LCHF- Low Carb / High-Healthy Fat lifestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

any runners in this thread?
got my first long run since going lchf coming up (32k, the last 12 at max effort) and was wondering what to take for fuel.
normally i'd carb load and take a gel and a handful of jelly-babies with me but thats out the question now.

all suggestions welcome

My understanding is carbs are fine for this sort of exercise. Your body isn't able to breakdown fats or proteins quickly enough to fuel your muscles.

Coles are selling Lard at $2.50 for 500g if anyone is looking for a cheaper frying oil that makes food taste wonderful

any runners in this thread?
got my first long run since going lchf coming up (32k, the last 12 at max effort) and was wondering what to take for fuel.
normally i'd carb load and take a gel and a handful of jelly-babies with me but thats out the question now.

all suggestions welcome

bengreenfieldfitness.com is a good site to answer your questions.

Ben is a triathlete who competes while on a Keto diet.

I am undertaking my first 3 day fat fast starting today. I will keep folks in here up to date daily on what I have eaten and let you know the results on the weekend. Basically I want to break my plateau and increase my blood ketone levels. This involves eating 1250 calories a day (250 x 5 meals). With 90% of calories coming from fat. I will be eating lots of BP coffee, cream, egg yolk, cheese, mayo, avocado, dark chocolate and macadamia nuts.

upload_2014-3-26_16-20-5.png
Blood ketone result in the afternoon was 1.1, I will be looking to get that to 2.5 by Saturday

Blood ketone result in the afternoon was 1.1, I will be looking to get that to 2.5 by Saturday
Nice effort, but jesus you wouldn't be hitting even half of my daily calorie intake :eek:

upload_2014-3-27_19-27-44.png

Afternoon blood ketone levels today reached 2.3. I am extremely happy and look forward to finishing up tomorrow with a hearty LCHF dinner. Had a bit of brain fuzz today and was a lot more thirsty than usual. In terms of meeting all my micronutrients, I doubt I would have been but it is only a 3 day fat fast. I have been taking some BCAA daily with salt and lemon juice in water as a hydration/muscle preserver.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 48723

Afternoon blood ketone levels today reached 2.3. I am extremely happy and look forward to finishing up tomorrow with a hearty LCHF dinner. Had a bit of brain fuzz today and was a lot more thirsty than usual. In terms of meeting all my micronutrients, I doubt I would have been but it is only a 3 day fat fast. I have been taking some BCAA daily with salt and lemon juice in water as a hydration/muscle preserver.

Salt is very important, that's why a lot struggle in ketosis cos they lack salt which is lost when not consuming carbs, especially processed carbs.

View attachment 48723

I.. just can't come to grips with this... I know that I probably don't; need to post in here because I can't say too much constructive but I just would have to say... ugh..

How does that dinner look on a plate? Or is it blended or what?

I.. just can't come to grips with this... I know that I probably don't; need to post in here because I can't say too much constructive but I just would have to say... ugh..

How does that dinner look on a plate? Or is it blended or what?

its asparagus covered in cheese and butter so im assuming thats exactly what it looks like. i have no idea why you'd want to blend it...too much butter maybe? i dont know, i dont measure things.

to me thats a snack not a meal but its still tasty and its only temporary to achieve a very short term goal.

I used the asparagus as a way to ingest the fat I required on the fat fast. The asparagus provided me some other nutrients and fibre, but made eating 20g of butter and the mozzarella more interesting to eat than just eating on its own. Anyway the fast is over now. I stopped yesterday afternoon due to dinner party I was invited to and couldn't give up a sensational squid and steak feed with a few big head beers.

I was never hungry whilst on the fat fast. It was a bit boring in terms of what I could eat and the little amount I could eat. Did it help, yes. I would try this every three months or so to keep my body and metabolism guessing.

I need answers!!!!

If the carbs in the honey & chocolate are still under your Keto limit then no they won't knock you out of ketosis, same with any type of carb on a Keto diet.
I'd add some mct oil with the honey , the MCT oil will stimulate your body to still release ketones even while ingesting sugar.
Some doe this before bed as a nightly ritual.

Have you guys read Tim Noakes 'Real Meal Revolution'? Is it worth the read, and use scientific information and quality research?
i havent seen it yet but my understanding is that its more of a cookbook than a research paper. (unlike Lore of Running and other Noakes books)
i think theres some basic info on LCHF lifestyle but most of it is recipes.

its not available in Australia yet and the only place shipping international orders is Kalahari.com
think i'll just wait till they get a distributor over here.

this is an interesting old interview between Atkins and McDougall(a famous pro vegetarian diet guy). Its posted to make fun of Atkins - the photshopped pic of Atkins is bit of a giveaway :D - but with what we now know in my opinion he comes off sounding pretty much spot on. Particularly his condemnation of the corrupt synergy between food and health industres .

Todays keto reading.
13659227604_6460e10a7b_m.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back