News Luke Ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be a ridiculous notion if we let him go. Start him as a defensive forward next year and manage his game time. We have a dearth of proven leadership outside of Pendles and Ball now that Maxwell's retired. Even if Ball only plays 10 games next year, it will be well worth it for his leadership and experience. A guy like him is also invaluable in finals - won't be as exposed on the spread and his contested game comes to the forefront.

Yes Ball should definitely play on in 2015. He's probably our best leader at the club along with Pendlebury and with Maxwell retired now I think it's crucial that the club retains some leadership and experience in the side. Ball's leadership and toughness at the contest will be invaluable for the younger guys.

We don't want to become like Melbourne were a few years ago and delist all our experienced players just for the sake of completely freeing up spots for our youngsters. I hope the club retains him and I hope Ball goes on to play for us in 2015. Sure he's declined in the past twelve months but I can't overlook his presence at the club and what he can offer at the club, especially with our young group lacking leaders at the present time. Ball will be a great mentor for Taylor Adams who'll be a gun for the club over the next ten years.

So the answer to the question is 'yes' I would keep him on in 2015.

Can play both rotating between on ball, bench and a HFF.

I don't agree. We need speed and hard runners through half forward, not inside mids having a rest. Ball has proven he can not impact at HFF. I would *fingers crossed* see this as Nathan Freeman's role in 2015, so in that respect Luke Ball should finish.

He should retire but the choice should be his. If he wants to play on let him.

Will be a ridiculous notion if we let him go. Start him as a defensive forward next year and manage his game time. We have a dearth of proven leadership outside of Pendles and Ball now that Maxwell's retired. Even if Ball only plays 10 games next year, it will be well worth it for his leadership and experience. A guy like him is also invaluable in finals - won't be as exposed on the spread and his contested game comes to the forefront.

Been saying all year play him as a defensive forward and give him small stints in the midfield

Could do alot worse

I'm unsure on Ball.
Don't think he's given much this season at all.
Hard to see him giving anything next year. Leadership wise what's he's going to do? Out coach Buckley on the field?
It it's leadership we want give him the role of a runner with more responsibility on him making decisions telling players where they should be running etc.

Can play both rotating between on ball, bench and a HFF.

But it means dropping a Buckley favourite in Pre-sha Blair.

Come on that won't happen.

If Ball wants to go on let him

I'm unsure on Ball.
Don't think he's given much this season at all.
Hard to see him giving anything next year. Leadership wise what's he's going to do? Out coach Buckley on the field?
It it's leadership we want give him the role of a runner with more responsibility on him making decisions telling players where they should be running etc.

Can you post anything without a jab at Buckley?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we do delist him, I'd definitely offer him a job on the coaching panel or Admin side of the game.
Ball has something that a lot of other footballers don't have, and that is a Brain. He is a very smart man.
You don't get elected to be the head of the AFLPA for no reason.
We need him at the club, be it as a player or working with the the Pies.
People like Luke don't come around too often.

Should Luke Ball play on in season 2015?

I say yes, I was probably initially against this but with a real lack of leadership and midfield depth, why not let him play on, as long as he understands he will spend time in the VFL.

Thoughts?

Well Leadership is the Only Reason I can see keeping him on.

Adams should be ahead of him for the 2015 Season

The same call was made on Dids and Jolly last year. Whilst it may hurt in the short term the club needs to look towards the future.

But it would hurt our Leadership in the Players Group? can we afford to take that hit?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back