Debutant
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
South Melbourne Hellas
Hi everyone,
So, I've followed the AFL all of my life, and when I was very young and could think for myself I switched from my Dad's team, Hawthorn, to Essendon, and enjoyed a good 15 years following the Dons.
So after much thought, I've decided to switch teams again, and now follow the Brisbane Lions. I've been thinking about a move for about 12 months, and (in my head) switched about half-way through the season. I'm happy to get away from all the drama, and fighting, and the media speculation (OMG) and although we're not playing finals, we had some good wins throughout the season and I'm looking forward to 2015.
For those of you who still support Essendon, that's great I'm not here to change your affiliation, the club just isn't for me anymore.

Hi everyone,
So, I've followed the AFL all of my life, and when I was very young and could think for myself I switched from my Dad's team, Hawthorn, to Essendon, and enjoyed a good 15 years following the Dons.
So after much thought, I've decided to switch teams again, and now follow the Brisbane Lions. I've been thinking about a move for about 12 months, and (in my head) switched about half-way through the season. I'm happy to get away from all the drama, and fighting, and the media speculation (OMG) and although we're not playing finals, we had some good wins throughout the season and I'm looking forward to 2015.
For those of you who still support Essendon, that's great I'm not here to change your affiliation, the club just isn't for me anymore.

Why the Lions?

Why the Lions?

A few reasons (in no order):
The club has a strong mascot
Good team colours
They're not afraid to change their guernsey, and their clash Guernsey is actually a clash Guernsey
The limited media coverage of the club here in Melbourne is nice - I'm not a fan of opinion pieces (or "Hindsight Expert" pieces)
And I've always been a fan of Michael Voss

And thanks for the kind words too, I thought I might get shouted down for my opening comment of this thread.

Almost the exact reason for my switching to the Suns at the start of the year. It's revitalised my love for football - hope you find the same thing happens for you!

Almost the exact reason for my switching to the Suns at the start of the year. It's revitalised my love for football - hope you find the same thing happens for you!
I was very close to going with the Suns after the Ablett thing but then I'd rather cut off my left nut because I'd feel like s**t for being a traitor

I was very close to going with the Suns after the Ablett thing but then I'd rather cut off my left nut because I'd feel like s**t for being a traitor
It wasn't my only reason though. I'm a local, I can finally go to more than one game a year unless I travel interstate, and I get all Suns games of free-to-air TV. Plenty of perks, but the drugs saga was the last straw for me.

It wasn't my only reason though. I'm a local, I can finally go to more than one game a year unless I travel interstate, and I get all Suns games of free-to-air TV. Plenty of perks, but the drugs saga was the last straw for me.
I agree. Good luck to them, but I'm glad I'm no longer associated with the club. I watch footy to enjoy it, not for the drama.

Also good to see you're your own person too I guess out of the shadows of your fathers team, glad I didn't follow mine I wouldn't want to picture my life being a Blue

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turncoat flogs! Both of ya!

In all seriousness good luck to yous. If you are more of a pure supporter of the AFL in general than just a die-hard supporter of a club, you might be more inclined to change. I'd never change now, been Essendon since I was born and my parents supported them, I was just always a Bomber, never was there anything otherwise. If you needed to change to feel your love for the game again that good on you. It's a shame as this is the first actual evidence I've seen of us losing supporters because of it all, but good luck to you I hope you can recapture your love of the game. :thumbsu:

A few reasons (in no order):
The club has a strong mascot
Good team colours
They're not afraid to change their guernsey, and their clash Guernsey is actually a clash Guernsey
The limited media coverage of the club here in Melbourne is nice - I'm not a fan of opinion pieces (or "Hindsight Expert" pieces)
And I've always been a fan of Michael Voss

And thanks for the kind words too, I thought I might get shouted down for my opening comment of this thread.
Sorry man, but supporting a team because of their mascot, team colours etc? Just because your former club is going through a bit of hardship at the moment with the ASADA saga seems like a pretty piss weak reason to jump ship, especially given you'd followed the Dons for 15 years. You don't sound like a very loyal supporter. Just me though.

Sorry man, but supporting a team because of their mascot, team colours etc? Just because your former club is going through a bit of hardship at the moment with the ASADA saga seems like a pretty piss weak reason to jump ship, especially given you'd followed the Dons for 15 years. You don't sound like a very loyal supporter. Just me though.
If the ASADA issue was dealt with in Feb 2013 then I may have continued to support the team, but the way it's dragged on, and the constant fighting, speculation and drama, etc etc, I'm glad to have moved on.

Being a supporter in my opinion is sticking by your club no matter what, through the highs and lows.
What happens if Brisbane get spanked again next year? Will you tire from them and join an exciting club on the rise? Port maybe?

Being a supporter in my opinion is sticking by your club no matter what, through the highs and lows.
What happens if Brisbane get spanked again next year? Will you tire from them and join an exciting club on the rise? Port maybe?
If he's gone from a top 8 club to a club struggling for wins, I doubt he's going to back out later on.

Last edited:
I disagree with that. If my team did such things as systematically cheat the salary cap or use drugs (both of which have been done by the OP's former club but not by ours), I would be very inclined to change. I am just thankful that my team has not put me in such a position.

To the OP, welcome to Bigfooty, and best of luck with the Lions in 2015.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back