Discussion Local clubs adopting AFL club logos

Remove this Banner Ad

What is the go with local clubs using AFL club logos as their own (once modified)? I know these are pretty common and have been around for quite a while, but I am wondering if there are legal issues at all or is any club allowed to use any logo?

Saw this one on a bag on the tram yesterday:

1130270_1_S.jpg

Waverly. Although I believe that they would have had permission from the Hawks to use it as there is a strong connection between hawthorn and waverly.
WaverlyParkHawksLogo.jpg

The West Croydon FC in the SAAFL use the Hawthorn logo too, on the club building and signs it does say that they are affiliated with the Hawthorn Football Club so maybe an element of permission is required?

With the proliferation of Photoshop and whatnot I don't get why more local clubs don't embrace the technology and produce some really good originals.

The club near where I grew up are the Hawks and have shamelessly stolen every dud logo Hawthorn has ever come up with.

With the proliferation of Photoshop and whatnot I don't get why more local clubs don't embrace the technology and produce some really good originals

I agree with this. I would like to see local clubs being more creative.

It's been happening for years. Mero explained why the AFL allow it and frankly, I don't see any problem with it.

I'd prefer to see clubs use AFL logos then those local club logos that are just sloppy and pretty much terrible.

Burnie dockers?

There are many in Tassie. I do believe that Burnie do have an official affiliation with Freo though.

Lauderdale used to be very close with Essendon for some reason. They would have puma jumpers with all the sponsors (3Mobile I think it was at that time). You never know, the seniors may have played in PIs.

There are many in Tassie. I do believe that Burnie do have an official affiliation with Freo though.

Lauderdale used to be very close with Essendon for some reason. They would have puma jumpers with all the sponsors (3Mobile I think it was at that time). You never know, the seniors may have played in PIs.

Yep you are spot on about lauderdale. When i went to tassie 2 years ago i got a lauderdale jacket it has essendon logos & 3 sponsor & lauderdale on the back

My local club's logo is unique:
276820_146046348811489_211227_n.jpg

Yeah but there are not any Dragons teams to copy.

I'm having a year off footy but the four clubs I'm looking at playing for next year, Hope Valley Demons, Modbury Hawks, Tea Tree Gully and Golden Grove Kookaburras, all have their own logos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You mentioned Modbury Hawks twice there Mr 0 ;)

My old local team used the Saints logo with a slight adjustment. Other teams used their own logos, but I'm feeling pretty lazy right now.

You mentioned Modbury Hawks twice there Mr 0 ;)

My old local team used the Saints logo with a slight adjustment. Other teams used their own logos, but I'm feeling pretty lazy right now.

Oops, meant to say Golden Grove.

Found a few Lions clones...

Eastern Lions, EFL
951717_1_S.jpg

header-22-ricky.jpg

Highfields FC, AFL Darling Downs
HIGHFIELDSFC.jpg

Hobart Tigers, TSL - briefly known as the Lions (2003)
hobartlogo01.jpg

South Morang FC, NFL
1783683_1_T.jpg

Cairns City Lions, AFL Cairns
1610926_1_O.jpg

Suncoast Lions, QSL
suncoast-lions-football-clu.jpg

Might be better to look at this on a League basis than on a Mascot basis.

Here's the NEAFL's "clones" (if you want to call them that - not a great label but for this it's fine):

TuggeranongHawkslogo.jpg

Broadbeach - not an official logo, just a WEG-style cat really
Broadbeachcats.jpg

Isn't this Wests?
LABRADORTIGERSLOGO.JPG

Morningside%20logo.jpg

Redlandlogo.gif

I know the thread is about local clubs but some of the overseas variants are really good in my opinion. Zagreb Hawks Croatia. Vietnam Swans and a Japanese Magpies team. It's pretty rife and I imagine the expats who start these clubs base the team on the Australian club they barracked for. Some seem to have an offical approved connection to the 'mother club' on some level and some appear to be just a poor photoshopped rip off.
zagreblogow100.jpg
hanoiswans.jpg
japankomazwaunimagpies.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back