You are not number 1.

Fyfe>>Danger
Mundy = Selwood
Neale>>Duncan
Hill>>>Motlop
Barlow>>>Caddy

Include the rucks and you fall even further behind. You are not number 1.
Mundy isn't equal to Selwood that's some kind of sick joke. I clearly said its a matter of time before Caddy becomes an A Grader I didn't say now. Furthermore if Motlop got consistency... his best is better than Hill's as you've seen this year a couple times. I'd give Fyfe the edge. Fremantle is honestly just Nat Fyfe with glimpses of Neale every now and then.

Mundy isn't equal to Selwood that's some kind of sick joke. I clearly said its a matter of time before Caddy becomes an A Grader I didn't say now. Furthermore if Motlop got consistency... his best is better than Hill's as you've seen this year a couple times. I'd give Fyfe the edge. Fremantle is honestly just Nat Fyfe with glimpses of Neale every now and then.

So Mundy who made the AA team in 2015 was not as good as Selwood who didn't make the Squad?? Riiiiigghhhttttt...........

Mundy was better this year - i should edit my post.

Danger and possibly SSelwood. With the already Duncan Caddy JSelwood & Blicavs with Motlop and Guthrie rotating through.
Just need a ruck and we are easily top 3 no denying.

Scott Selwood?? He has not been good for a while now. There is denying it - you have lost Johnson and Stokes. Your depth is a worry.

Easily top 3?? I will deny it.

Swans, Freo, Hawks.

Ruckmen included you fall behind WCE.

Maybe top 5 or 6.

Scott Selwood?? He has not been good for a while now. There is denying it - you have lost Johnson and Stokes. Your depth is a worry.

Easily top 3?? I will deny it.

Swans, Freo, Hawks.

Ruckmen included you fall behind WCE.

Maybe top 5 or 6.
The Hawks one is a bit of a laugh. Three of their best four are gone next year. When those three are gone they're completely doomed. Shame they'll just replace Burgoyne Hodge and Mitchell with FA.
Still top 3. End.

The Hawks one is a bit of a laugh. Three of their best four are gone next year. When those three are gone they're completely doomed. Shame they'll just replace Burgoyne Hodge and Mitchell with FA.
Still top 3. End.

They are still there next year as well as Smith, Hill, Sheils and Lewis. They are better.

Kennedy, Jack, Parker, Hannebery, Mitchell are better than what the Cats have.
Fyfe, Mundy, Neale, Barlow, Hill are also better.

Might be time to take the rose coloured glasses off - there is a good reason you finished 10th.

They are still there next year as well as Smith, Hill, Sheils and Lewis. They are better.

Kennedy, Jack, Parker, Hannebery, Mitchell are better than what the Cats have.
Fyfe, Mundy, Neale, Barlow, Hill are also better.

Might be time to take the rose coloured glasses off - there is a good reason you finished 10th.
It's funny. Majority would say we're a better club than you but that's because it's true. Oh and at leasf we blood youth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back