Status
Not open for further replies.

Manimal_Dunstan

Cancelled
10k Posts
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Assistant Coach Luke Beveridge will depart Hawthorn at the end of the season after accepting a position with St Kilda Football Club.

Beveridge has accepted the position of Director of Coaching at the Saints for season 2015.

Arriving at Hawthorn in 2011, Beveridge has overseen the Club’s backline and was a valued member of the coaching group that led the side to premiership success in 2013.

Hawthorn GM – Football Operations Chris Fagan said the Club was disappointed to be farewelling a coach of Beveridge’s credentials.

“Luke’s been a fantastic contributor to our coaching team over the past three years, he’s developed great relationships with the playing group and has established a backline that’s well respected across the league,” Fagan said.

“Despite having offered Luke a contract to remain at the Club beyond 2014, we understand his aspirations to step into a more senior role and this position at St Kilda allows him to do so.”

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/hawthorn/news/2014-07-29/beveridge-to-depart-at-seasons-end

what is Luke Beveridge's credentials? besides a two year coaching stint.
Before his time at the Hawks, Beveridge worked at Collingwood as a development coach and also at Amateur club St Bede’s Mentone which he coached to consecutive C, B and A grade premierships. He also has a strong background in management in public service agencies.

Beveridge played 45 games at the Saints from 1996-99 after stints at Melbourne (42 games from 1989-92) and Footscray (31 games from 1993-96).

http://www.saints.com.au/stkilda/news/2014-07-29/beveridge-returns-to-the-saints-family

Coached St Bedes to back-to-back-to-back VAFA premierships (only team to do that through C-B-A grades). Was at Collingwood in 2011 (not sure about 2010). At Hawthorn in 2012-2013 (both GF years) and still there this year. Could be four straight GFs as an assistant, after three straight as a head coach at a lower level.

i dont know luke. dont know if hes good or not

but the thing that stood out to me is that its a director of coaching role. isnt that normally reserved for experienced past AFL coaches or long time assistants that never got a shot?

i mean alan richardson got the job at port in that role, after being in the system for the better part of a decade

luke seems to have been doing AFL coaching for 4 going on 5 years. 2 at the pies as a development manager and 3 at the hawks as a line assistant

Not sure what Director of Coaching does but I am glad he is coming from the Hawks.

Another Beveridge at the Saints...I'll drink to that!

Seems highly rated i hope this leads to a few more highly rated assistant coach signings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ask a silly question, etc etc... :cool:
I'm genuinely interested. I would have thought it's the senior coach's job to coach and that he wouldn't answer to anyone in that regard...

First move should be to implement my Arryn Siposs = Matty Suckling brainwashing program. Good get Saints.

I do wonder though; Didn't the AFLCA recently pass a ruling that teams couldn't approach coaches until the end of the season? They wanted to avoid clubs having to make a call on people who are going to new clubs. The Hawks would have to feel kind of weird feeding Bevo with all their IP knowing he is coming to the Saints in 3 months time.

He sounds like a solid pick up, and a great coach, but I'm not so sure on the position.

It seems that he does his best work in a developmental role. "Director of coaching" sounds more administrative than hands on to me, so we may not be using him to full advantage.

Also, for a club that isn't exactly rolling in cash, couldn't Pelchen have covered the role as head of football? Or even Richo taken on more responsibility, having had experience in that role at Port?

I hope that "director of coaching" more of a title than a role, and that he spends a majority of his time with the players.

I'm appointing myself Director of List Speculation.

what do you do?

:p

I would assume he oversees the coaching department / welfare and ensure that they operate within the club structures and value systems in order to achieve the desired outcomes based on where we are at now as opposed to where we want to be in 5 years time.

In layman's terms: I have NFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back