Long term recruiting needs.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we should go after Bellchambers. Not sure what has happened with him this year but cant seem to get a game at Essendon after a good season last year.
Id persist with him as a permanent full forward, he kicked 30 goals as Essendons number 1 target down there last year while spending half the game as a ruckman.

I think we should go after Bellchambers. Not sure what has happened with him this year but cant seem to get a game at Essendon after a good season last year.
Id persist with him as a permanent full forward, he kicked 30 goals as Essendons number 1 target down there last year while spending half the game as a ruckman.

Then when Moore is entering consistant AFL footballing AGE in 4-5 years for a KPF who is going to offside him a 33 yo Cloke or 30-31 year old Reid who already gets numerous soft tissue problems?

Need to draft 2 KPF either 2 this year or Moore this year and another next with our top pick.

Its a little left of centre but at the moment GWS has 4 top ten KPF's. I honestly think that 1 of those is going to bite the bullet and leave as modern footy can't support 4 talls. I'd love it if Jon Patton came to the Pies. He is a developing player but has shown he can dominate at stages in games or an entire match. I think he would be an incredible option beside Trav Cloke and he is closer to being consistent than Moore.

I don't think our recruiting has been too bad. What we've lacked this year is bulk, speed, and skills in the midfield and the flanks especially. Insert Freeman, Scharenberg, Broomhead and Karnezis (whose performances in the VFL have swayed me) into the team at the expense of Young, Lumumba, Blair and Swan/Ball, and it's suddenly not so bad. The issue is that they're still all young and need experience/consistency. But long term, I don't see too much of a deficit.

I'm also heavily interested to see what's going on with Oxley. Think if he bulks up, he has the potential to be a real asset to the team as a HBF or a HFF.

FWIW, I see Scharenberg as a HBF/Mid with more time in the middle the older he gets. Something we see with Gibbs and Mundy. Langdon or perhaps Keeffe are my choices for a Maxwell type back line general replacement.

The injury list makes us look like we have bigger holes in the list than what we actually have.

Where we're lacking however, is tall timber. We've decided to go the band aid route with tall guys - Lynch, Hudson and White but with Gault and Marsh as low investment/expectation key position players, we need one or two class KPPs with 2/3 of our best constantly injured (Reid/Brown). Picking up Moore helps a lot, but I do think we need perhaps one more quality tall to compliment that.

A decent crumber would also be nice, but I think the ability to play midfield is key. Because we have so many small mid/fwds, we need to rotate them more than a team like say, Fremantle, to spread the wear and tear. They can afford to keep Walters and Ballantyne in the forward line most of the time because their midfield division is tall, bulky and can take/deliver heavy punishment. A team that isn't particularly tall/big like Port has Monfries, Gray and Wingard as their small forwards, but they are all capable midfielders. Hawthorn too with Bruest, Rioli and Puopolo. This isn't a coincidence. It's why I'm leery about calls to bring in Garlett who has no midfield ability or consistent workrate, despite him having speed, skill and crumbing ability that we lack.

We aren't in as bad of a position as you might expect. I just think that injuries have taken a toll, combined with some rather odd coaching/selection at times.

Last edited:
Its a little left of centre but at the moment GWS has 4 top ten KPF's. I honestly think that 1 of those is going to bite the bullet and leave as modern footy can't support 4 talls. I'd love it if Jon Patton came to the Pies. He is a developing player but has shown he can dominate at stages in games or an entire match. I think he would be an incredible option beside Trav Cloke and he is closer to being consistent than Moore.

Yeah they have excess talls but would still be asking for quite a lot to trade them out.

Better to just go to the draft for them imo.

Quick question.. If we had a choice between Boyd and Patton who would you prefer.
I really don't know much about the GWS players and thats why I ask.
Also I personally think Reid is a gun. Would you trade him for either of the two above mentioned players

Quick question.. If we had a choice between Boyd and Patton who would you prefer.
Also I personally think Reid is a gun. Would you trade him for either of the two above mentioned players
Boyd, only because Patton has had a bad run of injuries.
They have a few positives each, Boyd is 2 years older meaning you could probably get 2 extra year out of him and Patton has had great games at AFL level to basically confirm he will be a great player(Boyd hasnt played enough to confim this yet, though he was good last night).

we should trade reid for boyd....darcy moore will be CHB, need another key forward with trav!

We have enough backman with Brown/Reid/Keeffe/Frost/Marsh. Where have all these rumours with trading for Boyd/Patton come from? They will probably end up staying at GWS.
They probably will or not come to us.

Disagree that we have enough KPPs forward and back. Reid can only play in one position at a time.

