Toast Luke Beveridge ... take a bow!

Remove this Banner Ad

Might seem a silly thing to say , but Bev is a far better age demographic for where we are at.
That plastic nose they used to look at every morning must have been a source of amusement among the younger blokes. ( sorry if not politically correct )

What a job he is doing , I thought he had really lost it at selection with Cordy / Minson , but what would I know ?
Cordy may have been smashed in the ruck , as expected by all , but we win by 9 goals.
it make you feel great to be a Bulldog at the moment .
Time the Church of Beverage got off the ground Vital :D
I think there is a lot in that. The "old" coaches are on their way out. Malthouse sticks around to break records but the job is clearly taking its toll on him. Eade has made an ill-timed comeback. But all the other coaches are a decade or more younger. The teacher or father figure is no longer what young fellows respond best to. Bev is someone who can identify with the players and be the boss without being an authoritarian (although he might be, I don't know).

He he. Funny one.

See at about the 2:08 minute mark.

It's one of my favourite quotes from Aussie TV. I remember watching the Logies live the night Bert said that. Muhummad played along with the faux pas really well.

He has introduced game plans and strategies that cover over our weaknesses and make use of our strengths. This is not simply a matter of choosing a few new items from a picklist in the coaching textbook. He has been creative and thoughtful.

He has coached the group according to the talent and skills the players had, rather than trying to turn some guys into the types of players they would never have become.

Yeah, this has been the biggest turn around for me.

Macca's mindset was "these are your weaknesses, we will work on these areas of your game."
Bev's mindset would appear to be "these are your strengths, let's utilise and exploit these areas of your game."

Early days sure, but the signs are very good and the buy-in appears to be universal across the entire club and supporters. Great stuff. :thumbsu:

Watching this Malthouse interview its easy to see the influence he had on Beveridge. You coach to your players strength.

Early days I know but Bevo must be one hell of a teacher because I can't believe how much smarter we appear to be.... We move to the right spots, we don't all chase the same player, we don't give off to the first player we see, just so much smarter it's amazing......

The players just look more organised, and you don't see our backs get caught out one on one .
More risk taking ( as they to not take a risk is the biggest risk of all)
The joint just looks a happy place to be, and what struck me was the looks on the players coming off last Sunday. It was a beautiful thing

Just watched Bevo's post Adelaide game presser again.
It's hard to believe it is the same guy who looked so wooden and lacking confidence when he first spoke after his appointment.
He is just so assured. He's understated, not getting carried away, but he is exuding confidence in the team.
He is calm, speaks with purpose, keeps to the point. No wonder the players are responding so well.
I'm impressed!
It will be fascinating to see how far he can take the Dogs.

KM

The team is setting up beautifully around the ground. Who knew you could teach an entitely new game system successfully to a side in one preseason?

As much as this is a positive for the current coach, it is a serious indictment on the previous incumbent. I'll leave it at that, other than to add that, with our new game plan, the goals do actually look after themselves! :eek:

I think there is a lot in that. The "old" coaches are on their way out. Malthouse sticks around to break records but the job is clearly taking its toll on him. Eade has made an ill-timed comeback. But all the other coaches are a decade or more younger. The teacher or father figure is no longer what young fellows respond best to. Bev is someone who can identify with the players and be the boss without being an authoritarian (although he might be, I don't know).
He's got natural authority and loyalty to his boys... And great footy smarts

If he can really focus in hard on a) making the most of our opportunities going into 50 and b) converting once we get a shot at goal he'll have a complete foundation and we can only rise from there.

My favourite thing about Bev thus far is that he isn't afraid to make changes. ie the ruck situation.

Also, he can change his tactics quickly. See WCE games, we got exposed massively through the corridor and over the back. This has improved significantly against the Tigers and Crows (appreciate we got opened up against the Hawks but to be expected given quality and our lack of personnel).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as this is a positive for the current coach, it is a serious indictment on the previous incumbent. I'll leave it at that, other than to add that, with our new game plan, the goals do actually look after themselves! :eek:

Been thinking a lot about this very point - for all Maccas limitations as a coach and for all the poor decisions he made in his time he was perhaps right about one thing - being hard on the senior players ...
Griffen Cooney and Higgins and even minson - this year has shown I think they would have only held this group back, that they did have too much of an opinion of themselves to not be discipline enough to implement a game plan.

What I like about Beveridge is that he has constantly praised the coaching staff that was there when he arrived and the professionalism of Brent Montgomery as his Senior Assistant Coach when at the time of Beveridge's appointment he would have been disappointed not to have gotten the job. In an interview with Nathan Burke on the ABC today, Burke mentioned a conversation he had with a senior player at the Bulldogs, this player said that Beveridge has brought the attacking flair back into the group, not just for the young players but the experienced players who know how to play the game, that they are all asked to back their judgement but also be prepared to take on new skills. What I like about Beveridge he tells it as it is, no long monologues, just straight to the point talk after the game and prior to it. You only had to see Bob Murphy after the game with Barry Hall, they both had huge smiles, reckon Big Bazz likes Beveridge too.

No matter what level of footy is involved if your coach goes in with a negative mindset your destined to fail.

Now for all my issues with Macca IMO his biggest mistake was he had this from day one.

At his speech when he got appointed he spoke of a 6-7 year plan, now even if this is honest its negative and doesn't need to be said. Now I get the irony of my begative speech here but I'm not leading the men I speak of and if I was how could I expect them to follow me?

His coaching structures and methods were ALL from a negative starting point with no positive forward plan b. You cannot shackle naturally talented footballers at times you simply have to just let them play footy and enjoy doing it.

At the end under Macca it was clear the players were feeling the pressure of over coaching and pressure that Macca had placed on them and were playing like it was a task.

Bev looks to have learnt from this and has been very positive and has released the guys to play the footy they are now.

Whipping a horse doesn't always make it run faster sometimes it just pissed it off.

Beveridge is the only coach in Amateur football history to have taken a side in 3 consecutive seasons to 3 consecutive Premierships ...And all beginning from C Grade to A grade.

This bloke knows the fundamentals of the game & can see which players styles suit which positions best quicker than most.

Oh yeah....And thank Beveridge for pinching Webb from us, you ******* pricks!;)

Beveridge is the only coach in Amateur football history to have taken a side in 3 consecutive seasons to 3 consecutive Premierships ...And all beginning from C Grade to A grade.

This bloke knows the fundamentals of the game & can see which players styles suit which positions best quicker than most.

Was he on your radar by reports?

Big thank you to Luke Darcy who (according to Peter Gordon interview on TFS on Sunday morning) was the member of the coaching selection panel who put forward Beveridge as a candidate.

I really like the way he went about it.

Say that again?

I REALLY like the way he went about it.

I've wondered whether other clubs were onto Webb. Was it just the Hawks board talking him up or does someone have some inside info that your club wanted him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back