LCHF- Low Carb / High-Healthy Fat lifestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

what could I add to raw macadamias (other than salt) to add a bit of a different flavour?

also out of curiosity, how often do you guys 'cheat' with your eating if you ever do? like buying a burger or a pizza.

You learn to make replicas of cheat meals/junk foods.
Nothing can't be replicated, every thing has a substitute.
Actually the longer I've gone with out eating a pizza etc the more I don't want to eat one even though it won't effect my physique or fitness I just don't see the point when I can eat something a lot healthier.
I understand the convenience factor plays a role but that's the Beauty of fasting, if the right food isn't accessible then you just fast for a bit longer.
Will power!

what could I add to raw macadamias (other than salt) to add a bit of a different flavour?

also out of curiosity, how often do you guys 'cheat' with your eating if you ever do? like buying a burger or a pizza.
Not quite once a week, probably more like one meal in every 10 days.

I'm far from LCHF, but eat a cheat meal every saturday night after footy :D

Okay...my question was to those who do 'cheat'
Pretty much once per week - laksa.

If I'm going out with people for dinner I'll eat what I want - I want a lifestyle that makes me happy and if there is a carb component, I just call it a refeed and be done with it ;)

Pretty much once per week - laksa.

If I'm going out with people for dinner I'll eat what I want - I want a lifestyle that makes me happy and if there is a carb component, I just call it a refeed and be done with it ;)

Agree with this method - healthy eating is important, but it doesn't have to compromise your social life.

Just bought a bottle of macadamia oil to drench on my salads instead of olive oil and loving the taste!

Also, just ordered some super greens (ORAC energy greens) to take daily and was just wondering if it breaks the fast?
For people who take greens, do you guys have it with your bacons and eggs? or with BP coffee for IF people?

It's when you randomly go into health food stores to tell the people working there that their products aren't healthy :D

Edit: I have another question, I've grown to love 70%+ dark chocolate, but how much is too much?
the Lindt 70% i have is still 33g of carbs per 100 or 13 grams per 2 piece serving so i'd say enjoy sparingly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just bought a bottle of macadamia oil to drench on my salads instead of olive oil and loving the taste!

Also, just ordered some super greens (ORAC energy greens) to take daily and was just wondering if it breaks the fast?
For people who take greens, do you guys have it with your bacons and eggs? or with BP coffee for IF people?

I just mix with water and have it when i first get to work around 7am. They do have a low amount of calories and i assume would technically break the fast.

I went to Macca's yesterday and ordered a long black with whipped cream. A woman next to me said, "That looks nice, too many calories though". Meanwhile she had ordered a flat white and a piece of cake.

I rarely cheat and if I do it's noodles or something like that.

I mix my greens up in a NutriBullet and drink them.

Last edited:
I went to Macca's yesterday and ordered a long black with whipped cream. A woman next to me said, "That looks nice, too many calories though". Meanwhile she had ordered a flat white and a piece of cake.
Yeah I like to take advice from people who eat a combination of sugar, margarine and preservatives too - FFS McDonalds cake

Reminds me of something I saw the other day.

1926741_10152138149868842_6600366845985022375_n.jpg

I think most people have realised that Port Adelaide are the AFL team that has implemented low-carb high-fat with great results last season but this Twitter conversation is the first time I've seen it discussed in detail by high performance manager Darren Burgess:

It shows you how the media follows each other given the ongoing coverage of Port's heat training and yet very little discussion about this massive dietary change. As most would know, Port went from being one of the worst fourth quarter teams in 2012 to one of the best in 2013 (winning the most fourth quarters behind only Hawthorn). A few key points from the Twitter discussion:
  • Some of the Port players were on no carbs during the pre-season but cycled quality carbs in season (which tallies with the small excerpt in Peter Brukner's talk where he refers to an unnamed AFL team which was Port).
  • Burgess is on the diet and limits his carbs to 150 grams a day and more on training days (which is definitely at the upper end).
  • He agrees that the amount of carbs needed for athletes has probably been overrated.
  • Port's strength coach and nutritionist Andrew Rondinelli says periodisation (of carbs) is the key with athletes, adjusted to training/game schedule.
A few months ago I spoke to Kane Cornes, who is still an endurance machine and wins the 3km time trial in a team of renowned runners, and asked him about his own fat intake. He said he used to be big on carb intake and keeping his fat intake low but has recently increased the fats (such as switching to whole milk instead of skim). I asked what his splits were between carbs, fat and protein but he said he didn't know which surprised me given his renowned dedication.

