Club Legend
Oct 9, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Indiana Pacers
In a bit of a pickle at the moment.
In the last 3-4 years I've managed to pick up a few speeding fines, which then got me to 12 demerit points, so i was issued with an option letter in December last year.
The options were to either take the whack and lose my license for 3 months, or go on 12 months "good behavior".
Unfortunately, last week i was caught failing to obey a stop sign. I didn't fly through the stop sign or anything, slow right down, but didn't come to a complete stop.... Despite me pleading with the copper to let me off with a warning, he issued me with an infringement notice...GREAT!
$289 fine and three demerit points.
So according to my option letter i will be looking at losing my license for 6 months.
I have spoken to a traffic lawyer and organised to meet with him to discuss my options.
I'm not planning on contesting the infringement, as I have no grounds to appeal it.
But from what I've read, there is a possibility Vic Roads will allow me to extend my demerit point period.
Losing my license would be a major pain in my a$$, and make it difficult for me to get to work due to a lack of public transport options.
Also, losing my freedom of travel would be undesirable.
Anyone out there been through a similar situation, and managed to escape losing their license?

Where's nicky when you need her?

Move to Perth. We have this pathetic system where you can drive like a campaigner then go and give the court some bullshit sob story about how unfair it all is and they give you an "extraordinary" licence to make sure your punishment for being a ******** on the road doesn't actually inconvenience you in any way.

I understand that there needs to be a punishment, but i still can't bring myself to accept losing my license.
All my offences have been minor in nature, just so happens I've been caught consistently over a 3-4 year period.
If OJ can get away with murder, i can at least try to get away with my offence.
Would the Chewbacca defence work?

You're speeding and going through stop signs in a vehicle that can cause fatalities. It seems you're not taking your responsibility as a driver seriously and should use the next six months catching PT to consider how you can become a more responsible driver.

Slow down and obey traffic signs, you're driving a death trap ya'll.

0KDWZUK.gif

Srs.

It's incredibly difficult to actually lose your license. They give you so many chances: Victoria doesn't even have double demerits during peak holiday driving periods, so for most infringements you actually have to offend four times (three per offence) and even then, they give you a good behaviour bond.

Enjoy public transport.

You're speeding and going through stop signs in a vehicle that can cause fatalities. It seems you're not taking your responsibility as a driver seriously and should use the next six months catching PT to consider how you can become a more responsible driver.

Slow down and obey traffic signs, you're driving a death trap ya'll.

Nicky, were you not the same poster who made a topic about getting fined for jaywalking ;)
I agree, doesn't mean I will take that advice.
IMO, doing 10 km/h over the speed limit on a straight country road in daylight/dry conditions is unlikely to cause an accident, but that's another discussion.
Yes i did run a stop sign, however, i didn't endanger anyone's life. I slowed down to around 10-15 km/h but didn't come to complete stop. I treated the intersection much like i would a give way.

I have always said " No card is going to hold me back from driving " and I stand by that

I would say cop the 3 months. It's not that long and it may make you appreciate the privilege you've been given. Judging by your history, if you go on the 12 month good behaviour thingy, you'll almost certainly * up again and end up far worse off again.

Also...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would say cop the 3 months. It's not that long and it may make you appreciate the privilege you've been given. Judging by your history, if you go on the 12 month good behaviour thingy, you'll almost certainly **** up again and end up far worse off again.

Also...

I don't have the option to take 3 months, i believe my punishment would be 6 months.
When i received an option letter in December i could have taken 3 months license suspension but decided against it.
Taking public transport would make my commute to work extremely difficult.
I'd have to walk/ride to nearest station which is a good 5 km away from home.
Take 30-40 min train ride to nearest station from work.
Walk another 5+ kms to work.
Rinse and repeat.
Not looking forward to it

Nicky, were you not the same poster who made a topic about getting fined for jaywalking ;)
I agree, doesn't mean I will take that advice.
IMO, doing 10 km/h over the speed limit on a straight country road in daylight/dry conditions is unlikely to cause an accident, but that's another discussion.
Yes i did run a stop sign, however, i didn't endanger anyone's life. I slowed down to around 10-15 km/h but didn't come to complete stop. I treated the intersection much like i would a give way.