1 Key defender
1 Key forward
1 ruck project
1 speedy crumber
2-3 mids with pace and outside skill

ALL of them need to have existing decent footskills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have enough backman with Brown/Reid/Keeffe/Frost/Marsh. Where have all these rumours with trading for Boyd/Patton come from? They will probably end up staying at GWS.

No rumours that I know of. It is an opinion thread asking what you think the team needs most to enhance our flag chances. I think we need a good run with injuries and someone of the calibre of Jon Patton to partner Trav Cloke on our forward line and we'll be set for the big show.

Boyd is still to raw. Yes Patton has had injuries but no major ones this year. Next year we will all be saying "how good is this kid?". I wouldn't have a clue what would be needed to sign him, but I just can't see GWS keeping that many top 10 tall forwards in the team. At least 1 will want to leave when they rarely get a game and I think Patton will be off contract soon provides what I think is the missing piece in the premiership puzzle.

Just for some interesting tidbits. Patton is contracted to GWS next season so it would be very difficult to pry him away a la D Tyson to Melbourne unless we offered something quite extreme (they offered picks 2, 20 and 72 - receiving Tyson and picks 9 and 53). However there are a couple of other players on their list that, while not making quite the same waves, have shown tremendous ability.

Adam Tomlinson (again another year to run on his contract) who is basing his game on Nick Reiwoldt and is seen as a rising talent. Also another bloke - Kristian Jaksch, who plays Key position at either end and is off contract next year and has told GWS to wait until season end to resign.

From the Gold Coast the only one coming of contract soon is Charlie Dixon. I can't see him wanting to leave the Suns as he is a Gold Coast junior.

Apart from those guys it may be a wait and see approach with the draft and our list.

I started the rumour about the GWS swap because I firmly believe one of the big forwards will leave GWS.
They Boyd,Cameron,Paton and Macarthy from last years draft not all 4 will stay. One will go

The Gold coast yep only Dixon is out of contract but could a team pry one of Day or Lynch out if the price was right ? Maybe or maybe not we will see.

The crows are already fixing in trying to pry Phil Davis out of GWS who left Adelaide to go to GWS 3 years ago looks like he is Adelaide bound next year which means that the GWS will be dying for a kp backman they will trade one of their big forwards to get a very good kp backman We have Ben Reid and Nathan brown.Melbourne could slip in and offer up Frawley to get a top player from gws to Melbourne many scenarios could eventuate.

Patton, because hes more gettable. No chance of landing Boyd. Would cost too much, likely we would be outbid.

1 Key defender
1 Key forward
1 ruck project
1 speedy crumber
2-3 mids with pace and outside skill

ALL of them need to have existing decent footskills.

Why would we need a Ruck Project when we have Witts,Grundy and Mason Cox?

Why would we need a Ruck Project when we have Witts,Grundy and Mason Cox?
If we play Witts and Grundy.. that leaves Cox as our only vfl ruckman.. I'm not going to bother including Hudson. Cox has never played an AFL game in his life so I am making a bold prediction that. 1 it is unlikely he will make it, and 2. if he does make it.. it will be many years of development from now. Also if say Witts gets a season ending injury.. we are down to Grundy and Cox as our only 2 genuine senior ruck options... if we ever have to play Hudson it is a big fail.

If we play Witts and Grundy.. that leaves Cox as our only vfl ruckman.. I'm not going to bother including Hudson. Cox has never played an AFL game in his life so I am making a bold prediction that. 1 it is unlikely he will make it, and 2. if he does make it.. it will be many years of development from now. Also if say Witts gets a season ending injury.. we are down to Grundy and Cox as our only 2 genuine senior ruck options... if we ever have to play Hudson it is a big fail.

Well Howe and Greensborugh are pour VFL Listed Ruckman.

I rather get someone who is younger then Hudson to be Back-Up the AFL.

Don’t Really want to really on a 37-38 year old

I like the idea of obtaining a package deal of Tomlinson and O'rouke from Gws.

O'rourke seems to be somewhat out of favour at Gws (although he has had injury issues) and Tomlinson is superfluous (Boyd/Patton/Cameron)

Obviously our first pick is off the table so that we can pick up Moore. So I'm not really sure what we could offer up in terms or players to satisfy make it happen

Membrey is the other one I reckon we could get into.

I'm happy with a journeyman VFL standard ruckman for some depth. We just need to hunt around for a player likely to be delisted at the end of the season. McKernan for example.

I'm happy with a journeyman VFL standard ruckman for some depth. We just need to hunt around for a player likely to be delisted at the end of the season. McKernan for example.
Yeah that too as long as he's young enough to have further development potential. I'd put him straight into Hudson's rookie spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back