Lukas Webb is my boy.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's almost time to change this to a toast to Webb, his first two games of AFL footy have been incredible. Showing the composure and play reading of a 100 game player. Would be interested in his intercept mark numbers. It's incredible how quickly he has adjusted to the pace of the game in order to read the play and position for these intercept marks. This showed with his second touch in afl footy vs hawthorn where he held on to the ball for that extra second to find a better option. He has a very nice leg on him too. Pass that hit up stringer on the weekend was outstanding.
When we picked him up on draft day as a bit of a bolter I wasn't sure at all how much he'd play early on in his career and here we are in round 2 and he looks to be a best 22 player already. Very surprised and happy with how quickly he's progressed. Built like an afl footballer already and playing like one. I like the rich comparison but I think Webb is a Better mark and will play hbf more. Hope he is used to set play up of half back a lot now then pushes up to deliver it inside 50 too

I think it's almost time to change this to a toast to Webb, his first two games of AFL footy have been incredible. Showing the composure and play reading of a 100 game player. Would be interested in his intercept mark numbers. It's incredible how quickly he has adjusted to the pace of the game in order to read the play and position for these intercept marks. This showed with his second touch in afl footy vs hawthorn where he held on to the ball for that extra second to find a better option. He has a very nice leg on him too. Pass that hit up stringer on the weekend was outstanding.
When we picked him up on draft day as a bit of a bolter I wasn't sure at all how much he'd play early on in his career and here we are in round 2 and he looks to be a best 22 player already. Very surprised and happy with how quickly he's progressed. Built like an afl footballer already and playing like one. I like the rich comparison but I think Webb is a Better mark and will play hbf more. Hope he is used to set play up of half back a lot now then pushes up to deliver it inside 50 too

Thinking Luke Hodge, Webb has a definite hard edge and courage. Did a lot of team things to, blocks and shepherds. Impressive unit!

Thinking Luke Hodge, Webb has a definite hard edge and courage. Did a lot of team things to, blocks and shepherds. Impressive unit!
I am in awe of his marking ability
there was one mark early where he just threw his hands out & it stuck
he done this a few times with an opposition player on him like a backpack

With this new press were employing it's really great because our half backs who are supposed to be our most creative users, they're not only using the ball out of the backline but they are also getting the chance to deliver inside 50 because they're pressing so high up the ground to lock the ball in.

JJ had 8 inside 50s on the weekend! That's playing purely out of defence. Wood, Webb and Murph also had their fair share and not only that but JJ and Wood have been hitting the scoreboard too which is a huge asset. You need goals from your forwards and midfielders but when you start getting em from defenders (even Talia had a ping :p) that's a huge bonus.

I'm also liking the trend of the small/mid defenders were bringing in being really good in the air. Helps when they're employing the press like we saw with Webb and Wood taking heaps of intercept marks.

With this new press were employing it's really great because our half backs who are supposed to be our most creative users, they're not only using the ball out of the backline but they are also getting the chance to deliver inside 50 because they're pressing so high up the ground to lock the ball in.

JJ had 8 inside 50s on the weekend! That's playing purely out of defence. Wood, Webb and Murph also had their fair share and not only that but JJ and Wood have been hitting the scoreboard too which is a huge asset. You need goals from your forwards and midfielders but when you start getting em from defenders (even Talia had a ping :p) that's a huge bonus.

I'm also liking the trend of the small/mid defenders were bringing in being really good in the air. Helps when they're employing the press like we saw with Webb and Wood taking heaps of intercept marks.

Yeah I like how we've set up and how the defensive structure with all the team defence relies on guys dropping in to space on front of the key forwards and coming off their man hard to impact the contest. At the start of the season our defence lookes as though it would be a weakness of ours but the drink has brout out its strengths and put in place a good system. The foforward press also setting up repeat inside 50's is working nicely too but a lot of it relies on the small forwards heaping on pressure which makes it easy for the half backs to even come from behind to intercept and run on and have a shot. Loved the composure from our second gamer to lower the eyes and hit up big stringer leading out of the square though. The drink is giving the players a lot of confidence in their game and in each other. I think this is shown in JJ's game. He's one of our real confidence players so it's a small reflection of how the team is playing and right now he's flying. The solid making small/med backs reminds me a lot of those in the stingy fremantle back line, spurr, ibbotson, tendai all good marking small/medium backs. It's a great sign.

I'm not sure yet if he has the real leadership and voice of hodge though, time will tell but he seems to have the best traits of a number of different role players around the league. I'd almost go as far as saying he is elite in certain aspects of his game already. Kicks like rich, drops in to the hole and intercepts like Ibbotson who when in form is brilliant at this, and not forgetting he was 6th in the ability test at the combine as well. Can definitely see a 200+ gamer here.

