LCHF- Low Carb / High-Healthy Fat lifestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
on a journey through time and space
How do you gangsters have your protein shakes; with milk? Cream?
almond milk

drool.gif

yeah definitely something I'll look into in the future, I think I can call myself an associate nutritionist now based on my degree but would need to register with nutrition australia and all that, which is similar to the DAA based on their sponsorship, so thinking some sort of nutrition coach/health consultant/some fancy name that makes it sound like I know what I'm talking about, I have majors in both nutrition and exercise science so can talk about both aspects really. Are you in melb? Want to make the business together? :)
yes I'm in Melb - east suburbs.
Do you think if i did this post grad certificate this would allow me to register as an associate nutritionist with the NSA? I dont have a science degree.

melaniej

Team Captain
May 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
yes I'm in Melb - east suburbs.
Do you think if i did this post grad certificate this would allow me to register as an associate nutritionist with the NSA? I dont have a science degree.
Me too
You don't need a science degree for most courses in nutrition
Professional recognition
Growing public interest in the relationship between diet and health is evident and, as a result, there are increasing demands from the public for reliable and trustworthy information. In response, the Nutrition Society of Australia (NSA) has developed a ‘Register of Nutritionists’ to establish a list of appropriately qualified nutrition professionals.

As a graduate of this course, you may be eligible for registration as an ‘Associate Nutritionist’ as the criteria for eligibility is a Bachelor of Science degree majoring in nutrition or equivalent. Following three years of relevant work experience, Associate Nutritionists are able to apply for ‘Registered Nutritionist’ status. For details about the registration process, please refer to the Nutrition Society of Australia website.
From Deakins' Graduate Certificate of Human Nutrition, so I'll say yes, after a grad cert you'll be able to register.

ablett

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Fremantle

Water & You should add some fat , it's not natural to consume protein only, show me natural protein source that doesn't hve fat rapt around it so a protein shake should replicate this, add cream, coconut cream/ milk /oil or mct oil , olive or a nut oil.

ablett

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Fremantle
Me too

From Deakins' Graduate Certificate of Human Nutrition, so I'll say yes, after a grad cert you'll be able to register.

The Nutrition / Health industry isn't regulated so Just call yourself a Holistic wellbeing or health coach
N preach what you wish.
I call myself a nutritional researcher!

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
And just think if you study at Deakin University’s School of Exercise and Nutrition Sciences, according to their own website gives examples of prospective employers that include CSL, Unilever, Spotless Catering, Nestle, National Foods, Fonterra, Simplot, George Westons Foods, Yakult, Sanitarium, Kelloggs... The health of the nation is in good hands.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers

I use water and chuck in a few handfuls of mixed berries, a raw egg, and (starting last night) a couple of scoops of greek yoghurt. Vanilla whey of course - chocolate is for girls.

The yoghurt addition was a winner, I think I'm gunna stick with that.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Me too

Very willing to offer my assistance to any budding entrepreneur in this field :) I might be able to help you out with the business side of things

ablett

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Fremantle
usually have MCT oil with my pre workout drink but simply forgot today, felt incredibly weak about mid weights sessions, I assume that played a factor.

won't be making that mistake again

Yeah MCT oil is a good pre w/o tool .
Also 200-400mg Caffeine pre workout will increase strength n help you power thru your session due to it raises testosterone n stimulates mTor, but not good idea if you train in the evening & intend on getting some sleep!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair play to her for trying it, but it's perhaps a shame she didn't adopt a few LCHF ideas along with Paleo, which might have enabled Paleo to work.

By the way she concentrates on Paleo being high protein, and how she overate vegetables to compensate for not having any carbs, and then complains of afternoon crashes as she didn't have enough energy, it's clear that she didn't eat enough fat.

It sounds like she accidentally embarked on a PSMF, which happened to be from Paleo sources.

The rest of what she says makes sense - ditch the processed foods, ditch the pizzas and cakes etc - but I think she's perhaps missed a fundamental element of what your diet requires if you drop carbs, and I hate the harking back to 'everything in moderation', 'the truth is in the middle', 'a balanced diet' etc.

Personally, my skin is amazing on this way of eating (although I think that's the sugar restriction more than anything) - to the point that I've had multiple customers in a day remark on how clear my skin is!

Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
was skimming through, saw this... stopped skimming and closed article
And yes, this is a fad diet. A fad diet is when ‘a particular food or food group is exaggerated and claims to cure specific diseases. When foods are eliminated from an individual’s diet because they are viewed as harmful, and when an emphasis is placed on eating certain foods to express a particular lifestyle.’

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Shits me when people talk about "food groups" no such thing as its just a man made term. Their are only 3 groups and they are your Macro's. Fat, Protein and Carb and its a combination of nutrients from them not exclusive from so called groups like grain, dairy fruit, meat etc.

In another of her posts on balance she said-

"Eat well. Healthy foods, most of the time. Eat whole foods, less processed, lots of plant based. Don't over eat. Moderate alcohol. Water, drink it!"

Didnt she just complain about Paleo being to focused on plant based vegies? Add some protein and fat and yo have Paleo. She also said people should only be eating between 40-70g of fat, no wonder she was feeling crap.

Interesting when she talks about "Scott" reading her bio thats Pie Scott Pendlebury, so when she is doing the WAG thing at the next player get together she should tell little Gazza how silly his fad diet is and copy Scotts way of living.

The Nutrition / Health industry isn't regulated so Just call yourself a Holistic wellbeing or health coach
N preach what you wish.
I call myself a nutritional researcher!
the problem is you cant get insurance though. So if some overweight housewife keels over I dont want her husband being able to take my house.

ablett

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Fremantle
the problem is you cant get insurance though. So if some overweight housewife keels over I dont want her husband being able to take my house.

Correct, without accreditation your unable to obtain public liable to protect yourself against reasons you mentioned.
So You just need to be smart how you go about it , you give your clients a copy of your diet then if they follow it the liability is on them.
You can taylor the diet to suit there needs & present it to them as , This is what my wife eats if you'd like to a have a look.
You need them to repy yes so then you have their concent to show them & what they do with it is on the accord.
Geez now you no my secret!
There's always loopholes , you just need to find the one suits your needs.

No different to someone reading in a Magazine or Internet .

Once you start telling them what to n what not to eat n it causes issues is when your attracting dramas.

Disclaimer:
The following information is in character & by no means intended as fact.

Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Fair enough, but don't some people on here believe if they eat LCHF/Paleo etc. they will never get ill?
First of all I don't believe ablett makes out this lifestyle (read lifestyle not diet) makes you invincible, he even went as far to publish some of his blood work which showed he had a couple of areas for improvement. Bazzar , evo, Nickos66 , melaniej and I (amongst others) would certainly attest that it makes you feel a lot healthier and those of healthy mind and body are by their very nature less likely to fall ill (both short term and long term).

Regardless it doesn't really have anything to do with the quotation from the article which is so asinine and ignorant it defies belief. Sure there's plenty of scope for spirited debate in this field but she is so far off base it isn't funny.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back