Lockett, Dunstall and Ablett

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct. Ablett may have been the 3rd best full forward of the 3, but he was certainly the best footballer. Lockett and Dunstall pretty close, Lockett had the sheer intimidation factor and precedes while the Chief had more success and was more team orientated. Lockett probably gets the nod of the 2.

I hate when people compare moderns forwards to their goal tallies though, the game has changed. Buddy and Fev would have had a few tons back in the day too, it's much harder to kick 100 these days. It's not like the comp has been short of talented forwards in the last 20 years.
yeah, some things Fev did were more like Ablett. he had it on a string.

if you gave Fev Daniel Jackson's work ethic, p'raps he could have been Ablett. But if you gave Ablett Daniel Jackson's work ethic, no one would have stood side by side

3 Great Players....3 completely different players....All unstoppable on their day.

Ablett Snr for mine was the most complete attacking footballer I've seen apart from Leigh Matthews.

Lockett was a man mountain & the best full forward of the 3 of em....He was the old fashioned mark, kick, goal full forward.

Dunstall was the more team oriented player of the 3 of em....Which is why he has 4 Premierships & Lockett & Ablett Zero!

Brownlows are umpires awards, they have no bearing on how good a player is. Looks good on the resume but that is it.

He's got a bit of the Rioli syndrome about him, where his stats don't do his impact justice.

But there's no way he was greatly better than either Dunstall or Lockett.

3 Great Players....3 completely different players....All unstoppable on their day.

Ablett Snr for mine was the most complete attacking footballer I've seen apart from Leigh Matthews.

Lockett was a man mountain & the best full forward of the 3 of em....He was the old fashioned mark, kick, goal full forward.

Dunstall was the more team oriented player of the 3 of em....Which is why he has 4 Premierships & Lockett & Ablett Zero!

Yep thats the exact reason:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

yeah, some things Fev did were more like Ablett. he had it on a string.

if you gave Fev Daniel Jackson's work ethic, p'raps he could have been Ablett. But if you gave Ablett Daniel Jackson's work ethic, no one would have stood side by side
Very true. If Ablett had a decent workrate he would have been the undisputed greatest player of all time. As many talented players there has been over the years, nobody had the complete set of skills that he did, nobody. Matthews didn't have his athleticism, Carey was good on the deck but not Ablett good, his son has the skills but doesn't have the marking prowess. There's not one thing he couldn't do at an amazing level. And for excitement factor, there is certainly nobody close in my eyes.

As it stands, I still rate him as the greatest ever, but he could have been even more if that's possible.

People often mention that. But in the seasons where he did play full forward he was equal with Dunstall and Lockett, not better than.

Despite Ablett playing more up the ground, he never got close to winning a Brownlow. Lockett won one and Dunstall came runner up twice.

thats a shane woewoeful of a post

Ablett the best footballer out of the three. Lockett and Dunstall are hard to split, you can make a case for both.

Selecting a team to win a flag maybe go the team orientated player in Chief, if you select a team wanting a guy to just kick you bags of goals and see if you can get a flag go Plugger. I couldn't split them, maybe Plugger gets the nod as he had better hands above his head but then again Dunstall was just the most fluent and natural FF of them all. Dunno

People often mention that. But in the seasons where he did play full forward he was equal with Dunstall and Lockett, not better than.

Despite Ablett playing more up the ground, he never got close to winning a Brownlow. Lockett won one and Dunstall came runner up twice.

Ahhh.... yeah he did.
Several years actually.
Usually came down to suspensions or injury, but at certain times during the mid 80s he was considered the favourite/one of the top favourites for the Chas.

Ahhh.... yeah he did.
Several years actually.
Usually came down to suspensions or injury, but at certain times during the mid 80s he was considered the favourite/one of the top favourites for the Chas.

In 1984 he polled 11 votes in 15 games which left him 13 votes behind the winner. And 9 of those votes came in the second half of the season. Would never have been a favourite.

In 1985 he polled 15 votes in 20 games which left him 7 votes behind the winner. He was on 10 votes after round 7 and was leading the tally, but despite missing two games from that point on he still played 13 games and only managed 4 votes.

In 1993 he polled 13 votes in 17 games which left him 5 votes behind the winner. He missed 3 of the first 4 games which meant he was always playing catchup.

