Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Commissioner

All Australian
Dec 22, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
http://www.3aw.com.au/news/western-...ce-of-essendon-34-on-3aw-20160211-gmrwtr.html

The whole AFL is a boys club with a bubble mentality.

This quote for me sums up the ametuer mindset that still permeates through the AFL ranks.

"Anybody who steps out of line or is a boat rocker probably doesn't last that long," he said.

"The Essendon players have been treated like a European cycling team who should know better.

"Well, no, they shouldn't know better because they had no grounding to work from."

I cannot fathom this.

At the AFL induction camp, EVERY SINGLE PLAYER ATTENDS upon being drafted into the AFL system, they are given a thorough run down on the AFL playing rules, the WADA code and the responsibility of each and every player.

The players are told that they can be prosecuted with no positive tests, that the intent to gain competitive advantage is evidence enough to cop a doping infraction.

This statement, to me, proves that even still within the coaches ranks of the AFL the Anti-Doping message isn't getting through.

"The Essendon players have been treated like a European cycling team who should know better.

"Well, no, they shouldn't know better because they had no grounding to work from."

Seriously this argument that AFL players are seemingly 'special' (in every sense of the word), is just mind-numbing, but sadly it is presented persistently, from both inside the AFL tent and with most of the media.

FFS AFL players are adults They have individual responsibilities.
If they fail to meet those responsibilities they suffer the consequences.

You know like every other member of society that fails to meet their obligations.

At the AFL induction camp, EVERY SINGLE PLAYER ATTENDS upon being drafted into the AFL system, they are given a thorough run down on the AFL playing rules, the WADA code and the responsibility of each and every player.

The players are told that they can be prosecuted with no positive tests, that the intent to gain competitive advantage is evidence enough to cop a doping infraction.
The players are taught this at Under 18's level before they even enter the AFL system.

Beveridge, another essendon mouth piece. What would he know? Has he ever been in a team environment, or coached an AFL team?
From the quotes attributed to him, not a lot.

Maybe if the players had received education about drugs and the WADA code this whole episode wouldn't have happened hey Lukey?

FFS........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the European cycling teams should know better, but our Bombers are good honest blokes that you'd love to have a beer with and couldn't possibly be expected to know what goes into their good, honest, guide dog training, red-cross donating bodies?

http://www.3aw.com.au/news/western-...ce-of-essendon-34-on-3aw-20160211-gmrwtr.html

The whole AFL is a boys club with a bubble mentality.

This quote for me sums up the ametuer mindset that still permeates through the AFL ranks.

"Anybody who steps out of line or is a boat rocker probably doesn't last that long," he said.

I cannot fathom this.

This statement, to me, proves that even still within the coaches ranks of the AFL the Anti-Doping message isn't getting through.

Problem with AFL people they live in a bubble, and have no idea about aspects of anti-doping. Hence when Essendon gone done they couldn't understand why and make stupid comments. Players and coaches now need to be very understanding of the WADA/AFL Anti-doping code and understand the ramifications for breaching it.

Luke, welcome to the real world of sport.

Love it, A lot of people on our side now, Public starting to see how AFL clubs operate and how the players were put in a terrible position, They've been extremely brave.
Not clubs, don't lump the rest in with the efc.
There is only one club that has a criminal conviction.

Love it, A lot of people on our side now, Public starting to see how AFL clubs operate and how the players were put in a terrible position, They've been extremely brave.

No, only stupid, naive AFL people are on your side. Says much about AFL Clubs and naiviety in regards to anti-doping and strict liability. It's not about how they operate but how they are supposed to operate.

Players weren't brave, they were extremely stupid and paying the price of their stupidity. Can't say they weren't warned about aspect of anti-doping and strict liability.

Interesting to see other teams get behind the Bombers. Pretty clear the whole league is doped to the eyeballs and genuinely shocked one of their own has been caught.

You're probably right. Makes me think of Andy Schleck, who won the 2010 Tour de France after Contador had it stripped. He said he still considered Contador to be the winner because he won it on the road. He was never busted, but his brother and teammate Frank Schleck copped a suspension a few years later. Comments like his raise eyebrows to me - Luke Darcy's defence of Jobe was sickening, especially when he was a client of Dank.

It won't sit well if either Cotchin or Mitchell turn down the Brownlow (if it's offered).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back