Longest quarter ever?

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
not talking afl here but there was an ovens and king grand final a while back that went for about 46 minutes, cant remember who was playing i think it was greta and chiltern it might have been? but not sure, eventually i think greta got up after being 20 points down 35 minutes into the last, one greta supporter drove back home to wangaratta, got home decoded to check the radio and to his amazement the game was still going and greta were up, apparently the timekeeper said nothing went wrong with the clock and he didnt forget to press the siren, the only explantion anyones had was some kind of bermuda triangle effect came over the timekeepers box

Here's a bit more information on this that I found online. I assume it was written some time ago, otherwise John Tanner would have been 11 years old when he played in the seniors grand final!

In the last quarter of the 1954 grand final between Greta and Chiltern, umpire Alan Arvidson blew time-on so often that the final minutes seemed to drag on forever. Many spectators left the Tarrawingee oval, believing that Chiltern had won, before Greta staged a dramatic comeback. In the 44th minute, just before the siren, Greta centreman Bernie Greenwood, a primary school teacher and one of only a few non-farmers in the team, kicked a goal to put Greta eight points ahead. Greta's timekeeper, Ted Jones, and his Chiltern counterpart, Jim Lappin, explained that they were forced to take their cue from the umpire, but Chiltern's anger over the result lasted for decades. John Tanner, a defender in Greta's 1954 premiership team, who is now 71, said: "There was bad blood between Greta and Chiltern from that day on".

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
I recall a game between Freo & Saint Kilda in 2009/10, the last quarter went for 36 minutes, I think someone was stretchered off.

Also the semi final of 2011 between WCE & Carlton went for almost 36 agonizing, pain staking minutes. Almost had a heart attack that night

bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I remember the first game I ever went to at subi as a whipper snapper, qtr went for 41 minutes.......according to the ground clock

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Campbell's Creek vs. Primrose (I think), 1990. The game where Campbell's Creek scored the incredible 100 goals 34. You'd think that the quarter's would've gone for up to 50 minutes.

That Fitzroy Collingwood match from 110 years ago: I read from one source that the ball was actually in the Fitzroy forward line when the siren was blared.

I heard this match went so long that spectators had to turn their headlights on in their cars around the ground so they game could continue

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Have just finished watching the fourth quarter of the Footscray vs. St. Kilda game from Round 13, 1978, when Templeton kicked 8 goals during that final stanza. All up the quarter went for 36:55.

mianfei

Club Legend
May 10, 2009
Carlton North
AFL Club
St Kilda
The last quarter of North vs Adelaide yesterday went for 38:20.
With only 8-10 (58) kicked, that is remarkable since the record number of scoring shots in a quarter is 29 (when Hawthorn kicked 5-13 to St. Kilda’s 8-3 in that famous 1977 game with 66 shots by the Hawks) and I don’t know how long that quarter or the last when Hawthorn kicked 10-9 (69) to 5-2 (32) went??

DrummoSolo

All Australian
Feb 8, 2010
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Aston Villa
The quarter of Brisbane vs Adelaide a few weeks ago where Otten did his knee and Lynch had his neck incident went really close to 40 minutes from memory.

The quarter of Brisbane vs Adelaide a few weeks ago where Otten did his knee and Lynch had his neck incident went really close to 40 minutes from memory.
You're right, the second quarter went for 39:49.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
I'm sure there were longer quarters when they were 25 minutes but with the current 20 minutes, it has to be up there. I think the opening quarter in the Crows-Demons match in 2006 was about 37 minutes long.

This was the round 22 game from that year. Melbourne lost Clint Bartram, who injured his right ankle 10 minutes into the first quarter, and had to leave the ground on a stretcher. This delay, along with 11 goals being scored, saw the first quarter last 37:07.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
The longest I have ever seen is the 2000 qualfifying final when the Bombers smashed North.

Lloyd kicked his 100th for the year in the last (i think?) quarter and it took forever to get everybody off the ground that run on to celebrate.

According to the Herald-Sun write up of the match:

"...the ruthless Bombers piled on six more goals in an epic final term, which stretched 34 minutes to accommodate the crowd invasion which followed Lloyd's 100th."

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
I remember a quarter going over 40 minutes between Richmond and Fremantle at Subiaco or possibly could have been the last game at the WACA. Richmond won by 5 points after a bad freo kick in to the shortest player on the ground in Ben Hollands (not Holland) who converted. I remember leading at about the 30 min mark and thinking it was over at that stage then freo hit the lead and then still after that the aforementioned kick in and goal.

According to the Herald-Sun, Hollands kicked this particular goal at the 33 minute mark.

Dec 18, 2013
Leaning against the boundary fence
AFL Club
Carlton

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Was browsing through some old microfilm of The Herald the other day and found a match report which stated the third quarter between Carlton and Footscray from round 1, 1989 at Princes Park ran for 38 minutes, 58 seconds. This is the new longest third quarter mentioned so far.

workhorse

Premiership Player
Nov 13, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Not AFL but I remember boundary umpiring a Reserves game at Bundoora who were top of the ladder playing bottom placed Thomastown? kicking with a gale in the last. Kicked about 15 goals, most of which ended up in the yard of a house next to the oval. Last qtr went for over 45 minutes IIRC (at least that's what the goal ump told me)

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Have recently been browsing through my copy of Cats Tales. For the round 16, 1948 game against Footscray, the book produces an excerpt form the Geelong Advertiser which states there was 11:05 time on for the first quarter, 13:46 for the second, 11:40 for the third and 8:08 for the fourth, a total of 44:39 for the game. This means the second quarter would have been the longest, clocking up 38 minutes and 46 seconds.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
The Swans/Cats 1993 game (where Osborne was taken off in an ambulance) is up on YouTube in full and by my count the final quarter goes for 41:30. Going by the responses in this thread that's the longest documented VFL/AFL quarter.

The ironic thing about this game was that Osborne, suffering his collision in a game against Geelong, was cleared of any serious brain injuries after having a CAT scan.

brad5668

Cancelled
Aug 11, 2009
Ellenbrook
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Armadale
The last quarter of the 2010 WAFL Grand Final between Swan Districts and Claremont went for 35 minutes and 6 seconds.

Back