No other year did he poll more than 10.

In 1984 he polled 11 votes in 15 games which left him 13 votes behind the winner. And 9 of those votes came in the second half of the season. Would never have been a favourite.

In 1985 he polled 15 votes in 20 games which left him 7 votes behind the winner. He was on 10 votes after round 7 and was leading the tally, but despite missing two games from that point on he still played 13 games and only managed 4 votes.

In 1993 he polled 13 votes in 17 games which left him 5 votes behind the winner. He missed 3 of the first 4 games which meant he was always playing catchup.

Votes aren't always indicative of how others saw his form, through those years often he was touted as favourite or thereabouts many times (as I stated), doesn't mean he had the votes in the bank.
Maybe your post that I replied to stating he was never close to winning was incorrect, Cleary only once was he genuinely close (and if he wasn't the best player in 1993 I don't know AFL) and since we are kind of looking at it from 2 different stand points I'll just say I understand what you mean.

Why compare? They were all unbelievable champions with differing styles of game, and each one suited the needs of the clubs they played for.

It seems to have turned into it, but the thread wasn't done for a comparison, I was just throwing up some incredible stats for the three of them, that some of the younger posters on BF may not have seen before.

Their scoring strike rates were unbelievable. It was surely the golden age for forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These three are players who happened to be born at the right time, in regards to their respective attributes. Given that the modern "full ground pressure" game is still very young, it is impossible to make any kind of conclusive statement, however it is somewhat telling that we are yet to see any player of a similar style to these "goal square-planted" full forwards stamp themselves in any meaningful way. In fact, players who have managed to kick a high number of goals in said modern era are usually part of a dominant team with a game style that is fresh and hard to combat when first implements (see Buddy 08, Riewoldt 09 as examples). Fevola, perhaps, is an outlier, although most of his impact we "pre-full ground pressure" years alongside the likes of Lloyd and Gehrig.

This, of course, isn't to say that these three wouldn't have been exceptional in today's game, but it certainly isn't working in their favour; something to keep in mind when trying to make comparisons between players of different eras. For what it's worth, making "cross-era" comparisons should be based on their performance relative to their peers; it's the only true metric we have, to be honest.

As far as the question is concerned, Ablett the best of the three; Lockett if you had "Ablett-type" players already and in desperate need for the goal square plug.

One major difference i see in the era's of then and now, is that now players are expected to be good at every facet of the game and expected to plau numerous positions.

Lockett,dunstall and ablett 's sole purpose in life was to kick goals.. they didnt worry about silly things such as zones,or fitness. They kicked goals full stop.

They didnt waste their time doing "training"like working in systems etc. Life was simple. See ball.kick goal. That is why players goal kicking accuracy has diminisged because they spend less and less time practising the very skill that wins games of footy...SCORING!!!!

Fev and tex are the last 2 pure full forwards we have seen in the game and we may never see one again. Recruiters are after athletes rather than footballers.

People are constantly complaing about the level of play diminishing etc...heres a tip bus shhh dont tell anyone.....stop recruiting basket ballers,cricketers,baseballers,rugby players,water polo players,equestrian players?,nfl players or guys who are not particularly good at footy but they have a snazzy haircut and can jump high and start recruitig FOOTBALLERS!!!.

seems like everyone is trying to look in every different sport for the next big thing instead of looking within their own game!!

Fev and tex are the last 2 pure full forwards we have seen in the game and we may never see one again. Recruiters are after athletes rather than footballers.

I would suggest that Jeremy Mcgovern is the closest thing to a FF we will see in the league these days, lets hope he continues to be developed as a forward.

Ablett played only four full years as a full time full forward. He won 3 colemans and in the other year he was 32/33. when he was playing as a full forward he was beating Lockett and Dunstall as the best full forward in the comp. Dunstall may have kicked more goals in a season but he never averaged as many goals per game in a season as Ablett did. Lockett did once, but had three times as many seasons at full forward to reach it.

The only thing you're proving with those Brownlow stats is just how minnow and irrelevant that award is. I don't understand why you care so much for that necklace lol

3 absolute freaks. Would take any of them in a heartbeat but would not have traded Dunstall for either of the other two. And that is not to say he was a better player, it is just he was just the ideal player in a Hawthorn team that had Brereton doing the tough guy stuff in the forward half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back