My suspicion is those players who are probably quite carb-intolerant (unlikely to be Cornes) would be on the more extreme limited-carb intake during the off season - someone like Alipate Carlile who was dropped for fitness reasons a few years ago.

EDIT - I can't seem to show the full Twitter thread but follow the link above for the full discussion.

Chatting to my Osteopath today (just set up his practice: is excellent).

Mentioned LCHF articles, he is following something similar (says humans do need some base-line carbs to function to full capacity, but nowhere near the amount in 99% of diets - keeping a keen eye on Sweden) but he mentioned something relevant to the nutrition industry: university course material generally takes 5 years to get to approval, which means people graduating from a 5 year course are often learning information that is 10+ years older than current research.

While the discussion was regarding Osteos & Physios who stop reading/learning, no doubt it applies to nutritionists who still cling to the old food pyramid that has been around for decades.

Chatting to my Osteopath today (just set up his practice: is excellent).

Mentioned LCHF articles, he is following something similar (says humans do need some base-line carbs to function to full capacity, but nowhere near the amount in 99% of diets - keeping a keen eye on Sweden) but he mentioned something relevant to the nutrition industry: university course material generally takes 5 years to get to approval, which means people graduating from a 5 year course are often learning information that is 10+ years older than current research.

While the discussion was regarding Osteos & Physios who stop reading/learning, no doubt it applies to nutritionists who still cling to the old food pyramid that has been around for decades.
Except that from what I can see, the 2013 Australian Dietary Guidelines are compiled as so:
NHMRC has commissioned a careful and detailed analysis of around 55,000 new research publications that have appeared since the last version of the guidelines a decade ago (2003).
https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/media/news...tary-guidelines-and-infant-feeding-guidelines

Ever tried to get a peer-reviewed study published?

I'm referencing material now from 2008 where the initial research was completed in 2001 - the lag times for full peer-review is horrendous; university students are still being taught RICE for injury treatment example, despite evidence that this harms rather than helps some injuries being around since the late 1970s.

Alright fellow LCHFers, can someone please outline it to me in relatively simple terms in regards to taking carbs around lifting/training/gameday?
Been reading up heaps (sticking to low carb sites/forums) and I just get more confused each time.

Thought you can only have it beforehand so it can be used up during exercise and you stay in ketosis, but then Im reading up pages saying its critical after workout as well and to avoid fats for at least 2hrs after lifting coz it slows protein but I swear Ive also read the opposite!

Then theres the different variations (CKD, TKD) no idea which one I should follow, my goal is to just gain lean muscle mass and get stronger for footy. Definitely do not need to lose anymore weight. 179cm, 71kg (dropped down and been on this weight plateau for as long as Ive been lchf.)
Anytime I complain about not gaining weight, mates tell me off thats its my own fault coz Im doing lchf, but Im confident this lifestyle is not only healthiest but also beneficial to my footy which is my main focus. (I lift with the sole intention of improving my footy, hence dont bother too much with gaining bulk mass/mirror muscles)

So yer, do I hit up the carbs before or after? Night before gameday? Hour before training/lifting?
What kind of carbs for pre/post workouts? Quick digesting, high GI (white rice) or lchf-approved starchy types (sweet potato/cauliflower)?
Avoid fats around exercise too? As they are slower to digest? but is a BP coffee 1/2hr before a morning workout fine?
Recommendations on which to follow out of CKD/TKD? Been on lchf for maybe almost 6mths now.

Apologies for the massive noob post, but I would really appreciate any feedback as I have no one to talk/discuss lchf to besides this board and all the human bio jargon on articles just go over my head defs not my strong point, would even rather deal with numbers and formulas!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back