Looking to play next year with no previous experience

Remove this Banner Ad

Fitted in nicely, the boys where pretty friendly and encouraging which was nice seeing how i lagged behind considerably! went for a run around the lake and ended up ways behind although someone stayed back with me which was good

I'm thinking to play with a friend in Melbourne pub league, which hopefully isn't too physical. I've never played except for kick to kick. I can kick ok on both feet but not on the run, can't catch it to save my life and I'm a bit uncoordinated. Fitness and strength I'm not worried about but I'm slow. The biggest concern is that I reckon I'm pretty soft and don't want to get hurt. Don't care bout being labelled soft peaheart etc, because essentially its just I want to avoid injuries and pain as its not worth it. I'm not paid to play and don't have medical expenses covered.

Have the ball in your hands ALL the time.
I used to chip kick and handball to myself every chance I got.
Becomes second nature handling the ball.
I used to try to emulate repeat attack on the ball. Go down the park and start jogging whilst bouncing the ball. I would kick as high as a I could in front of me and sprint to get to the drop. Rinse and repeat whilst mixing it up with running at full pace and tapping the ball out in front of you without picking it up. Just keep moving for as long as you can hack it.

Here's a question.

I probably wanna play a sport again next year.

I usually opt for soccer because they have bayside league. You train once per week for 90 minutes and if you turn up hungover to play on sunday nobody really cares as long as you put the effort in.

Is there a footy equivalent to this? Wouldn't really be keen on playing AFL 9s or indoor.

C Grade of the lowest division closest to you would work mate. Had a few years out of sport and came straight back into Div 1 C grade without an issue. Almost died fitness wise but oh well.

If we were more metro I'm sure playing in a Div 4 C grade team would be more chill, as long as you turn up to games and try your hardest.

Here's a question.

I probably wanna play a sport again next year.

I usually opt for soccer because they have bayside league. You train once per week for 90 minutes and if you turn up hungover to play on sunday nobody really cares as long as you put the effort in.

Is there a footy equivalent to this? Wouldn't really be keen on playing AFL 9s or indoor.
Any thirds team
Any clubbies team
Div 4 ammos

cerebus have a team in the 3rds but it's closer to a div 3 senior team!
Depends on the week really. I used to play southern. It's all about who is on base

DT - donlt they go off base about now? i was talking to the preso easlier this yr and i thought he said we smash em during the season but don't have that team come the finals? still might be a string team but not their best team?

mccuzzy - it's quite a drive from anywhere and thank god i don't play 3rds!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DT - donlt they go off base about now? i was talking to the preso easlier this yr and i thought he said we smash em during the season but don't have that team come the finals? still might be a string team but not their best team?

mccuzzy - it's quite a drive from anywhere and thank god i don't play 3rds!
No idea. Know I played them twice in my first year playing footy. Once they smashed us, once we got up. They had some ex Carlton rookie there too

Giving this a bump. Some great advice and words of encouragement here.

Bit of background on me. I'm English and 29. Been living in Australia for about a year and a half now and have fallen for footy since being here. Would love to give playing it ago but my age and the fact I haven't grown up with the sport really put me off it. I grew up watching and playing soccer, played it until my early teens. Pretty much stopped playing any sports until my mid 20s when I took up running, got to a reasonable level of fitness. That's dropped off massively since moving to Australia, all this sun & beer have taken it's toll on me.

I'm not the biggest guy, about 5ft 6/7. Unsure of where I'd be able to play on the field. Anyway I've found a few clubs near me that have started their preseason, I just need to get my confidence up and join in a session. Just feels very daunting.

Any advice on skills/fitness training? Is it worth joining a team now or work on my fitness and skills untill next season?

Bit of background on me. I'm English and 29. Been living in Australia for about a year and a half now and have fallen for footy since being here. Would love to give playing it ago but my age and the fact I haven't grown up with the sport really put me off it. I grew up watching and playing soccer, played it until my early teens. Pretty much stopped playing any sports until my mid 20s when I took up running, got to a reasonable level of fitness. That's dropped off massively since moving to Australia, all this sun & beer have taken it's toll on me.

I'm not the biggest guy, about 5ft 6/7. Unsure of where I'd be able to play on the field. Anyway I've found a few clubs near me that have started their preseason, I just need to get my confidence up and join in a session. Just feels very daunting.

Any advice on skills/fitness training? Is it worth joining a team now or work on my fitness and skills untill next season?
Mate jump in. Best way to acclimatise yourself is by getting involved, you'll build your skills and fitness up a lot quicker in the group than figuring it out yourself. I get that it's a bit daunting showing up but it'll be nowhere near as bad as you think it will be, footy clubs are quite welcoming as a whole.

I started playing when I was 22 and haven't looked back since. I was very overweight and had never held a footy in my life.

Fast forward 3 years later and last season I played a few senior games for a division 1 club. Just do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back