Liverpool, the world's greatest club, in any sporting code

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure that's more do to with the fact that its Melbourne, you tend to get great crowds for most big sporting events.
It was nice of the Victory to host a club like Liverpool and share the gate. Very generous of them.

I look forward to the quality of your posting Stratton- gun if United ever fall away. If your posting while you're winning is any indication god help us all.

Pretty sure that's more do to with the fact that its Melbourne, you tend to get great crowds for most big sporting events.

People from all over Australia went to the game, nothing to do with Melbourne. 82,000 went to the game in Jakarta and now in Bangkok there's 5,000 people hanging outside their hotel.

People from all over Australia went to the game, nothing to do with Melbourne. 82,000 went to the game in Jakarta and now in Bangkok there's 5,000 people hanging outside their hotel.

More to do with the fact that people came for the novelty of watching a quality team play, Man United, Barca, Bayern and Real would've all gotten the exact same reaction. Theres nothing special about Liverpool except your history during the 80s, which is the only reason why your still relevant with most Aussie fans who jumped on during that time.

More to do with the fact that people came for the novelty of watching a quality team play, Man United, Barca, Bayern and Real would've all gotten the exact same reaction. Theres nothing special about Liverpool except your history during the 80s, which is the only reason why your still relevant with most Aussie fans who jumped on during that time.

Juventus, Olympiakos, Everton to name a few have all played in Australia in recent times, and none of them got anywhere near the reception LFC got. And I'm pretty sure I saw thousands of 18/19 year olds at the game wearing red and white scarves, none of whom were even born the last time LFC won the premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Juventus, Olympiakos, Everton to name a few have all played in Australia in recent times, and none of them got anywhere near the reception LFC got. And I'm pretty sure I saw thousands of 18/19 year olds at the game wearing red and white scarves, none of whom were even born the last time LFC won the premiership.

Plenty of bandwagoners in Melbourne mate, let's see if they hang around for the next decade while you continually miss out on CL football.

Plenty of bandwagoners in Melbourne mate, let's see if they hang around for the next decade while you continually miss out on CL football.

Redalert, look who is contradicting himself. You are always banging on about Liverpool never having won an EPL trophy and now you say that 18/19 year old LFC fans are band wagoners? LOL. What wagon have they jumped onto!

The true band wagoners are all the chelsea fans who appeared from nowhere in 2004 and any man utd fans born on or after 1981.

Redalert, look who is contradicting himself. You are always banging on about Liverpool never having won an EPL trophy and now you say that 18/19 year old LFC fans are band wagoners? LOL. What wagon have they jumped onto!

The true band wagoners are all the chelsea fans who appeared from nowhere in 2004 and any man utd fans born on or after 1981.

I don't think you understand what a bandwagoner is. Success isnt mandatory, it's people who jump on the "biggest" most popular team. For example, people who feel the need to constantly talk about how superior their team is over rivals. Liverpool and Man United and to a lesser extent Arsenal have plenty of bandwagoners.

Glory hunter onnthe other hand, don't think people could accuse younger Liverpool fans of being that.

The 2005 wagon

They jump on because Liverpool are still perceived as a major club over here even though you've been in a downward spiral for the last 5 or so seasons, don't forget these a guys who picked their clubs about 10 years ago at a time when Liverpool was still decent. Not sure if you were at the game but I was surrounded by Liverpool fans cheering Suarez even though he's screwing your club for all its worth, these are supporters who still think Stevie G is the greatest player in the Prem and that BR is the best manager in Europe. I'll be interested to see how many new fans are around after a decade of mediocrity, because the next generation of fans are going to be City, Chelsea and Man Utd supporters unless Liverpool turn things around.

They jump on because Liverpool are still perceived as a major club over here even though you've been in a downward spiral for the last 5 or so seasons, don't forget these a guys who picked their clubs about 10 years ago at a time when Liverpool was still decent. Not sure if you were at the game but I was surrounded by Liverpool fans cheering Suarez even though he's screwing your club for all its worth, these are supporters who still think Stevie G is the greatest player in the Prem and that BR is the best manager in Europe. I'll be interested to see how many new fans are around after a decade of mediocrity, because the next generation of fans are going to be City, Chelsea and Man Utd supporters unless Liverpool turn things around.

I think last night was a good start.

There is nothing "perceived" about it - it's reality. Liverpool are a major worldwide club regardless of the relative lack of recent success.

There is nothing "perceived" about it - it's reality. Liverpool are a major worldwide club regardless of the relative lack of recent success.

But how long are you going to say that way? Look at what happened to Leeds, they had a massive Australian fanbase in the late 90's but lost most of it as they lost their success.

I think last night was a good start.

It was, but a Mark Hughes-led Stoke at Anfield isn't exactly the toughest fixture in the Prem.

I don't think you understand what a bandwagoner is. Success isnt mandatory, it's people who jump on the "biggest" most popular team. For example, people who feel the need to constantly talk about how superior their team is over rivals. Liverpool and Man United and to a lesser extent Arsenal have plenty of bandwagoners.

Glory hunter onnthe other hand, don't think people could accuse younger Liverpool fans of being that.

So according to some, if you jump on Liverpool because they are a big club, even if they have had limited to no success in over a decade, you are a band wagoner? Right. So every Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon fan is a band wagoner.

IMO, if your chosen club has had limited to no success for a decade, now 2 decades, and you become the butt of alot of jokes because of it, you can hardly be accused of band wagoning.

So according to some, if you jump on Liverpool because they are a big club, even if they have had limited to no success in over a decade, you are a band wagoner? Right. So every Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon fan is a band wagoner.

IMO, if your chosen club has had limited to no success for a decade, now 2 decades, and you become the butt of alot of jokes because of it, you can hardly be accused of band wagoning.

Many Collingwood, Carlton and particularly Essendon fans are bandwagoners.They jump on board because it is the popular or trendy thing to do. Success has nothing to do with it, the term for people who only support the successful sides is a gloryhunter. Some teams have fans who are both bandwagoners and gloryhunters.

Liverpool just have bandwagoners.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back