Remove this Banner Ad

mcday

All Australian
Sep 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
In the light of all the (deserved) negativity, thought I'd try to bring up something positive.

How good has Browny's last month been? IMO his improvement/emergence along with Crouch, Laird, and Lynch has been the highlight of the season. He's as defensively sound as any young small defender in the AFL, and has the ability to pinch hit in the midfield rotation. He was a little tentative with his disposal early in the season, but recently has been hitting targets out of the back half well. Him and Laird both have excellent hands in tight as well. He really has some toe as well, chased down Dahlhaus who isn't the slowest bloke around.

One of the positives that I am taking from this year is that we are building a strong base from defense and that the candidates will be in those positions for ten years ( assuming that Hartigan takes CHB when Truck retires/put in old folks home...and assuming Rielly doesn't go back there ever again). That is one part of the field done.

This may have been a painful year but getting these games into kids in defense will pay off in the next couple of years

Brown dogs confidence to run and carry the ball has been the most noticeable sign of improvement for mine.

Had a tendancy to win the ball, quickly give off and then go back and find his man (which is fine). He's starting to drift up the field more, and run to link up. Good signs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brown dogs confidence to run and carry the ball has been the most noticeable sign of improvement for mine.

Had a tendancy to win the ball, quickly give off and then go back and find his man (which is fine). He's starting to drift up the field more, and run to link up. Good signs.
Agree. Much like Talia last year, most of the year Brown seems to have focused simply on his defensive aspect of his game. Now that he seems to be getting more comfortable at AFL level his offensive side seems to be coming to the fore which is a positive as his ability to create coming out of defense was one aspect of his game that was talked up as a junior.

Offensive drive from the back line has been missing both last year and this year. With Rutten and Talia both providing limited rebound, under Sando we have experimented with Jaensch, Martin, Tambling, DMac, Shaw, Reilly and Hendo, with only the last two achieving any regular success in this aspect of the game, albeit as loose defenders. I think in part this has kept Smith in the back line rather than the midfield.

Although a rebounding KPD would be nice, if Laird and Brown can keep developing the attacking side of their game the defensive unit starts to look a bit more threatening coming out of the D50.

After a bit of a slow start to the season, Luke Brown has quietly put in a very solid performance over the last month. He's beaten Jamie Elliot, Matera, and Ballantyne, and finally looks more confident with his disposal :thumbsu: One of the few positives in a pretty rubbish game.

Note: I am admittedly a huge Luke Brown fan, so you should probably ignore what I say about him :p

Hmm. Not sure about today. I guess you can give him the Ballantyne scalp, but I think it had more to do with the corky he received earlier in the game. He has however, lost a fair bit of confidence in his disposal lately. Needs to take the game on more (insert any Crows player here really).

Hmm. Not sure about today. I guess you can give him the Ballantyne scalp, but I think it had more to do with the corky he received earlier in the game. He has however, lost a fair bit of confidence in his disposal lately. Needs to take the game on more (insert any Crows player here really).
He just looks terrified that he'll make a mistake, which has always been the case for him. It's a shame, because he's a decent kick. Still, his defensive work remains top notch, whenever he's isolated against a small-forward he rarely makes a mistake.

Has been handed one of the most difficult roles that us playing on the oppositions most dangerous small forward and in my opinion is doing a pretty good job

Another bloody good game from the little fella.

Really enjoying how Luke is coming on. While he doesn't have the leg or agility of Brodie, the brute strength of Danger, the presence of Tex or the hair of Rory, he is quietly getting the job done on some of the best small forwards in the comp, week after week.

I remember Bass saying that he'd play over 200 games for the club, and am beginning to see why. Uber professional, smart, consistent and reliable. Everything we need and want from a small defender.

You never really notice him because his opponent never really gets near it either. Been a while since a small forward has got hold of us with Brown and Laird back there.

You never really notice him because his opponent never really gets near it either. Been a while since a small forward has got hold of us with Brown and Laird back there.
Breust says hello - but I agree he's coming along well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back