losing weight

Remove this Banner Ad

I was referring to, specifically, processed foods that market themselves as "low fat", like low fat yoghurt etc.

Your issue there is really with processed foods, not low fat foods. That and marketing/food labelling and how little the average Aussie really knows about nutrition.

All other things being equal, a yoghurt with less fat is going to be more beneficial to weight loss than an equivalent with more. Sure, if the low fat option has been heavily processed, is full of sugar etc. then it's not an apples and apples comparison but I've never heard of anyone losing weight by eating more fat.

Your issue there is really with processed foods, not low fat foods. That and marketing/food labelling and how little the average Aussie really knows about nutrition.

All other things being equal, a yoghurt with less fat is going to be more beneficial to weight loss than an equivalent with more. Sure, if the low fat option has been heavily processed, is full of sugar etc. then it's not an apples and apples comparison but I've never heard of anyone losing weight by eating more fat.

Well you don't know the right people then. A high fat diet supports weight loss. Control your insulin with a high fat and low carb diet and you will lose weight.

Fat doesn't make you fat, sugar, starch and refined carbs do.

Check out the contents of any low fat yogurt, they ALL have added sugar. And that goes for all processed food that markets itself as low fat.

http://m.theage.com.au/lifestyle/di...ed-to-warn-us-about-sugar-20140212-32h03.html

I've lost nearly 10 kilos since new years. All I've changed is cutting out sugary drinks completely and not binging on junk food. I don't even work out, though I do a fair bit of walking. I want to start going to the gym though, might as well pack on some muscle.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

images

Funnily enough, that was the last thought that went through this guy's head:

douglas-adams-1952.jpg

I've lost nearly 10 kilos since new years. All I've changed is cutting out sugary drinks completely and not binging on junk food. I don't even work out, though I do a fair bit of walking. I want to start going to the gym though, might as well pack on some muscle.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
I'm going to do this, 2 years ago I lost 20 kg just but cutting out soft drink and saturated fats.

...... they don't make you fat, you're cutting out good saturated fats for no good reason. Also, they're very good for you.

From my extremely limited knowledge of fats, i always though saturated fats was bad for your cholesterol levels, but the mono and poly unsaturated fats found in nuts etc was good for you.

From my extremely limited knowledge of fats, i always though saturated fats was bad for your cholesterol levels, but the mono and poly unsaturated fats found in nuts etc was good for you.

Yes that is based on bad science, i.e. Ancel Keys took data for 25 countries trying to prove a link between heart disease and saturated fat. The findings were all over the graph so no correlation was made - so he then used the data from only 7 countries and excluded the countries that stuffed up his correlation.

Read the article on Yudkin i posted earlier in this thread. And if you want to find out more about how the rubbish about saturated fats started (and food/health/pharma industries & lobby groups have run with it) then read this article http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...ience-behind-lowering-cholesterol-levels.aspx

I've lost weight by upping my saturated fat. I've had my blood/cholesterol etc tested and my "good cholesterol" was extremely high and my "bad cholesterol" was normal. The nurse told me to keep doing what i'm doing then handed me a broshure which told me to do the opposite of what i'm doing. Anyway, luckily i back my understanding on nutrition over the average medical health professional :) Also, most of your cholesterol is made in your body and the food you eat doesn't have much of a bearing on it. But even if it did that doesn't really matter because cholesterol is not the cause of heart disease, inflammation is, and saturated fat isn't the culprit that causes inflammation.

Here is a great blog by a doctor in Sweden.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I gotta lose weigh and hav tried diets etc and I just dont stick to them. My doctor offered to write me a prescription for some diet pills and I said I would think about it. Has anyone tried these and what are your thoughts?

Good or bad?

I wish I read this board more often - I actually have some knowledge and helpful advice on this!

I reckon the drug your doctor is talking about is Duromine. It's not a "diet pill" as such - it's an appetite suppressant. And to be really frank? For all intents and purposes, it's legalised speed.

It messes with your body and your mind. With the impact of pain killers and lifestyle, I go through intense periods of insomnia anyway - but the Duromine, even taken at 6am in the morning, would keep me awake for nights at a time. I'd go 2 nights without sleeping, I'd get 2 hours on the third night, then I wouldn't sleep again. I would occasionally smoke weed recreationally - I don't any more, because after my first month on duromine, I was literally having to smoke every night to be able to sleep. And even then it would only work a couple of nights a week, despite the fact that I was specifically shopping for weed that would help me sleep.

So if I'm talking about the same drug as your doctor, there are definitely side effects.

BUT - if you have a different lifestyle and if you don't have these sleeping issues, the good thing is that it definitely works.

It works because obviously you physically can't eat as much. That feeling of being full onsets much quicker, so you eat less, which results in your stomach shrinking - our bodies will actually shrink your stomach quite quickly.

When your stomach has shrunk, it makes it much easier to change habits.

Which brings me to the next point - the best point made in this thread is that the secret to losing weight isn't endless fad diets. And it's certainly not eating whatever you want because you do lots of exercise. I read somewhere that about 80% of an individuals health is down to eating, and only 20% is exercise.

The "secret" to weight loss is about changing your habits.

I ended up using the Tony Ferguson program. It worked well with the drugs because I could have a shake for breakfast, an apple for morning tea, a protein bar for lunch, some yoghurt or some nuts in the afternoon, then a cooked, albeit pretty small dinner.

This program isn't the be-all and end-all. And if you're on it 6 months later, I don't think you're doing it right. For me, the reason it worked was because it taught me better habits. While I was learning these habits, I was figuring out that I knew absolutely nothing about health and nutrition and needed to learn it.

But as I say, it worked - it gave me recipes and helped my understand why they were good. In following the recipes it taught me about portion sizes. In shopping for and cooking these recipes, it taught me that eating healthily isn't as expensive or time consuming as I'd always told myself it was.

After about 12 months I'd lost a tick over 50kgs.

Unfortunately my injury flared up again, and I had some other shitty stuff going on, and I put about 12kgs of it back on again... but I'm working on it. It's really just a matter of getting back into those good habits.

It's not always easy, but I think one of the other important things is mindset. I haven't "failed" my "diet" in putting weight back on - I've had a temporary lapse into bad habits that are not in line with the new lifestyle I've created over the last 15 months or so.

This is certainly a no "big fix" solution but for those that train and still want to lose weight, ALCAR serves several purposes.

Bought a kilo some time back and appetite is down, training feels better (but that may be placebo effect) and mind seems a little clearer.

Not advocating it because I haven't been on it long enough but it may just work for the suitable person.

Exactly, and what would the differential be if you ate 2000 cal of donuts, deep fried dimmies and coke, as apposed to broccoli, pork and coconut water for two months.

In fairness I didn't mention body composition and my point should be taken with common sense. Obviously whole foods have essential vitamins and minerals plus fibre.

Personally I count my macronutrients as I've found it let's me enjoy the way I eat and it's precise. Once I've hit my goals I can fill out my days allowance with foods I enjoy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back