Yeah I like how we've set up and how the defensive structure with all the team defence relies on guys dropping in to space on front of the key forwards and coming off their man hard to impact the contest. At the start of the season our defence lookes as though it would be a weakness of ours but the drink has brout out its strengths and put in place a good system. The foforward press also setting up repeat inside 50's is working nicely too but a lot of it relies on the small forwards heaping on pressure which makes it easy for the half backs to even come from behind to intercept and run on and have a shot. Loved the composure from our second gamer to lower the eyes and hit up big stringer leading out of the square though. The drink is giving the players a lot of confidence in their game and in each other. I think this is shown in JJ's game. He's one of our real confidence players so it's a small reflection of how the team is playing and right now he's flying. The solid making small/med backs reminds me a lot of those in the stingy fremantle back line, spurr, ibbotson, tendai all good marking small/medium backs. It's a great sign.

Was a great hit up by Webb but I would have love to see him have a crack at the sticks. He is such a beautiful kick he needs to have the confidence to have a ping when within range.

When we picked him up on draft day as a bit of a bolter
I thought he was a slider TBH - Robert Walls said he was the most talented kid to play APS football (and bear in mind De Goey also played and went at pick 5). Very happy we got him, but how much must we have rated Toby Mclean to take him first?

There's a period of play in the third quarter where webb easily absorbs contact on the wing and shoots out a handball and for about 5 minutes was just clipping everyone in his way. It was outright crazy aggression in the back half. Loved what I saw

I thought he was a slider TBH - Robert Walls said he was the most talented kid to play APS football (and bear in mind De Goey also played and went at pick 5). Very happy we got him, but how much must we have rated Toby Mclean to take him first?

Robert Shaw. If it was Robert Walls we would need to dump the kid ASAP.

Webb has looked really good thus far, but I think some people are getting a little bit carried away. Comparisons to Luke Hodge and being called 'elite' in certain areas already?? I don't think so.

But he does seem to have a lot of composure and courage for a kid playing his first few games. We will see how good he really is when he starts to get shown a bit more respect by his opponents and he transitions to the midfield. At the moment I think Beveridge has really looked after him, letting him float around a kick behind play. Couldn't have asked him to do much more at this point in time, though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually, more along the lines of lovely left boot and tough with good decision making.
Quite so.
I was having a gentle dig at all of us posters who have been saying that Hodge is a thug and a sniper ... ;)

Robert Shaw. If it was Robert Walls we would need to dump the kid ASAP.

Webb has looked really good thus far, but I think some people are getting a little bit carried away. Comparisons to Luke Hodge and being called 'elite' in certain areas already?? I don't think so.

But he does seem to have a lot of composure and courage for a kid playing his first few games. We will see how good he really is when he starts to get shown a bit more respect by his opponents and he transitions to the midfield. At the moment I think Beveridge has really looked after him, letting him float around a kick behind play. Couldn't have asked him to do much more at this point in time, though.
It's too soon to compare him to hodge but if his disposal continues to run at a high %, with the Pentetration he gets on his kicking I don't think it will be too long before he starts being labeled an elite kick.
Was a great hit up by Webb but I would have love to see him have a crack at the sticks. He is such a beautiful kick he needs to have the confidence to have a ping when within range.
If he didn't have the higher% option of hitting up the leading forward directly in front of course he should've had a ping. It's good fit the team that he passed it off though, the forwards will keep on presenting if they get rewarded like that

Still need another half back imo. A Murph replacement. Can't just rely on one guy to distribute the ball out, particularly with so many sides looking to press high up the ground as the game continues to develop.

Biggs was the quarterback all pre-season

I absolutely love this kids ability to stand up and take a decent contested grab. It's been a really pleasure to watch him do it with confidence since his first game, but he did it against the Swans in the wet where the pressure was massive. A very cool player.

This kid is dead set something else. I can't remember the last kid to come in and play his first 3 games of AFL football and look like he is playing his 150 game of football. Stone cold, no panic, sure hands, reads the game extremely well... i think him being a defender may actually hide how good he has been. If you convert his game stats and performances as a defender into the equivalent game to a forward... it would be akin to Dahlhaus' explosion onto the scene perhaps. Our drafting is simply insane this era... insane i tells ya!

IT'S LINSANITY!!!!

This kid is dead set something else. I can't remember the last kid to come in and play his first 3 games of AFL football and look like he is playing his 150 game of football. Stone cold, no panic, sure hands, reads the game extremely well... i think him being a defender may actually hide how good he has been. If you convert his game stats and performances as a defender into the equivalent game to a forward... it would be akin to Dahlhaus' explosion onto the scene perhaps. Our drafting is simply insane this era... insane i tells ya!

IT'S LINSANITY!!!!
Driving me MACRAEZY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back