Universal Love LRT Retires - Tributes and News

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't remember the final Norm Smith tally, but I thought Fosdike was our best in the 05 grand final. West Coast deliberately peeled off LRT in our defensive 50. But LRT's disposal, even in acres of space, was magnificent that day....

Just my memories of the game.

I always thought LRT got a very unwarranted reputation from opposition supporters due to his gangly frame and awkward running style. The reality was he was a highly reliable player, able to play roles consistently to a high level, with a competitive instinct. Definitely a far better player than the wide perception, and a good servant for many seasons. Well done Lewis!

Thanks LRT. Still think your best game was when you had to play chb on tippett in 2012 qualifying final after playing chf all year.

His 2012 finals series was very underrated, I thought. The thing that I think most people will remember about him is his competitiveness. One of only a handful of dual premiership players for the Bloods (hopefully will be joined by a few more in September).

Anyone got the footage of him selling some Candy to Merret before slotting a goal against the lions?

A few endearing LRT memories.

Being interviewed by Channel 7's Brett Kirk after a game. After Kirky thanked him, LRT replies with "No worries Cap."

His miss running into the goalsquare and from about a metre out. It was early in the game and worth a chuckle. Might also have been against Brisbane.

Tapping Leo on the bum after THAT mark.

Loved the great LRT.
Gee, what a great name from 05-06 era.
Epitomised the Swans ethos - tough, hard, forever putting in that last effort.
A key part of that fabulous drought-breaking flag for this great club.

He was my Norm Smith in 2005. Sad that the Chickenwing Gouger spoilt the moment.

farewell - LRT!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LRT, the hyphenator... Gone. As Nool Carpenna said, could see it coming an absolute mile away but doesn't make the hurt any less.

Shattered I can't be there to send him off this weekend but am happy I got to see him in the 2s the other day before the Dons game. I think he knew it was time a while ago. His body has been put through a fair bit over the journey but he's managed to eek out an amazing career none-the-less.

Absolutely love the bloke. He has epitomised the bloods spirit and our ethos for so many years... He has always just played his role for the team. No matter where on the field against any opponent. No ego and without question at 110% effort. He'd go in bloody hard to win the ball every time.

Of course there are the finals appearances we all remember. His performance after being played fwd all year to cover Tippett down back in that final against Adelaide was a credit to his versatility and one I'm very happy to have been at live to seen his efforts first hand.

One of my favourite moments was his 150th where his grit and toughness got us over the line against a Freo on the rise. I was lucky enough to get a seat right on the boundary line, in the pocket so I thought none of the players would walk all the way round there post game and just go behind the goals (like normal) however, after the game LRT came over to our little part of the ground and I managed to give the hyphenator a high five on his 150th... (relive the moment here http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/swans-on-song-as-they-win-for-lrt-20120407-1wi76.html). For those there on the day, that tackle was one of the loudest I reckon I've ever heard... Didn't he fracture his jaw or something?? Anyway...

I could go on about LRT, as we all could. So many great moments from him over the journey and a real cult hero at the club. I'm going to put on my LRTee as soon as I get home tonight and watch a re-run of the 2005 GF in tribute.

Congrats Lewy. You've served the club with such distinction and had a fabulous career. I hope you have a sensational post-footy life mate.

gotta love LRT. Squeezed everything out he could, and was team first. 2 cups and should've had the Norm in 05. Thanks old mate. 179 games, 2 cups!

Earnt everything he achieved, there was no easy route for LRT. An ornament to the club. I remember taking the kids to a family day and the way he presented himself and treated them was just fantastic, you could tell he was well bought up and a credit to those involved with him. Right up to the finish of the career he always appeared humble and appreciative. Love the hyphenator.

A GF legend of our club. Two time premiership player and Norm Smith medalist;), well he will be when Juddy hands it over......We will all miss you LRT!:(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back