Yes that's me.

More responsibility comes with driving a car around as it should.

I empathise with you. My brother was in a similar situation as you last year (lost points twice for being caught without a seatbelt as he was pulling out of a parking spot and about to put it on.

I stand by what i said though, that if you keep getting stung for being over the speed limit then just slow down. To do that you're going to have to do some work to change your mentality about getting from a to b. :)

Last edited:
I don't have the option to take 3 months, i believe my punishment would be 6 months.
When i received an option letter in December i could have taken 3 months license suspension but decided against it.
Rinse and repeat.

What is the punishment if you commit an offence during the 12mnth good behaviour thingy?

Yes that's me.

I empathise with you. My brother was in a similar situation as you last year (lost points twice for being caught without a seatbelt as he was pulling out of a parking spot and about to put it on.

I stand by what i said though, that if you keep getting stung for being over the speed limit then just slow down. To do that you're going to have to do some work to change your mentality about getting from a to b. :)

I actually have changed my mentality when it comes to my speed.
Before i was hit with the good behaviour, i would almost always speed at every opportunity.
But now i don't.
I am so focused on my speed that i managed to miss the stop sign. The area i was booked in, went from 100 - 60 - 40 for a school zone. Then it had a quick left then right turn. I was distracted.
No excuse.
Just hoping i can have another chance to prove im a good boy

Strong reading comprehension.

Shouldn't be trying to read a thread whilst getting ready for work, hey. :p

At least I can comprehend the word "Stop" though... ;)

s**t mentality, imo.

You step on the road and you're just as responsible as the driver is. I got hit by a car in '07 because I was jaywalking, weaving through stopped traffic and didn't see a car pushing it to make the right turn green light. Saw it out of the corner of my eye in the last possible second, managed to get my hands and body up onto the bonnet, smashed the windscreen to pieces, and walked away. The driver was shaken up, I was shaken up, but I was in the wrong. I accepted that and was lucky they didn't want me to cover the damage to their car.

So incredibly lucky it was a Tarago with a soft, sloping bonnet. I sometimes get a bit shaky when I see cars with long, high square bonnets and think how lucky it was that I didn't smash my hip against that.

Rinse and repeat.

I sometimes take a 20km bicycle ride to work, it's great! I feel good all day and get fitter without realising.

s**t mentality, imo.

You step on the road and you're just as responsible as the driver is. I got hit by a car in '07 because I was jaywalking, weaving through stopped traffic and didn't see a car pushing it to make the right turn green light. Saw it out of the corner of my eye in the last possible second, managed to get my hands and body up onto the bonnet, smashed the windscreen to pieces, and walked away. The driver was shaken up, I was shaken up, but I was in the wrong. I accepted that and was lucky they didn't want me to cover the damage to their car.

So incredibly lucky it was a Tarago with a soft, sloping bonnet. I sometimes get a bit shaky when I see cars with long, high square bonnets and think how lucky it was that I didn't smash my hip against that.

wat

Imagine you were driving a 2 tonne death machine and you smashed into that car. I think there is definitely more responsibility required when you are driving a car. If it's just yiu, walking, weaving through traffic, the only person who is going to be harmed from this is you (physically harmed). Driving a car however, you could kill multiple people very very easily.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

wat

Imagine you were driving a 2 tonne death machine and you smashed into that car. I think there is definitely more responsibility required when you are driving a car. If it's just yiu, walking, weaving through traffic, the only person who is going to be harmed from this is you (physically harmed). Driving a car however, you could kill multiple people very very easily.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thats pretty selfish. You might not harm someone if they hit you but you can leave them fairly traumatised. Not to mention damage their cars, and even hurt themselves if they swerve to avoid you. People with your mentality are the reason why there are always knob-ends in Vic Park shopping centre carpark who come sprinting out onto the road with bags of groceries without checking if there's a car coming.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back