Opinion Luke Ball must be at Collingwood in 2015 (poll added) (Thread now closed)

Should Luke Ball be part of Collingwood's 2015 plans?

• Yeah

Votes: 30 83.3%
  • Nah

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

FadeAway

Club Legend
Sep 28, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle United
All the talk that Luke Ball doesn't have a guaranteed contract in 2015 is of somewhat a concern for me. He has come back into the side and has been a solid contributor. His long term replacement in Taylor Adams hasn't set the world on fire and for my mind is still a little green. Not ready to take Ball's place.

In times when we have been under the pump on the field, we tend to lack leadership on the field and Luke Ball provides some of that leadership. If Ball is fit and can play he is in our best 22.

Thoughts?

Disagree. Love what Luke has done for the club but sadly I think it's time.

Adams showed what he is capable of when given a clear run in Ball's position as the year went on and he must be the main man as our No.1 inside mid going forward.

Thomas also needs opportunity - there's gold to be found there too, as we saw on weekend.

Wouldn't be opposed to seeing Ball in some kind of coaching role if he's up for it but his pace is gone, body seems shot, disposal too poor.

Him starting as sub in spite of our injury decimation on the weekend says it all unfortunately.

Keeping Bally around the place is important. And he will warrant selection in 10-12 games next year if he's fit. Whilst I agree that Thomas and Adams require game time I think Bally still warrants 30% game time in the guts as an extractor. So spread the load boys. All of them can rotate through the middle and LB can rest on the bench or nick forward and scrounge a couple of goals as well. Leadership will be vital in 2015 and Luke Ball is a leader to his bootstraps.

Can't believe people are calling time on Ball. One of the only genuine leaders the club has.

Didak and Jolly were finished but, like Maxwell, Ball has so much respect, experience and leadership in the AFL to still offer, he is just too important to discard like a used broken part. Pies have lost thousands of games of experience already this year, can't afford anymore.

If he wants to play on like he has indicated, sign him up! Not even worth thinking about.

I called his career over a number of weeks ago, (may still be) however, he was inspirational in the last quarter, (maybe inspired by Caff?) and I think he earned another year.
It's all well and good to say player x is a champion bloke or champion of the club; reality is the right decision for the team needs to be made.
That said, I think we need his leadership and just be upfront with him and say TA, Beams, JT etc are first cabs off the rank and we'll see what happens.

It goes without saying that it depends on his mind and body. If they are REALLY up to it then I think he should go around again. But I think he has to accept that he will now be very much a support player for the next generation which may mean more time in the green vest or VFL.

If he can truly accept and commit to this role then sign him up.

Agree strongly that Ball should be back next season.

Firstly he is still productive and still adds an ingredient critical to winning - being his hardness around the ball and inside game.

The most important ingredient is the leadership and professionalism he offers. He leads by example. Outside of Pendlebury no one else at the club trains harder and puts in the same attention to detail. His being around the club and playing helps the development and helps instil the right habits and way to go about their footy.

As far as I'm concerned the longer Ball remains at the club the better. Better for our chances next year of being relevant and also long term for the growth of our youth.

Need him to mentor the young kids for another year and help Pendles out with infield leadership. He can play as a half forward, high forward pocket who can hold the ball in and be the extra set of hands dishing out around the forward packs. Sure his pace is gone and he can get found out on the wider parts of the ground, but if we use him wisely, we will benefit from it in 2015 and in the long run.

Must stay.

We need his leadership, intelligence & hardness around the ball. The guard is changing, however we still need his experience. If we continue to cull every player over 30 we will lose direction & our inconsistency (with a young team) shall continue. A slow, methodical changing of the guard is required.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't believe people are calling time on Ball. One of the only genuine leaders the club has.

Didak and Jolly were finished but, like Maxwell, Ball has so much respect, experience and leadership in the AFL to still offer, he is just too important to discard like a used broken part. Pies have lost thousands of games of experience already this year, can't afford anymore.

If he wants to play on like he has indicated, sign him up! Not even worth thinking about.

Ummm... People have called time on Maxwell as well....

Great post. Totally agree.

Losing Maxwells leadership on field hurt us a lot this season. Losing Ball as well would be catastrophic from an experience and leadership perspective.
The club shouldn't even be contemplating letting him go if he wants to go around one more time.

He definitely should be given a contract for 2015.

He may not be best 22 anymore, or hopefully by mid season next year JT, Adams, Marley even Freeman may force him out on form.

He is a different kettle of fish to players like Didak, Jolly or Krak, so you keep him on the list of 40.

I've said all along he deserves to play on if he wants to, let him make the decision, we've lost too much experience in the last few years to let Bally walk out the door when he's got more to offer.

If he wants to, let him play on.

Ball was one of our best at the start of the season. Adams may be the next Luke Ball, but what happens if he's a complete flop?

It would also be completely disrespectful to get rid of him. Who got us into the 2011 grand final?

It would also be completely disrespectful to get rid of him. Who got us into the 2011 grand final?
Respect simply doesn't come into it.

The club has to make unemotional decisions as to whether a player offers the club anything moving forward.

Club legends like Daicos were not afforded an extra year because they wanted to play on, so Ball won't be either.

If the club doesn't see Ball adding any value in 2015 then he won't be there.

For mine I think his best value will be more off-field and as a back-up player on-field, and that may be enough to warrant a spot. I see him very similar to James McDonald at Melbourne, getting rid of him stuffed Melbourne IMO and it was his leadership that was the issue, similar with Ball.

I'm amazed there is a debate. We lack leadership so clearly yet want to retire one of our only senior, experienced leaders. He stands up under pressure, Saturday nights last quarter is a perfect example. I could think of 10+ players who have provided less this year that should be future endeavored.

IMO that before the game against GWS I was sitting on the fence but I think that the way he goes about it on the field he has more to offer. most will ask is he part of our next premiership and I'd say No. but will we be genuinely in contention next year I wouldn't have thought so which means he can offer a bit in the next 12 months. we don't want to do what Melbourne did and get rid of all senior players. and given that Hudson / Lynch / Maxwell have all retired you don't want to lose many more around the club

we don't want to do what Melbourne did and get rid of all senior players. and given that Hudson / Lynch / Maxwell have all retired you don't want to lose many more around the club
Great point about Melbourne, cleared out the senior players and yet picked up Daniel Cross a year later to balance out the inexperience. What better leader to set an example on field and off than Bally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back